John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Please update when repaired. Specifically, I want to know if the dealer replaces the fuel pump driver along with the pump. Am interested to know if there's heat damage at the driver connector. Another member here had a failure and the dealer replaced both the driver and pump. Driver basically controls the on and off of the pump which means the pump could draw too much current when it fails which can bake the internals of the driver. Not saying this is your issue but trying to do some research for my own knowledge.

The fuel pump control module is a 30A on F4 which should blow before any damage is caused to the module but who knows if that's still true with the supply chain issues over the last couple of years.
I wonder if there's a mileage at which the pump won't fail, (will failing pumps have failed by a certain time) or if fuel pump failure is a worry overhanging the vehicle for years? I'm a year and 16,000 miles into my OBX.
Sponsored

OP
OP
scojosmac

scojosmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 / bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please update when repaired. Specifically, I want to know if the dealer replaces the fuel pump driver along with the pump. Am interested to know if there's heat damage at the driver connector. Another member here had a failure and the dealer replaced both the driver and pump. Driver basically controls the on and off of the pump which means the pump could draw too much current when it fails which can bake the internals of the driver. Not saying this is your issue but trying to do some research for my own knowledge.

The fuel pump control module is a 30A on F4 which should blow before any damage is caused to the module but who knows if that's still true with the supply chain issues over the last couple of years.
I pulled my fuse on the trail and it was still good ( swapped with another 30amp as well )

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wonder if there's a mileage at which the pump won't fail, (will failing pumps have failed by a certain time) or if fuel pump failure is a worry overhanging the vehicle for years? I'm a year and 16,000 miles into my OBX.
TBH, we don't see many failures on vehicles 5 years or newer. A lot of the bronco equipment is new and specific to that model, it could be a combination of engineering, design and supplier that have growing pains. I do know the old F150 drivers (the ones that bolt to the frame cross member and corrode) were larger than the one on the bronco. That doesn't mean one is better than the other but you could surmise that bigger means heat dissipation or heavier duty innards. Not that there have been numerous failures to report so far but it is concerning especially when out on a trail.

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Since this is under Ford warranty, it can go to any dealer for repairs. Can you leave it at a dealer that is local to where the pump failed and then get a ride home and back once it is fixed? Might save you a few hundred $$, though it's not super convenient.

Decked

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Guys at work are always inviting me to wheel at various offroad parks with my lifted XJ daily driver, and I'm always saying, "Hell no! I have to drive it to work on Monday!" LOL!

Hope you get it fixed quickly!
Hell, I drove my old 95 Discovery on the trails then to work on Monday. After a visit to the car wash sometimes. Funny how nobody ever wanted to park next to me on Mondays.....

Sponsored

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine failed yesterday while on a big group trail ride for Bronco Super Celebration West ( nothing like your bronco breaking while surrounded by 50-60 other 6g’s )

Now it hasn’t been confirmed it’s 100% the pump or only the pump but it’s definitely fuel related ( no pump noise )

Also Sprayed the intake with starter fluid and it fired right up.

2022 with 4200 miles
4 door
March 22 build
Was heading down a hill
3/4 tank of fuel at the time of failure

Idle RPM dropped to 500, threw A CEL ( p00c6 ) then It was done

finally off the trail after a bunch of good dudes pulled me out 31 miles off
but 200miles away from home. Ford road side only does 50 miles for towing. I’m stiffed with $800-1000 out of pocket to get it to my dealer.

might I add. I also have a cam phaser rattle at cold start up!

@Ford Motor Company I’ll need your help. This is my wife’s daily driver!
That guy that towed you is a saint!!!

OP
OP
scojosmac

scojosmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 / bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Will do. Dealership called. Should be going up in the air today. They will update me on the no fuel issue and cam phaser issue

CosmoTiki

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
56 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is is a new one. I have not heard of a cam phaser issue in the 2.7.
Unfortunately, I have the cam phaser rattle on mine. Started at just 2 weeks & 1,000 miles. It's been at the dealership for 2 weeks, which involved their discussion w/ Ford's TechLine that confirmed the cam phaser diagnosis. Hopefully they'll get the last part (oil pan gasket) & get it back to me this week.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Will do. Dealership called. Should be going up in the air today. They will update me on the no fuel issue and cam phaser issue
Where did you end up getting it towed to? Was Ford Roadside helpful?

Sponsored
OP
OP
scojosmac

scojosmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 / bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where did you end up getting it towed to? Was Ford Roadside helpful?
I bypassed roadside since they would only take it to the nearest dealership.

it’s at a dealership near my home

Reactions: 0ne

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I assume that was @Razorbak86 Bronco. I talked to the tech on Friday that repaired his. He said on the bench test the wires from the driver to the pump instantly melted the wire insulation when applied power. He was surprised it didn’t burn on the trail.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the 12V power was applied on the bench with no or too high of current limit then it could melt the insulation if there was a short in the component. On the vehicle the fuse should blow before melting the insulation, It seams unlikely that the wire gage in a fuel system component is wrong but stranger things have happened.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would be interesting to see what actually fails with these pumps. Is it the motor itself or a solder joint perhaps? I once had a pump quit on an 82 Camaro right after it was installed. It worked for several minutes then just abruptly stopped. I was thinking maybe a piece of dirt got into the pump and jammed it. I had read earlier that a trick is to jump the pump with a 12v jumper and run it backward for 1 second. I tried it and guess what, the pump started working and never missed a lick after that! I think if I were out on the trail and my pump quit I would try this. Id cant hurt anything and who knows, if the pump is mechanically stuck this will free it up.
Sponsored