Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are 100% right. If Ford constructed the 2.3 with the CGI block I would place my bet on the 2.3, but we all know that is not the case.
I think the CGI block material is a great advancement, but aluminum engines have been around for 60 years and commonplace since the mid '80s.

I have a little concern for the DI valve-fouling issue, but I intend to chemically treat the valves to avoid walnut blasting. Too bad there is no indication of adding port injection to keep the valves clean. Yet I still don't see the direct injection situation as a longevity issue.
Sponsored

GrandGrady

Big Bend
First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 SuperCrew, 2022 4dr Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't necessarily know if that's the case. The 2.7 is a more complicated engine than a 2.3, especially having the extra turbo. The CGI block is a good thing to have and a cool advancement, however when these engines fail it's not the block, it's usually turbos or top end. I mean crap even old engines are like that, my 4.6 is sitting in the shop with a blown head gasket right now.

Either way I think they are both good engines and I'm not particularly worried about either if properly cared for. Maybe get an oil catch can if you have a 2.3 though.

(Disclaimer: this is based off my personal experience, from relatives with the 3.5 and reading forums.)

ScoobyDrew

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Opinions are like a**holes, everyones got one
On a similar vein:

Opinions are the products of intellectual flatulence. They relieve the man giving vent to them, but pollute the intellectual air for others.
- Paul Valery

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I personally think owning any turbo motor 20 years is unlikely. Twin turbos even less. But then there is the coking issue with the 2.3 as well.

Hopefully there will be a (hose simplified) V8 we can bolt to the 7MT for a repower in the long run.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The 235 ci engine in my '51 Fleetline is still factory fresh here 69 years later, hasn't even had it's first rebuild yet. 6v is very forgiving on an engine.

Willing to place a hefty wager that A. that 235 will still be running in another 69 years if gasoline is still available, B. Neither engine from the 2021 Bronco will still be running in 2090 and C. i'll be long since dead so you wouldn't collect on the wager anyway. You've been let down and I gave up on you.

Ford Bronco 2.7 motor should be a longer lived trouble free  motor  over the 2.3 Copy of IMG_1369

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The 235 ci engine in my '51 Fleetline is still factory fresh here 69 years later, hasn't even had it's first rebuild yet. 6v is very forgiving on an engine.

Willing to place a hefty wager that A. that 235 will still be running in another 69 years if gasoline is still available, B. Neither engine from the 2021 Bronco will still be running in 2090 and C. i'll be long since dead so you wouldn't collect on the wager anyway. You've been let down and I gave up on you.

Copy of IMG_1369.jpeg
Ford and Chevy with their sixes are legendary for reliability. Dodge's slant six even more robust. I love inline engines!

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford and Chevy with their sixes are legendary for reliability. Dodge's slant six even more robust. I love inline engines!
Agree. I have a '06 BMW with 400,000 on the original engine. Still gets on it like a beast.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agree. I have a '06 BMW with 400,000 on the original engine. Still gets on it like a beast.
I forgot to mention BMW; like you I had one and it ran like a top.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I forgot to mention BMW; like you I had one and it ran like a top.
I6's are the best architecture IMO. Primary balance and secondary harmonics are ideal for low vibration and long life.

I assume the 2.3L has balance shafts?

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ford Bronco 2.7 motor should be a longer lived trouble free  motor  over the 2.3 Copy of IMG_1369
What is that 3rd hose coming out of the firewall below what I assume are the heater core hoses?

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I bought a jeep once and when i asked the guy how many miles on it he said look 160,000 holy cow, hes aid it taught 3 kids to drive didnt use oil but was hampered by a stupid early computer carb it never failed to start ever gotta love the 258 the 2.3 and the 2.7 will be nothing like it .

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The enemy of the turbo is heat. The 2,7 EcoBoost engine uses passive thermal siphoning for water cooling, “During normal engine operation, the engine’s water pump cycles coolant through the center bearing. After engine shutdown renders the water pump inactive, the coolant flow reverses. Coolant heats up and flows away from the turbocharger water jacket, pulling fresh, cool coolant in behind. This highly effective coolant process is completely silent to the driver, continuing to protect the turbocharger.”
And does the 2.3 have a similar system? Oil coking on turbo bearings is not a new problem and is well understood at this point some 40 years into turbo engines.

I would think that because Ford uses the 2.3L in fleet vehicles around the world, the turbo would have similar protections.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Too bad the 2.7 is a V6 and not an inline 6
Well at least they made it a 60 degree block. That helps with the balance. A lot of V6 are 90 degree blocks built on V8 production lines.
Sponsored