First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

He got 6.75 out, that's not the problem.
I know. He’s got an oil producing truck.
It may have been mentioned but, between the low mark and the full mark on the dipstick is usually 1qt for American vehicles and 1L for non-American.

Also, the "low mark" should be thought of "the least amount of oil for all operating conditions" such as going up or down a steep hill.

Unless you've got an oil burner, running closer to the "low mark" is better than being at the full mark as all oil protects the best at operating temp. The less oil you have, the faster it will get to operating temp. How much would this really help in the long run for your engine, IDK but, it won't hurt.

I've always run all my vehicles just a quarter above the low mark and check the level every two months.
i don’t think any of that is good info. First, the more oil you have the better it doesn’t overheat. Yes the difference between high and low is 1 qt. As far as running low, I had a 2003 GMC envoy with 4.2l inline 6 which was a good engine. At the time I used to keep my oil level at the halfway mark on the dipstick which was a 1/2 quart shy of the vehicle specs. If my oil ran a little below half In the hills in West Pa my engine would run dry and start fluttering like it was out of oil. Ever since I try to keep my oil level as close to full as possible, which by the way is the level when you fill all cars to spec afaik.
Sponsored

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I know. He’s got an oil producing truck.

i don’t think any of that is good info. First, the more oil you have the better it doesn’t overheat. Yes the difference between high and low is 1 qt. As far as running low, I had a 2003 GMC envoy with 4.2l inline 6 which was a good engine. At the time I used to keep my oil level at the halfway mark on the dipstick which was a 1/2 quart shy of the vehicle specs. If my oil ran a little below half In the hills in West Pa my engine would run dry and start fluttering like it was out of oil. Ever since I try to keep my oil level as close to full as possible, which by the way is the level when you fill all cars to spec afaik.
Yep, I guess individual results may vary as they say but, I've never had any problems with six vehicles that I owned running just a quarter above the low mark and never observed any overheating or excessive temps. This might be because if there are higher temps. then the thermostat valve would open up more to circulate more coolant thus keeping temps. in check.

However, I can see having mare oil would result in the oil spending more time in the pan thus allowing heat to dissipate through the oil pan. How much of a difference IDK.

If anything, any extra heat in the oil would probably reduce the oils drain interval (or more so its viscosity over time) but, I've always changed my oil at the vehicles manufacturer's severe service recommended drain intervals which are much lower than the severe service drain interval recommended by the oil I use plus, I've done a few oil analysis test and all came back good even recommending to extend my drain interval.

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
oil does expand when it is hot. This increase in volume when heated is known as thermal expansion, and occurs because kinetic energy
is transferred to the molecules of the substances which causes the the
molecules to move more quickly and increase the spaces between
themselves.

You can see this when checking the oil levels in your car. If you do it when the engine has been running for a while and is warm, the oil levels will appear higher on the dipstick than if you check when the engine is cold. For this reason you should always check before the car has been used to get an accurate reading.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
oil does expand when it is hot. This increase in volume when heated is known as thermal expansion, and occurs because kinetic energy
is transferred to the molecules of the substances which causes the the
molecules to move more quickly and increase the spaces between
themselves.

You can see this when checking the oil levels in your car. If you do it when the engine has been running for a while and is warm, the oil levels will appear higher on the dipstick than if you check when the engine is cold. For this reason you should always check before the car has been used to get an accurate reading.
Yeah but if you do the math, it's still pretty negligible. It may not even show up ona dipstick, let alone be a quart.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

do you suppose the 7 quart dipsticks are constrained and the 6 quart dipsticks used instead? :eek:

Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
do you suppose the 7 quart dipsticks are constrained and the 6 quart dipsticks used instead? :eek:
Is it possible it's the dipstick for the other engine? A production mistake?

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You do realize that there is quite a bit of oil below the low mark? Like 70-80% of the pan is below that mark and above the full mark the tube gets REALLY small in volume? Thanks for clarifying that you don't entirely know how a dipstick works though. 😉👍🏻🤙🏻

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Is it possible it's the dipstick for the other engine? A production mistake?
That's my worry at this point. Did I get a Frankenstein 2.7 from the factory (dipstick/oil pan issue) or is the Bronco 2.7 only a 6.0 quart engine like the rest of the 2.7s?

You do realize that there is quite a bit of oil below the low mark? Like 70-80% of the pan is below that mark and above the full mark the tube gets REALLY small in volume? Thanks for clarifying that you don't entirely know how a dipstick works though. 😉👍🏻🤙🏻
Did you even look at the picture? The oil level is half way up the dipstick. The oil marks are half a foot down from where the oil level is at. My dealer installed a replacement engine, failing to realize the revised engines do not come dry like the previous and filled it with oil bringing the oil level to 20 quarts.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

These aren't 3 qt engines. 6-7 qts, we are talking about what 15%?

I would compare your dipstick to another 2.7 Bronco the first chance you get, But meanwhile I personally would go by the dipstick. If you are really concerned, split the difference for now.

And I've never changed my oil after warming it up. All that dirty oil has been dripping to the bottom of the engine all night, I'm not going to start the car and restir it all up.

There is alot of wiggle room and is not an exact science. Oil technologies have come our really long way and most likely far exceed and can overcome differences and dipstick measurements.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Oil technologies have come our really long way and most likely far exceed and can overcome differences and dipstick measurements.
That's a pretty advanced oil technology if it can "overcome" significant overfilling. Can it shrink to take up 15% less volume with no impact to viscosity?

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's a pretty advanced oil technology if it can "overcome" significant overfilling. Can it shrink to take up 15% less volume with no impact to viscosity?
To clarify I was referring to filling to the top of the stick instead of to an owner's manual that we know for a fact is full of typos.

So you may or may not actually be one quart low and unless you're constantly drag racing it, since we know that's what the Bronco was designed to do, I wouldn't worry so much.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just scheduled a service appointment for next week so they can drain and refill to validate my 2.7 is only taking 6.0 Quarts per the dipstick.

He called back to a tech and they verified that the Bronco 2.7 takes 7.0 quarts of oil per the service manual.

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmmm, I work in a parts department and all the V6 EcoBoost engines take 6 quarts for an oil change. I'll check the shop manual when I get to work tomorrow.

VelocityBrew

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's my worry at this point. Did I get a Frankenstein 2.7 from the factory (dipstick/oil pan issue) or is the Bronco 2.7 only a 6.0 quart engine like the rest of the 2.7s?

Did you even look at the picture? The oil level is half way up the dipstick. The oil marks are half a foot down from where the oil level is at. My dealer installed a replacement engine, failing to realize the revised engines do not come dry like the previous and filled it with oil bringing the oil level to 20 quarts.
Again I don't think you realize how a dipstick tube works. 🤣

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hmmm, I work in a parts department and all the V6 EcoBoost engines take 6 quarts for an oil change. I'll check the shop manual when I get to work tomorrow.
Ford bumped up the Bronco 2.7 to 7.0 quarts. I have been trying to find any official commentary on it and this TBN article is all I can find.

It's troubling that they state, "Relatedly, Bronco’s 2.7L EcoBoost requires seven quarts of oil, up from the Ranger’s six, to protect parts while you do bold activities." Yet, the Ranger only comes in a 2.3 right now. Which adds further confusion to the fire.
Sponsored