Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmm, I work in a parts department and all the V6 EcoBoost engines take 6 quarts for an oil change. I'll check the shop manual when I get to work tomorrow.
Bronco got a specific pan considering the angles it was designed to drive at. There was a post and video months back. I'm sure I could find it if you'd like.
Sponsored

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Bronco got a specific pan considering the angles it was designed to drive at. There was a post and video months back. I'm sure I could find it if you'd like.
This makes a lot of sense.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

time to ask mike levine!

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes sense. I'll see what the workshop manual says about it.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If this is the case, it is feasible that the wrong dipstick is being used or at least on the OPs rig.

Maybe you should post for folks that have their 2.7 to post a pic of their oil level. Lets see if everyone is on the line or well above it?

OP: you said you filled a 5 qt jug and a partial milk jug originally correct? Since the milk jug is 4 quarts, is it half full or a quarter full?

Sponsored
OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If this is the case, it is feasible that the wrong dipstick is being used or at least on the OPs rig.

Maybe you should post for folks that have their 2.7 to post a pic of their oil level. Lets see if everyone is on the line or well above it?

OP: you said you filled a 5 qt jug and a partial milk jug originally correct? Since the milk jug is 4 quarts, is it half full or a quarter full?
The oil pan and the oil dipstick handle appear to be correct for the U725 engine. Can't say for certain if the oil dipstick rod itself without comparison is correct.

Correct, I filled an empty 5 quart jug and about a 1/4 of a milk jug. Since I did not have an accurate measurement of the milk jug I didn't want to bring that into discussion. Was not expecting to have to worry about oil capacity issues.

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Initial fill 7.5 qt (7.10 L)
Service fill with oil filter 7.0 qt (6.62 L)

If the engine is hot or was recently shut down, wait at least 15-minutes to allow the oil to drain back.

Demonstrate to the customer that the factory-calibrated marks on the oil level indicator are where the oil should fall after an oil change with the specified fill amount. Explain however, that this may vary slightly between MIN-MAX or the upper and lower holes on the oil level indicator.

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The oil pan and the oil dipstick handle appear to be correct for the U725 engine. Can't say for certain if the oil dipstick rod itself without comparison is correct.

Correct, I filled an empty 5 quart jug and about a 1/4 of a milk jug. Since I did not have an accurate measurement of the milk jug I didn't want to bring that into discussion. Was not expecting to have to worry about oil capacity issues.
That would be about 6 qts. Hmmm. Is a whole quart stuck in the engine somewhere?

Have you tried starting over completely? Taking that Femco valve off and let it drain for an hour.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Initial fill 7.5 qt (7.10 L)
Service fill with oil filter 7.0 qt (6.62 L)

If the engine is hot or was recently shut down, wait at least 15-minutes to allow the oil to drain back.

Demonstrate to the customer that the factory-calibrated marks on the oil level indicator are where the oil should fall after an oil change with the specified fill amount. Explain however, that this may vary slightly between MIN-MAX or the upper and lower holes on the oil level indicator.
Love clarity. Thanks. Now, how can you explain the OP's issue?

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love clarity. Thanks. Now, how can you explain the OP's issue?
Talked to some techs. Says it's a tough engine, lots of baffles in there so you literally need to let it drain for 20 minutes. And same as you gotta let it sit for 15 min minutes after to check the oil.

Also said that as the oil tube gets full it doesn't take much for it to show over on the dipstick, which makes sense, so the higher on the stick doesn't necessarily mean it's over by a lot.

And he mentioned that if the break in period was extremely babied, could make a small diff.

But the consensus is drain it for 20 minutes minimum. Add what the manual calls for and stop over thinking it.

But, this is unofficial advice. I know these are our babies.....

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My experience with most cars is they take about a quart less than capacity. And after running it, and letting it set, you need to add something less than a half quart to top up. As you measured, not all 7 quarts come out.

Follow the dipstick is the best practice.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So here is what bugs me...

After all we have seen with Ford over the last year, it seems most believe what is printed (or ePrinted) in Ford literature vs the physical dipstick that was installed by the engine builders?

Is the Oil pan different that the ones on the F150? How does this engine find room for a full extra quart of oil? Did ford forget to tell their engine part folks about the extra quart?

Sounds like the OP got ~6 quarts out. Basically every physical piece of evidence points to 6 quarts vs an owner's manual (prone to Ford's proofreading wizards) is the only thing claiming 7.