GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just changed mine, 6 quarts is what drained out and 6 is what went back in to the fill line 🤷‍♂️

Thank you for sharing, I thought I was crazy or was experiencing a fluke. Ford needs to update their oil capacity materials before issues start popping up.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Man those o-rings look like a pain. Hard to believe that places like jiffy lube actually replace those?

bigtexyahoocom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 S2000
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeeps had a whole thing with the 3.6 about only needing 5 quarts instead of the old 6 in the JL. It’s hilarious that Ford is having the same problem, but also be prepared to notify your service departments every time you pick it up. Some jeep owners are still struggling with this three years into the model run

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Man those o-rings look like a pain. Hard to believe that places like jiffy lube actually replace those?
Only the first time. I use a pick hook that is more shaped like hook and holds on better. There are special tools available also. I am very careful to not only not damage the o ring but also the filter canister. Picks are sharp and the canister is plastic. You can get the special o ring tools in blunt metal or plastic which would minimize any damage. I might have to pick one up since they are cheap.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Talked to some techs. Says it's a tough engine, lots of baffles in there so you literally need to let it drain for 20 minutes. And same as you gotta let it sit for 15 min minutes after to check the oil.

Also said that as the oil tube gets full it doesn't take much for it to show over on the dipstick, which makes sense, so the higher on the stick doesn't necessarily mean it's over by a lot.

And he mentioned that if the break in period was extremely babied, could make a small diff.

But the consensus is drain it for 20 minutes minimum. Add what the manual calls for and stop over thinking it.

But, this is unofficial advice. I know these are our babies.....
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but it's really been bugging me even with videos of people spending 30 minutes draining out only 6oz. The 2.7L F-150 owners manual calls for 6oz of oil. Why would the 2.7L Bronco hold and extra quart of oil vs F-150 2.7L...same engine.

Sponsored

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That was my first thought! I wonder how many extra baggies of o-rings they have!

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Screenshot_20210804-132949.png

Femco 6420001
How would using this allow you to drain the oil without having to take off the bash plate? I am genuinely asking because these are the things I think about before taking ownership.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven’t changed my own oil in 20 years and don’t intend to start again now. 👎
Well the bad part is these owners are having trouble getting the level correct vs someone who reall dosent care about your bronco.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
How would using this allow you to drain the oil without having to take off the bash plate? I am genuinely asking because these are the things I think about before taking ownership.
There is room to (barely) get your hand in above the bash plate to screw on the hose. No need to pull the bash plate.

Kludge

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
A little off topic but for those of us that don't change our own oil, would a shop charge extra to pull the skid plate?

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I checked my 2.7 oil level and from the factory it is nearly 1/2 inch above the max line on the stick. That leads me to wonder this...is it possible that the owners manual indicates 7 quart capacity because Ford PLANNED to use a different oil pan for the Bronco than the F150, and the engine line factory filled at 7, but that the early production run Broncos were fitted with F150 pans? I do not have access to a F150 or whatever other vehicle the 2.7 at 6 quarts fits, but if anyone else can get part numbers and compare apples to apples (or oranges) that might solve the mystery. I will call Ford today to ask what part number my VIN matches with for a replacement pan and at least find out if a unicorn 7 quart pan truly exists in the system. Regardless of 6 or 7 quart pans, the sticks would be the same because the distance from the top of the oil to the block should be the same for all 2.7s. Overfilling is bad...and splash/foaming/oil getting into the pcv system would not be good things.

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I checked my 2.7 oil level and from the factory it is nearly 1/2 inch above the max line on the stick. That leads me to wonder this...is it possible that the owners manual indicates 7 quart capacity because Ford PLANNED to use a different oil pan for the Bronco than the Ranger, and the engine line factory filled at 7, but that the early production run Broncos were fitted with Ranger pans? I do not have access to a Ranger or whatever other vehicle the 2.7 at 6 quarts fits, but if anyone else can get part numbers and compare apples to apples (or oranges) that might solve the mystery. I will call Ford today to ask what part number my VIN matches with for a replacement pan and at least find out if a unicorn 7 quart pan truly exists in the system. Regardless of 6 or 7 quart pans, the sticks would be the same because the distance from the top of the oil to the block should be the same for all 2.7s. Overfilling is bad...and splash/foaming/oil getting into the pcv system would not be good things.
Part number for 2.7 pan is MB3Z6675B and engineering number is MB3E6675BE. When I get the chance I will crawl around and try to figure out if my pan matches the part number. There are pans available, but no images I can find to review. I don't know who else to ask about the 6 versus 7 quart dilemma because sevice managers will simply use the manual capacities chart and not question the level on the stick. Anyone have an in at Ford engineering?

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another thought...I wonder if my high reading on the dipstick could be the result of dealer PDI...supposedly before the customer takes delivery PDI includes fluid level checks. Not too far-fetched to think a tech may check the oil level right after a test drive, and because he or she didn't wait 15 minutes for the oil to drain back went ahead and added?

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
1 year from now all engines using 6 quarts instead of the manufacturer 7 break and it will be pretty funny.
Then we file a class action lawsuit against Ford for supplying a faulty dipstick that showed 6 Quarts as full.
Sponsored