Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same issue. Ended up taking out about a half quart to get down to the top of the hask mark. Left me with 1 quart left of the 7 quarts I purchased. AKA it took 6 quarts to show to the full mark. I trusted the dipstick over the manual.
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2 cents

The pan has a capacity of much more than 7 if you took it off and filled it to overflowing. Probably more like 20. It is the freshly assembled and installed ENGINE PLUS ALL LINES AND FILTERS before the vehicle rolls off the assembly line that stated capacity is 7. In no world can you remove 100% of assembly oil unless you tear down the engine, and even then some oil will remain in nooks and crannies - or have evaporated. Hondas used to be known for using up a quart every 3500-5000 oil change interval and that was considered within factory specs and no adjustment necessary.

And draining the pan does not drain the actual pleats of the filter. Guaranteed that if the filter holds a quart and you drain 6 from pan you get 7 total. And no way you can drain the filter element completely after removal to measure just how much it held

So you can't put 7 quarts back into a "7 qt capacity" engine,
did you drain the turbo coolant lines?

Did you remove the filter canister and move it to its lowest point? (oil in BMW and Caddys remains in housing and has to be mopped up to remove)

Did you verify the part number (not of the pan) of the dipstick itself? We had Perkins diesel engines where dipstick part was dependent on s/n of the engine - or maybe the dipstick tube is a tad too short - OR (mostly on small engines with screw in dipsticks) maybe the level is not supposed to be measured with stick completely inserted, but out 3/8". Laugh if you must but I have seen this

Back in the day when filter changes were only factory spec'd for every other oil change there would be two capacities listed

Did you ever think, since this engine surely has a quart low sensor and warning that Fiord never intended there to be a dipstick? My BMWs have not had dipsticks and the solution has always been to install the specified volume

I have always felt that while under warranty the best oil service is from the factory authorized service center
My point about new pans and filling them is that if you put 7 quarts in the one that the manual says takes 7 quarts and 6 in the one that takes 6 they should both end up at the same measurement from the top of the fluid to the top of the pan...if they match, so too should the levels for the sticks. No one (even the dealer) is going to go to great lengths to ensure every drop of oil is out or put a timer on the fender to make sure x minutes have passed...they will most likely just throw 7 quarts of oil in there and send the vehicle off. That said, owners who have been trained in the value of checking their oil level manually without relying on an idiot light or oil level indicator will most likely panic when they pull the dipstick and note that it does not coincide with the recommendation in the owner's manual. I am assuming that this issue never plagued F150 or Ranger owners with a 2.7? Can anyone with one of those vehicles comment on whether or not their dipstick are accurate?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I'm a bit surprised that anyone would actually expect to get the full seven courts out on an oil change. A filter alone usually holds close to a 1/2 quart (Don't know about the specific cartridge type in these engines)

Add in some oil lines, or a cooler, some turbos, and you can easily lose one quart of oil in an engine.

I can see it now... Someone's engine starts having issues because they're dumping seven quarts in it and Ford comes back and tells him it's their fault because they didn't follow the 15 minute dipstick stupid rule.

Hell I wonder if Ford put that weird dipstick process in place just so they can blame somebody else for engine failures.

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So. Just did my first oil change on my 2.7L BL. I was dreading the big drain plug, but was a lot easier than I thought. No huge mess that I envisioned.
Yes. That dipstick tube is a pain.

When refilling, I added 6 quarts and checked. Bottom of the dipstick, 1 quart low. Added another quart and sits right at the top of the hashmarks. Drove around the block. Let it sit and recheck. Still at the top of the hashmarks.
So mine took 7 quarts fine.

I did change the oil cold. Sat overnight.
Pulled the filter first and let it sit for 10 mins afterwards before pulling the pan plug.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So. Just did my first oil change on my 2.7L BL. I was dreading the big drain plug, but was a lot easier than I thought. No huge mess that I envisioned.
Yes. That dipstick tube is a pain.

When refilling, I added 6 quarts and checked. Bottom of the dipstick, 1 quart low. Added another quart and sits right at the top of the hashmarks. Drove around the block. Let it sit and recheck. Still at the top of the hashmarks.
So mine took 7 quarts fine.

I did change the oil cold. Sat overnight.
Pulled the filter first and let it sit for 10 mins afterwards before pulling the pan plug.
Did you check it after it sat overnight yet? Mine took only 6.25 (but I got 6.6 to drain out and the oil level was almost 1/2 inch above the max mark at the time), and the shop foreman told me that the factory often overfills engines. Based on that, I am still a tad perplexed if you drained 7 and added 7 and your dipstick is accurate. Do you happen to have the part number for your dipstick?

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have put 100 of thousand miles on Cummins engines that say was 11 quarts… always put in 12… 3 1gal. Jugs… never a problem…. Also if people would use their brains… they would know there is never 7 quarts in the pan except when not running…. There is oil in the upper engine when running…not all in the pan … never seen a engine ruined with too much oil…. Just too little…

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you check it after it sat overnight yet? Mine took only 6.25 (but I got 6.6 to drain out and the oil level was almost 1/2 inch above the max mark at the time), and the shop foreman told me that the factory often overfills engines. Based on that, I am still a tad perplexed if you drained 7 and added 7 and your dipstick is accurate. Do you happen to have the part number for your dipstick?
Just checked after letting it sit overnight. It's right at the max fill dot/hole.
There's nothing that I saw that would lead me to believe that it didn't want to take 7 quarts.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just checked after letting it sit overnight. It's right at the max fill dot/hole.
There's nothing that I saw that would lead me to believe that it didn't want to take 7 quarts.
Lol well if you have to let the Broncos set overnight in order to match the capacity that the manual states, those jiffy lube places are going to be in a world of hurt.

EcoBco

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Recently changed my oil and got 7+ qts out. Which would make sense because from the factory they install 7.5qts.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Recently changed my oil and got 7+ qts out. Which would make sense because from the factory they install 7.5qts.
Something is wonky...given the number of folks who have been able to drain only 6, and add only 6 and hit the max level on the stick, and other folks being able to add 7, I'd love to know what the deal is...an oil change should not be so hard. Regardless of our personal beliefs about top much oil being harmful (as a mechanic, I can assure folks that this has happened to many people who have overfilled: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/tool..._If_You_Overfill_Your_Vehicle_With_Oil&type=4

Oil that contacts any rotating part of the engine assembly can aerate. It would be super helpful and most appreciated if anyone who has been able to get 7 quarts + out and at least 7 quarts back in AND whose end result of adding those 7 quarts = a level of up to (NOT over) the full mark on their dipstick would be so kind to send a pic of their oil pan and the part number on their dipstick (so those of us with mystery 6 quart systems can troubleshoot). As a recap, my 2.7 factory fill put the level at about 1/2 inch above the max mark, and I was able to get only 6.6 quarts to drain (after letting it drain well over an hour), and was able to get only 6. 2 quarts back in which put the level at max. I am a mechanic and I am very familiar with not only oil changes but also the end result of engines that folks have figured "if full is good more full is even better."

Having an accurate dipstick should not be such a tough thing to get right from the factory...sigh...

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Something is wonky...given the number of folks who have been able to drain only 6, and add only 6 and hit the max level on the stick, and other folks being able to add 7, I'd love to know what the deal is...an oil change should not be so hard. Regardless of our personal beliefs about top much oil being harmful (as a mechanic, I can assure folks that this has happened to many people who have overfilled: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/tool..._If_You_Overfill_Your_Vehicle_With_Oil&type=4

Oil that contacts any rotating part of the engine assembly can aerate. It would be super helpful and most appreciated if anyone who has been able to get 7 quarts + out and at least 7 quarts back in AND whose end result of adding those 7 quarts = a level of up to (NOT over) the full mark on their dipstick would be so kind to send a pic of their oil pan and the part number on their dipstick (so those of us with mystery 6 quart systems can troubleshoot). As a recap, my 2.7 factory fill put the level at about 1/2 inch above the max mark, and I was able to get only 6.6 quarts to drain (after letting it drain well over an hour), and was able to get only 6. 2 quarts back in which put the level at max. I am a mechanic and I am very familiar with not only oil changes but also the end result of engines that folks have figured "if full is good more full is even better."

Having an accurate dipstick should not be such a tough thing to get right from the factory...sigh...
The foaming is caused by the crankshaft dipping into the oil pool. The dipstick max oil level is well below the crankshaft... also quality oil has anti foam agent in it.... a quart over will not cause foaming... if it really is a quart over full....look on the dip stick... see any foaming????.... I going to stick with what the manual says.....

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The foaming is caused by the crankshaft dipping into the oil pool. The dipstick max oil level is well below the crankshaft... also quality oil has anti foam agent in it.... a quart over will not cause foaming... if it really is a quart over full....look on the dip stick... see any foaming????.... I going to stick with what the manual says.....
Are you going to stick with the part of the manual that says 7 quart capacity, or the part of the manual that says don't add oil over the max fill mark? It seems like in your specific situation 7 quarts does = the full mark, correct? In that case, you are fortunate. That is NOT the case for me and many others, hence my posts on this matter.

The shop foreman at my local Ford dealership say his mechanics will go with the dipstick fill mark.

Again, my point is that my dipstick (and apparently those of many others with 2.7 Broncos) does not appear to coincide with the listed oil pan capacity.

BTW, anti foam properties are not intended to compensate for overfilling a crank case. I don't expect anyone on this forum to take my advice or believe whatever I have to share, but ask your local mechanic and I would wager that he or she will explain why too much oil = bad.

Last edited:

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are you going to stick with the part of the manual that says 7 quart capacity, or the part of the manual that says don't add oil over the max fill mark? It seems like in your specific situation 7 quarts does = the full mark, correct? In that case, you are fortunate. That is it the case for me and many others, hence my posts on this matter.

The shop foreman at my local Ford dealership say his mechanics will go with the dipstick fill mark.

Again, my point is that my dipstick (and apparently those of many others with 2.7 Broncos) does not appear to coincide with the listed oil pan capacity.

BTW, anti foam properties are not intended to compensate for overfilling a crank case. I don't expect anyone on this forum to take my advice or believe whatever I have to share, but ask your local mechanic and I would wager that he or she will explain why too much oil = bad.
Will go with 7 quarts.... been on this plant for 70 years.... have lots of motors running with farming.... never worried about one being a little over full.... never had a engine go down yet being a little over full....but if my Bronco goes down for being over full and with 7 quarts... I'll let you know... :)

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

never in my life did I think I would have anxiety over one single quart of oil. I feel like John D. Rockefeller.

Sweetair

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 SHO, 03 Marauder, '69 S Code XR7 vert Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Brother in law was a master mechanic at Ford and Shop Foreman. He explained changing oil this way. If it says 7 quarts then put in 7 quarts. After you fill it and turn it on for oil to get in the filter, assuming you changed that too, read the dip stick level. That is where your level is. Not so much the markings on the stick. There might be differences in the dip sticks that cause the level to read different from your Bronco to the next guys. Cheers!
Sponsored