JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe one of the guys who was able to fit 7 quarts and have it show up below the Max line can post a photo of their part number on their dip stick?
Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe one of the guys who was able to fit 7 quarts and have it show up below the Max line can post a photo of their part number on their dip stick?
I think it might be something else more broad...because I was fortunate enough to find a parts guy at Ford that entertained my OCD qestions and he pulled my build sheet based on my VIN...and my pan and stick are as-intended. What I am hoping to find is someone with a 2018 and up F150 with a 2.7 who can send a pic of their dipstick (ha ha said the middle schooler) and see if ours match. All gen 2 2.7s use the same block, and the height of the oil level to the block should be the same regardless of pan configuration. Oddly enough as is at full on my stick with only 6 quarts is less oil than a 2.3 takes. I changed the oil on a Ranger 2.3 the other day and 6.2 put it right at full...so the tall tales of an extra quart hiding in our 2.7s is highly unlikely. We either have a global wrong stick issue or a pan that is meant to hold only 6 quarts. There is no other explanation, and parking on a slope or whatever other unique methods of changing the oil doesn't change that fact. I can't fathom why or how a manufacturer could make an error that is a full quart off. As for folks who claim to have added a full 7 quarts and who have said that put their mark at only full I suspect they didn't wait long enough to allow all their oil to drain back to the pan. The only other explanation that I can even imagine is a malfunction with the check valve system, but I can't imagine so many units have been affected.

Last edited:

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think it might be something else more broad...because I was fortunate enough to find a parts guy at Ford that entertained my OCD qestions and he pulled my build sheet based on my VIN...and my pan and stick are as-intended. What I am hoping to find is someone with a 2018 and up F150 with a 2.7 who can send a pic of their dipstick (ha ha said the middle schooler) and see if ours match. All gen 2 2.7s use the same block, and the height of the oil level to the block should be the same regardless of pan configuration. Oddly enough as is at full on my stick with only 6 quarts is less oil than a 2.3 takes. I changed the oil on a Ranger 2.3 the other day and 6.2 put it right at full...so the tall tales of an extra quart hiding in our 2.7s is highly unlikely. We either have a global wrong stick issue or a pan that is meant to hold only 6 quarts. There is no other explanation, and parking on a slope or whatever changes that fact. I can't fathom why or how a manufacturer could make an error that is a full quart off. As for folks who claim to have added a full 7 quarts and who have said that put their mark at only full I suspect they didn't wait long enough to allow all their oil to drain back to the pan. The only other explanation that I can even imagine is a malfunction with the check valve system, but I can't imagine so many units have been affected.
As requested, here's my brother's 2018 F150 2.7 dipstick part number.

IMG_20211119_095715~2.jpg

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As requested, here's my brother's 2018 F150 2.7 dipstick part number.

Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Change: Took 6 Quarts Not 7 IMG_20211119_095715~2
Thanks so much! Different engineering number than the one in the Bronco. Is it possible to get a measurement from the top of the max mark to the base of the plastic handle (where it contacts the top of the dipstick tube)? With that info I can rule out yet another possible scenario. I can now get a PN for the Bronco and the F150 dipstick tube assembly and compare those to figure out if our overall height from the top of the dipstick tube to the block is the same...and that should give us an answer to the mystery of the correct oil level height.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks so much! Different engineering number than the one in the Bronco. Is it possible to get a measurement from the top of the max mark to the base of the plastic handle (where it contacts the top of the dipstick tube)? With that info I can rule out yet another possible scenario. I can now get a PN for the Bronco and the F150 dipstick tube assembly and compare those to figure out if our overall height from the top of the dipstick tube to the block is the same...and that should give us an answer to the mystery of the correct oil level height.
Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Change: Took 6 Quarts Not 7 20211103_214748

Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

F150 is considerably longer but I didn't measure it since it's going to be hard to use as a reference as the "tube" is part of the valve cover.

PXL_20211121_200031997.jpg

PXL_20211121_200123032.jpg

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
F150 is considerably longer but I didn't measure it since it's going to be hard to use as a reference as the "tube" is part of the valve cover.

Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Change: Took 6 Quarts Not 7 PXL_20211121_200123032

Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Change: Took 6 Quarts Not 7 PXL_20211121_200123032
Thanks again! It appears the only thing to reference the Bronco with is itself...sigh...I wonder if the 2021 changed things up?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Flip, thank you.

Question: does Ford make a spec oil for the Bronco? Book says WSSMC2C 961-A1 ?

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FSE was here and verified with bronco team engineering, 7.0qt for oil change is correct. My inquiry was the first they had received (through normal Ford channels) and they are investigating. One theory, which appears to be incorrect based on the last post, is they recycled the F150 stick. Beside it being longer, the part numbers are not the same so we can nix that. It's possible there was an engineering change since this 2.7 takes 1qt more than the other vehicles the Nano is used in. Gut tells me engineering spec'd 7qt after the indicator was designed/approved and no one caught it. Anyway, they are "officially" aware of it and looking into it.
So I'm good to pour in another quart? Thanks for finally bringing it to the attention of someone who can get an answer.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thank you for this. I have been saying that the guys who have been losing their minds over this and using 6 quarts instead of 7 will have a rude awakening a year from now when they start having engine issues.

one800higgins

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the gist is that 7 is right and ignore the dip stick? Seems like a pretty critical error I would expect Ford to address ASAP, considering the implications of the error and how many people do their own oil changes.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I'm good to pour in another quart? Thanks for finally bringing it to the attention of someone who can get an answer.
Yes. I hate going to the well and using my FSE or tech hotline if we can find an answer with the resources we have available. In this case, all of that was exhausted.

With the size of the forum, I'm surprised more Ford engineering people aren't here lurking. For my inquiry to be the first they've heard is no bueno. Seems like this forum is an absolute wealth of product feedback data and early issue warning system. Meh.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes. I hate going to the well and using my FSE or tech hotline if we can find an answer with the resources we have available. In this case, all of that was exhausted.

With the size of the forum, I'm surprised more Ford engineering people aren't here lurking. For my inquiry to be the first they've heard is no bueno. Seems like this forum is an absolute wealth of product feedback data and early issue warning system. Meh.
I am at a Ford dealership right now. The parts guy was kind enough to print out the diagrams for both the Bronco and the F150 driver side vlace cover (in which the dipstick resides). Part numbers are the SAME for both (JT4ZA6582A). Dipstick numbers, however, are supposed to be different. Bronco is MB3Z6750B, F150 is L1MZ6750A. I have no idea why they would be different if valve covers are the same, because ultimately either stick should be measuring the distance from the top of the oil to the top of the dipstick retainer tube...and on both engines that should be the same distance, regardless of pan capacity. Is anyone in parts or who has a 2021 Ford F150 able to measure a stick?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Top is bronco oil pan, bottom F150. There are differences just looking at the pic but nothing to say differences in depth. F150 refill capacity is 6.0 so one could assume an extra quart would put it over in about the same place as the broncos. I don't have one (F150) in stock to compare and not sure if we even have a truck here that does.

My bet is the stick in the bronco is 1/2" too long and engineering just used the F150 length because of similar parts. They didn't take into account the bronco gets an extra quart.

Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Change: Took 6 Quarts Not 7 1637610352976

Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Change: Took 6 Quarts Not 7 1637610420477
Sponsored