First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
How does this explain most people not getting 7qts out during a change? I drained for over an hour just to be sure and got 6.5qts.
Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How does this explain most people not getting 7qts out during a change? I drained for over an hour just to be sure and got 6.5qts.
Guess the engine used some oil between changes...

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Top is bronco oil pan, bottom F150. There are differences just looking at the pic but nothing to say differences in depth. F150 refill capacity is 6.0 so one could assume an extra quart would put it over in about the same place as the broncos. I don't have one (F150) in stock to compare and not sure if we even have a truck here that does.

My bet is the stick in the bronco is 1/2" too long and engineering just used the F150 length because of similar parts. They didn't take into account the bronco gets an extra quart.

1637610352976.png

1637610420477.png
But the thing is that because Bronco and F150 use the same valve cover, they should use the exact same sticks (unless the check valve system is different) because regardless of pan capacity the oil level when full when measured from the surface of the oil to the top of the dipstick tube should be the same. Simple example...whether or not a small block Chevy (283-400) has a standard 5 quart pan or a racing 7-10 quart pan, the engine uses the same stick. There is no way the 2.7 used in a Bronco should have a higher oil LEVEL than the F150 2.7, even if the Bronco pan has more overall capacity. The engineers should have designed the Bronco pan with more depth to hold the alleged 7 quarts (because they can't go with more width or length), and they should have added a windage tray and/or baffles to keep oil in the sump portion during extreme angles. From the pic you shared, and the ones I obtained, there are zero baffles and there is no windage tray...and no matter why we have the stick/pan combos we have, something is wonky. Running 1 quart low has far less likelihood of doing damage than running 1 quart over. At 6 quarts, the sump is still getting oil because even if Ford did lower the depth of the pan on the Bronco they would have (hopefully) designed a pickup that coincides with that depth.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got 6.7, and allegedly the filter pleats hold upwards of 12 ounces...that would put my drain at the 34.4 oz (right about 7 quarts).

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I got 6.7, and allegedly the filter pleats hold upwards of 12 ounces...that would put my drain at the 34.4 oz (right about 7 quarts).
Good sleuthing on this!
Can't believe the energy it took to get what should be a simple question to answer by Ford.

So do I understand correctly, the results are the Bronco takes 7 quarts and the stick is not marked properly?
Ford is using the wrong dipstick?

How about this, I would change the oil per the directions, put in 7 quarts then scratch the stick making a mark where the oil level shows up on the stick. Now I have a correct level mark to add oil if oil gets low.

Sponsored

the Duff

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am currently prepping a FE with the 2.7. The oil level is dead nuts at the top of the hashes. This was after the 15 minute drain back. Just seeing if maybe they updated the dipstick. The engineering number on this one is FT4E-6750-BF.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good sleuthing on this!
Can't believe the energy it took to get what should be a simple question to answer by Ford.

So do I understand correctly, the results are the Bronco takes 7 quarts and the stick is not marked properly?
Ford is using the wrong dipstick?

How about this, I would change the oil per the directions, put in 7 quarts then scratch the stick making a mark where the oil level shows up on the stick. Now I have a correct level mark to add oil if oil gets low.
I think Ford, as they have recently been prone to do, come up with cool ideas like a 7 quart capacity oil pan and then drop the ball. With our 2.7s, it would be unusual if the pan held less than even the 2.3s, but they may have had to scrap the deeper pan idea due to space restrictions...or maybe the pan does actually hold 7 and they didn't update the check valve...which seems unlikely because the Bronco block is the same as the F150 2.7 that holds 6, the driver side valve cover in which the dipstick inserts is the same part number as the F150 2.7, yet the F150 2.7 dipstick is a different part number than the Bronco...which makes zero sense. Does anyone in the forum have a 2021 F150 with a 2.7 that can measure the dipstick? Someone posted a dipstick from a 2018, but I suspect they are different than the 2021.
Sponsored