First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry, forgot the <sarcasm> my post </sarcasm> markup tags.
I like the sarcasm! I think, however, that some of the folks who are still in the fence about the 6/7 thing may miss it and start scribing...
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those who are late to the party, the very short takeaway (If you are looking for facts) is that there is no mythical "seven quart pan" (there is one part number for the Bronco oil pan and it is for the six quart one...the one one in that picture from which the measurements were taken). Apparently some folks on the assembly line haven't figured that out yet, because some new owners have reported that their factory oil fill puts them right at the full mark while others have reported that that level has varied (a lot). Regardless, Ford has already definitively stated that the correct amount is six quarts (yes you can add however much you want...but six quarts is the correct amount per Ford). Yes, Ford has also said that seven quotes "won't harm the engine," but for those who are seeking the most updated and current capacity, it is six quarts. For some reason people are still perseverating on scribing a line on the dipstick or haggling about how much the factory fill is, even though the issue has already been addressed by the folks who manufactured our Broncos. If you sleep better at night with seven quarts in your oil pan, then you can buy the Raptor stick and not have to scribe a line onto your OEM stick. Arguing in a forum about whether six or seven is more appropriate even after Ford has indicated that six is appropriate is kind of like pissing into the wind...but until the owner's manual strikes the section that says do not fill oil past the max line, and our sticks all have a six quart max line, I for one will opt to go with six quarts. I'm certain that some more vocal folks will immediately fire back with 7 quarts is so much better for them, but I feel like a forum, if anything, should attempt to provide factual information versus opinions.

Quick summary here:
  • Oil Capacity
    • Early printings of the Bronco manual listed a 7.0 quarts oil capacity. Ford has confirmed this is incorrect (via SSM 50981) and has updated the workshop manual as well as the electronic & in-car versions of the owner's manual to state 6.0 quarts. It should be noted that Ford has also stated that 7.0 quarts will not harm the engine.
Rob, I know you feel strongly about this, but your memory about SSM 50981 is a bit selective. For the record, this is the exact text of that SSM…

SSM 50981 2021-2022 Bronco – 2.7L GTDI Engine – Service Oil Capacity UpdateThe 2021-2022 Bronco 2.7L GTDI engine oil capacity specification with oil filter change has been updated to 6 quarts. The workshop manual has been updated with this information and electronic versions of the owner’s manual are in process of receiving the update. Following the previously recommended capacity is not necessary, but will not cause any harm to the engine. The initial fill capacity for a new/dry engine remains 7.5 quarts.

[Emphasis added]

That last sentence about the factory fill being different than the service fill wasn’t particularly helpful in ending this debate, but it is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rob, I know you feel strongly about this, but your memory about SSM 50981 is a bit selective. For the record, this is the exact text of that SSM…

SSM 50981 2021-2022 Bronco – 2.7L GTDI Engine – Service Oil Capacity UpdateThe 2021-2022 Bronco 2.7L GTDI engine oil capacity specification with oil filter change has been updated to 6 quarts. The workshop manual has been updated with this information and electronic versions of the owner’s manual are in process of receiving the update. Following the previously recommended capacity is not necessary, but will not cause any harm to the engine. The initial fill capacity for a new/dry engine remains 7.5 quarts.

[Emphasis added]

That last sentence about the factory fill being different than the service fill wasn’t particularly helpful in ending this debate, but it is what it is. 🤷‍♂️
Looks like I’ll be going with 8 quarts if 7.5 comes from the factory, because I always round up…

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd still like an explanation how 1.5 quarts of oil remains in an engine after draining, if the factory fill is 7.5 quarts and refill is 6 quarts. That's a lot of oil remaining in the engine.

I've yet to hear a good explanation for that one!

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd still like an explanation how 1.5 quarts of oil remains in an engine after draining, if the factory fill is 7.5 quarts and refill is 6 quarts. That's a lot of oil remaining in the engine.

I've yet to hear a good explanation for that one!
If that SSM had lowered the service fill from 7.0 to 6.0 and also lowered the factory fill from 7.5 to 6.5, then that would have likely put an end to much of the debate. Unfortunately, this is Ford, so...

Sponsored

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks like I’ll be going with 8 quarts if 7.5 comes from the factory, because I always round up…
Same here... being 71 years old and have run 100's of engines and thousands of miles most of them over full.... and always rounded up.... will continue to run 7 qts in my Bronco...

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found it takes 12.5 qts before oil starts spilling out the fill hole. I feel safer running the extra capacity. Not sure why Ford doesn't fill it up at the factory. Probably to save them money.

/sarcasm

OP
OP

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You obviously have the 7qt. pan.
If that were a 6qt. pan, it would be .125" over the top.

The most interesting part of this thread is that we're talking about .375" difference in oil depth in the pan.
Pretty much makes the 6 vs. 7 argument a silly sideshow.
If you turn hard left or right @ 15-20MPH, the depth will change far more than that.
Yes I obviously have the 2.7 pan since that is what I wrote in the 1st sentence! Can't get anything past the internet sleuths.

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found it takes 12.5 qts before oil starts spilling out the fill hole. I feel safer running the extra capacity. Not sure why Ford doesn't fill it up at the factory. Probably to save them money.

/sarcasm
I actually did that once to a Peterbilt
The automatic gun timer did not shut off and it just kept pumping away until there was gallons of oil all over the floor
🤣😂

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

[Emphasis added]

Not sure what difference it makes as to what the "initial fill" is to the consumer...we have zero control over that. They are supposed to catch it in PDM, but clearly (because some folks are getting their Broncos at the full line and others are not) there are variations. What we CAN control is how much oil we choose to add after we drain it. For the folks who feel strongly about 7, yay! Add 7. The point I was hoping to make, which clearly has not gone well given that folks are still arguing about factory fills, is that the CURRENT correct capacity for the 2.7 is 6 quarts. Add all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the 2.7 Bronco pan is (and never has been) a "7 quart pan." Just because you CAN fit 7 or 9 or 12 quarts in the engine does not mean that is the "correct" (or ideal) level.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure what difference it makes as to what the "initial fill" is to the consumer...we have zero control over that. They are supposed to catch it in PDM, but clearly (because some folks are getting their Broncos at the full line and others are not) there are variations. What we CAN control is how much oil we choose to add after we drain it. For the folks who feel strongly about 7, yay! Add 7. The point I was hoping to make, which clearly has not gone well given that folks are still arguing about factory fills, is that the CURRENT correct capacity for the 2.7 is 6 quarts. Add all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the 2.7 Bronco pan is (and never has been) a "7 quart pan." Just because you CAN fit 7 or 9 or 12 quarts in the engine does not mean that is the "correct" (or ideal) level.

I think it's just that little factoid that leaves some blanks in all this.

If ford does a factory fill of 7.5 but tells us to only put in 6 then there are 3 possibilities:

1) 1.5 quarts remain in the engine between oil changes

2) it really is supposed to be 7 but for some reason Ford decided to claim 6 (having .5 quarts left during oil changes makes way more sense)

3) There is some reason that overfilling the oil beyond the max line "for the first time" does something?

I think that the debate itself is long over... At this point is just more of a curiosity as to why the inconsistency of 1.5 quarts?

Just to add...built end of August 2022 and the scribe line is where my oil is at.

Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Pan Capacity Answered 20230103_121342

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it's just that little factoid that leaves some blanks in all this.

If ford does a factory fill of 7.5 but tells us to only put in 6 then there are 3 possibilities:

1) 1.5 quarts remain in the engine between oil changes

2) it really is supposed to be 7 but for some reason Ford decided to claim 6 (having .5 quarts left during oil changes makes way more sense)

3) There is some reason that overfilling the oil beyond the max line "for the first time" does something?

I think that the debate itself is long over... At this point is just more of a curiosity as to why the inconsistency of 1.5 quarts?

Just to add...built end of August 2022 and the scribe line is where my oil is at.

20230103_121342.jpg
That scribe line is also where my oil was at, with 41 miles (9 by the dealer adding gas, the rest by me). December 22 build.

FWIW, I would recommend using a punch instead of scribe. Scribing across the stick could, at least in theory, lead to a crack/break.

There's usually a 1 quart difference between the holes on a stick, which suggests 1 quart over here.

Kind of funny Ford did the hash marks and holes -- I usually see one or the other, not both.

iBrad81

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did an oil change at 1000 miles, let the oil drain for a good 30+ minutes until it barely was dripping out, 6 quarts came out (filled exactly 6 quarts of empty bottles) and 6 quarts went in and the line was right in the half way mark on the dip stick after priming the engine and letting it idle a bit and then checked right away and after 10 minutes and still in the hash marks.

Youll never get every drop of oil out of the lines.

Its 6 quarts, why is this still a topic? Drop it already

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did an oil change at 1000 miles, let the oil drain for a good 30+ minutes until it barely was dripping out, 6 quarts came out (filled exactly 6 quarts of empty bottles) and 6 quarts went in and the line was right in the half way mark on the dip stick after priming the engine and letting it idle a bit and then checked right away and after 10 minutes and still in the hash marks.

Youll never get every drop of oil out of the lines.

Its 6 quarts, why is this still a topic? Drop it already
Because when you refilled with 6 quarts you ended up at the hash marks. But coming out of the factory it is 1 quart over the hash marks/upper hole.

Nobody has explained that difference. Not in any of the hundreds of posts about it.

Ford could do it, but is hasn't.

iBrad81

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because when you refilled with 6 quarts you ended up at the hash marks. But coming out of the factory it is 1 quart over the hash marks/upper hole.

Nobody has explained that difference. Not in any of the hundreds of posts about it.

Ford could do it, but is hasn't.
No mine was at the hashmarks before
Sponsored