DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I need reliable torque not whp in a 4x4. Torque is what kills engines, not horsepower.

I own a mustang, on forums and pages both. The 2.3 ecoboost engine is a weak design. I’ve seen multiple people post with pictures of holes in the side of the stock block. Some were fbo, tuned, some were just stock and tune.
I’ve seen more people with the 2015-2019 (4 year period) blown 2.3 ecoboost block.
I’ve never seen one fbo tuned NA 3.7 V6 mustang the entire span from 2011-2017 with a hole through the side of the engine. As a matter of fact even FI I’ve seen one with a hole through the block and that was at 1100 whp. Most those FI 3.7 cars run stock block, everything and make 500 whp.

Now if a 2.3 ecoboost street car can’t handle that kind of abuse why would I put faith way out in the country that that engine is going to be bring me back to civilization In a Bronco 4x4 which is heavier?
I probably wouldn’t mod a car that I had to rely on to bring me back to civilization either. I live on a highly populated island and the worst that could happen is I get stranded on the beach. Even in stock form, the 2.3 makes over 300 torque. I think of all the very capable 4x4s I’ve had in the past, 85 Toyota Pickup, 1990s 4Runners, 90s Explorers and none of them came close to that and even Wrangler, Current Tacomas, 4Runners probably won’t perform any better than the 2.3 EB Bronco. Ford offers a warrantied tune for the ranger that adds another 45hp and 60 Tq. That would make the 2.3 EB Bronco even more capable. I prefer the 2.7 but I don’t think the 2.3 will be a slouc.

as far as 2.3 Mustang Ecoboost motors blowing up, there does appear to be a higher than normal number of early motors blowing up but you only hear about the bad experiences. Always MANY more without issues. Subaru STi motors have a lot of failures posted on the forums. It’s a known issue, however I’ve had 2 STis over 10 years with combined 175k miles and tuned for an extra 100 whp and almost 150wtq with no issues. I believe alot of the failures are bad tunes from inexperienced tuners, but no matter what, if you mod, you’re always taking a chance that it will go Boom.
Sponsored

SouthernBronco6g

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I probably wouldn’t mod a car that I had to rely on to bring me back to civilization either. I live on a highly populated island and the worst that could happen is I get stranded on the beach. Even in stock form, the 2.3 makes over 300 torque. I think of all the very capable 4x4s I’ve had in the past, 85 Toyota Pickup, 1990s 4Runners, 90s Explorers and none of them came close to that and even Wrangler, Current Tacomas, 4Runners probably won’t perform any better than the 2.3 EB Bronco. Ford offers a warrantied tune for the ranger that adds another 45hp and 60 Tq. That would make the 2.3 EB Bronco even more capable. I prefer the 2.7 but I don’t think the 2.3 will be a slouc.

as far as 2.3 Mustang Ecoboost motors blowing up, there does appear to be a higher than normal number of early motors blowing up but you only hear about the bad experiences. Always MANY more without issues. Subaru STi motors have a lot of failures posted on the forums. It’s a known issue, however I’ve had 2 STis over 10 years with combined 175k miles and tuned for an extra 100 whp and almost 150wtq with no issues. I believe alot of the failures are bad tunes from inexperienced tuners, but no matter what, if you mod, you’re always taking a chance that it will go Boom.
A 2.3 mustang owner recently has blown up two stock 2.3 EB motors with the Ford performance tune, installed by Ford. Ford has stood by him and replaced the engines, last I heard he was in engine three and nothing conclusive as to why they keep blowing up.

You keep your 2.3 EB, I’ll roll with the 2.7 EB when it’s released.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hybrid is to much complexity for me, for a rig I would have to fix, once I kill the warantee with mods. Still hoping for alum block 7.3, eventually to swap in (but I would take a stone stock 7.3 as is, over any proposed bronco drivetrain). Would be ultra reliable no matter what you did to it, in a less than 1/2 ton truck.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hybrid is to much complexity for me, for a rig I would have to fix, once I kill the warantee with mods. Still hoping for alum block 7.3, eventually to swap in (but I would take a stone stock 7.3 as is, over any proposed bronco drivetrain). Would be ultra reliable no matter what you did to it, in a less than 1/2 ton truck.
Since the 7 speed fits it, with different guts, sound like thats all you need, that and a welder and massive refunkery of wiring and accessories.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Since the 7 speed fits it, with different guts, sound like thats all you need, that and a welder and massive refunkery of wiring and accessories.
Wouldn't want a manual on this rig, would be fine with whatever auto comes behind it in 1 tons now. Hoping for auto control pack, so I can also stuff one in my 79 bronc and possibly 86 Capri. (have 5 welders, might be enough).

Liking the idea of a really low priced base. Someone suggested right around $25K. I doubt it happens, but could be a good starting point for those that want to tear it apart anyway.

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I hate it when they do that.... scale the hp and tq differently

Something is wrong with those Ecoboost graphs... Look at the crossover.
Sponsored