First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So I’m trying to figure out if the power curve on the 2.7 is linear. As I’m thinking a linear power curve is what’s desired in off road conditions. Also how it compares to the coyote. Advantage/disadvantage?
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I cant say that i have much experience with these modern engines. The newest car ive ever had was my 96 bronco. But honestly the ford modular engines are so big i dont want to deal with one in anything smaller than a full size truck since even then they make a cramped engine bay. The more compact 2.7 is fine by me considering they can push close to 500hp with minor mods. So can a coyote but will likely cost more as an option so no big deal. The one thing i do know about coyotes is that they are not known for their torque. If we ever get a v8 in the bronco I would hope for a aluminum godzilla as the last internal combustion engine before we switch to electric.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
Something is wrong with those Ecoboost graphs... Look at the crossover.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Crosses over at ~5252, what am I missing?
Except it doesn't, it's crossing over at ~4600. I think their rpm scaling is off.

Ford Bronco 2.7 vs coyote power curve 1584900608895

OP
OP

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So it looks like the 2.7 and 3.5 are more sooted for low end torque. When compared to the coyote. Now the coyote was built for other benefits. But given the option between the two, you might think the 2.7 was the better option. But before I could conclude this, I’d also want to know about its longevity, cost of owner ship, maintenance difference, how long those turbos last, difficulty rebuilding them or replacement, where and Tare on engine from the turbos.

I’m still in the camp of the v8, only because of the unfamiliarity with turbos. More learning to be done.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

We really shouldn't even be comparing the 2. There is a 0% chance the Coyote will be offered in the Bronco. It's a 90* V-8 with dual overhead cams. The heads are pretty massive and the engine itself is wide. It's not fitting in the ranger platform (modified or not). The Ecoboost V6's are 60* V and are more compact. If Ford announces the Coyote as an engine option, I'll eat a bat from Wuhan.

The 2.7 is stout. We would be lucky to get it. It out performs what is currently offered in the Bronco competitors by a large margin.

Shane

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser and 2001 F250 SD 4WD 7.3l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m hoping for the 2.7 as well. Well built engine from what I read back when it came out. Stout and economical, with good power. Fords turbos have been quite reliable over the past several years, ecoboost-wise. The 3.5 has been out for some time, in all kinds of applications. Oil-fed, water-jacketed, and plenty of torque at different altitudes.
These engines have been out long enough to be considered proven to me, with many, many miles on them. Easy (relatively) to tune too. They haven’t been perfect, but I’d go with the 2.7 in a heart-beat. 2.3 has been good as well, but I’m really hoping for a 2.7 option in a lower-trim Bronco. Please, Ford?

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning, Mach 1, Falcon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We really shouldn't even be comparing the 2. There is a 0% chance the Coyote will be offered in the Bronco. It's a 90* V-8 with dual overhead cams. The heads are pretty massive and the engine itself is wide. It's not fitting in the ranger platform (modified or not). The Ecoboost V6's are 60* V and are more compact. If Ford announces the Coyote as an engine option, I'll eat a bat from Wuhan.

The 2.7 is stout. We would be lucky to get it. It out performs what is currently offered in the Bronco competitors by a large margin.
You SHUT your mouth! That's dirty talk! Oh and be ready to record you eating bat.....from Wuhan!

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Also, are we getting the aluminum block 2.7 TT or the iron block?

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Which is one of the reasons I'm still hoping for the 3.0 in the high performance Bronco. Aluminum block and more power

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Did some searching and it looks like they're 2 piece cgi and aluminum, unless this graphic is wrong?

Ford Bronco 2.7 vs coyote power curve leavetheironon-inline2-photo-587199-s-original
Sponsored