First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Except it doesn't, it's crossing over at ~4600. I think their rpm scaling is off.

1584900608895.png
It is fine, if you look at 5252, the torque scale on the left intersects with the power on the right. Different scale for TQ and Power. The curve looks perfect for a truck.
Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@frinesi2 that graphic is correct. It's a pretty neat design. The 2 pieces bolt together. There are bolts going to the block itself and also bolts that fasten the aluminum girdle to the main caps.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

@frinesi2 that graphic is correct. It's a pretty neat design. The 2 pieces bolt together. There are bolts going to the block itself and also bolts that fasten the aluminum girdle to the main caps.
That's awesome. I'm getting kind of excited for this motor.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks like dry weight of the 2.7 is 440 lbs, which is slightly lighter than the 3.5 at 449lbs or the 5.0 at 444, so they did a pretty good job of keeping the weight down for an iron block with turbos. I can't find a number for the 3.0, I would expect it's slightly lighter still.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1. 2.7 is great motor and will put out more peak torque than a 5.0 tuned.
2. 5.0 is almost definitely not going in the new bronco (at least not any time soon).

That said, what you don't get with the 2.7 is shown @ 1200 RPM.
And that torque is available instantly, on and off the throttle consistently,
and will vary very little, even in really high temps.

And that is mustang cam/tune, truck will be even better.

img_6147-jpg.jpg

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Looks like dry weight of the 2.7 is 440 lbs, which is slightly lighter than the 3.5 at 449lbs or the 5.0 at 444, so they did a pretty good job of keeping the weight down for an iron block with turbos. I can't find a number for the 3.0, I would expect it's slightly lighter still.
I haven't had luck finding it either. The 2.3 is listed as approximately 340lbs. The 2.3 is aluminum block and head. I bet the 3.0 is around 400lbs.

So the question is does Ford want to give the Bronco a more rugged engine that's a bit heavier (2.7 EB), or a more powerful engine that's lighter and less rugged (on paper) with the 3.0 EB.

blksn8k

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 Bronco 393W/NV3550
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think you are more likely to see the 3.0 than the 2.7 in the Bronco. One of the reasons I say that is because the Bronco will probably be using the same drivetrains as the next gen Ranger and Ford seems to have some aversion to using the same drivetrain in the Ranger as the F-150. Always has and probably always will.
I just hope they don't restrict the Bronco to the 2.3 only the way they have so far with the Ranger. That's the biggest reason I'm driving an F-150 today and not a Ranger and that is exactly the way Ford wants it.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think you are more likely to see the 3.0 than the 2.7 in the Bronco. One of the reasons I say that is because the Bronco will probably be using the same drivetrains as the next gen Ranger and Ford seems to have some aversion to using the same drivetrain in the Ranger as the F-150. Always has and probably always will.
I just hope they don't restrict the Bronco to the 2.3 only the way they have so far with the Ranger. That's the biggest reason I'm driving an F-150 today and not a Ranger and that is exactly the way Ford wants it.
The current ranger was adapted from the global T6 Ranger, it was never designed to fit larger engines so the 2.3 is the best they can put in it. The Bronco will be on the next-gen T6 platform, as will the next gen Ranger. It will be designed to fit larger engines, they were testing a 2.7 Ecoboost in Australia in a ranger mule a while ago. That coupled with the Bronco R having a V6 means it's all but confirmed we'll get a TTV6 of some form

OP
OP

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
1. 2.7 is great motor and will put out more peak torque than a 5.0 tuned.
2. 5.0 is almost definitely not going in the new bronco (at least not any time soon).

That said, what you don't get with the 2.7 is shown @ 1200 RPM.
And that torque is available instantly, on and off the throttle consistently,
and will vary very little, even in really high temps.

And that is mustang cam/tune, truck will be even better.

Ford Bronco 2.7 vs coyote power curve img_6147-
This is what I’m trying to figure out short of getting some test vehicles dirty. I expect the v8 to provide me a level of power early that it consistently growing but steady. I’m assuming the turbo will feel like a dirt bike with a power band, Im approaching something that needs a steady power source, then a little more throttle should do it, then Wamo, and that usually turns out ugly, or physically painful.

Is this typical of turbo vehicles, when trailing.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is what I’m trying to figure out short of getting some test vehicles dirty. I expect the v8 to provide me a level of power early that it consistently growing but steady. I’m assuming the turbo will feel like a dirt bike with a power band, Im approaching something that needs a steady power source, then a little more throttle should do it, then Wamo, and that usually turns out ugly, or physically painful.

If by turbo vehicles you mean something like a modified subaru then yes. Giant, single scroll turbos have a lot of lag and you get that 'nothing, nothing, nothing, OMGEVERYTHING' feeling.

The V6 ecoboost engines have fairly small turbos that spool up very quickly. It's never going to have the instant throttle response of a big N/A motor but they're getting pretty close. Especially if you're above 2000 rpm or so so that the turbos are spooled a bit already.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I've datalogged my 2.7 and it takes about 1 second to reach full boost, at speed already. Very quick compared to turbo setups of old. But an eternity if, lets say, you were trying to reverse gears and stop an endo. Overall most are going to be very happy with the spool times on the 2,7. Many will say there is no lag at all.

One thing I don't like though, and it doesn't happen that often, is part of Fords strategy to build boost, is to close the throttle (especially when you command a high throttle) to pre-spool the turbo. So if you are stopped, and get into it hard, but for whatever reason, you have to get out of it and then you get right back in it hard again. You can catch it sleeping, and get nothing. I've had this happen once in a while I was moving at say 35, I think I see an opening to pass and hammer down, but at last split second, you thought you saw something in mirror and back out. You realize quick it was your imagination and get back into it. And THUD, the thing feels like my low compression EVO out of boost.

Big balancing act trying to balance MAP/TIP/BPV/Wastgate, and throttle. Most of the time though, Ford does great job on that programming.

Great article on some of that here.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/ecoboost-tech-are-throttle-closures-bad/

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Adjusted Dynos based on crank peak power and torque (both off of 2018+ f150)
Ford Bronco 2.7 vs coyote power curve D9F5257D-D02A-4593-AC28-802CBA07F727

once those turbos spool you get a good amount of torque

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco 2.7 vs coyote power curve FCE65A40-6B71-402B-8025-092C883227ED

HP and Torque for the
2.3 Ecoboost (19+ Ranger)
2.7 EcoBoost (18+ F-150)
3.0 Powerstroke (18+ F-150)
5.0 Coyote (18+ F-150) ( Just as Reference)

OP
OP

evoaire

First Edition
First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford Bronco 2.7 vs coyote power curve FCE65A40-6B71-402B-8025-092C883227ED

HP and Torque for the
2.3 Ecoboost (19+ Ranger)
2.7 EcoBoost (18+ F-150)
3.0 Powerstroke (18+ F-150)
5.0 Coyote (18+ F-150) ( Just as Reference)
Ugh, all I see are a bunch of colored lines with no distinction between who’s who.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ugh, all I see are a bunch of colored lines with no distinction between who’s who.
top of the the graph. (Circles are hp triangles torque) Green 2.3. Red 2.7 Blue 3.0 Diesel Yellow 5.0
Sponsored