First Name
Evoaire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
maybe a bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ok, I see it, my eyes ain’t what they used to be.
That 2.7 looks impressive. It don’t look like you’d experience any sudden bump in power. But there is the question that point OX1 made.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok, I see it, my eyes ain’t what they used to be.
That 2.7 looks impressive. It don’t look like you’d experience any sudden bump in power. But there is the question that point OX1 made.
Yes the lag with quickly putting the hammer down is an issue but that’s the case with most new cars in general thanks to Electric throttles. (See Hyundai 3.8)

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
Yes the lag with quickly putting the hammer down is an issue but that’s the case with most new cars in general thanks to Electric throttles. (See Hyundai 3.8)
It is the throttle, or is it the move to an Atkinson cycle that causes that? I would think that changing the valve timing on the fly isn't easy, and you end up puking a bunch of mixture back into the intake manifold before the VVT can respond and switch you back into Otto.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
It is the throttle, or is it the move to an Atkinson cycle that causes that? I would think that changing the valve timing on the fly isn't easy, and you end up puking a bunch of mixture back into the intake manifold before the VVT can respond and switch you back into Otto.
All of the above. Cars are so incredibly complicated now. Couple that with a cylinder deactivation that will be available in the bronco sport now you are talking about some serious engine computing.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just e85 and a tune on the 2.7 will get you close to 400hp 500lbft crank. Let alone turbo and injector upgrade
Useless near, me. Closest E-85 station is over an hour away (not to mention mileage hit).

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Useless near, me. Closest E-85 station is over an hour away (not to mention mileage hit).
Well active fuel management to run 93/e85 will help that. But I live in Ohio. E85 on every corner. ????

Lots of guys around here with 2.3 mustangs out pacing hellcats thanks to e85. But yea you get about 60% mpg vs regular. Meaning if the bronco is to get about 24mpg combine. That means you’ll get like 16 on e85 >.<

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well active fuel management to run 93/e85 will help that. But I live in Ohio. E85 on every corner. ????

Lots of guys around here with 2.3 mustangs out pacing hellcats thanks to e85. But yea you get about 60% mpg vs regular. Meaning if the bronco is to get about 24mpg combine. That means you’ll get like 16 on e85 >.<
Difference is, I'm trapping 126 (on Gen 1 coyote) and have not touched exhaust, still on stock airbox even, 100% emission legal Roush kit. The more mods you get, the more PIA a vehicle eventually becomes. Just the nature of the beast.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We really shouldn't even be comparing the 2. There is a 0% chance the Coyote will be offered in the Bronco. It's a 90* V-8 with dual overhead cams. The heads are pretty massive and the engine itself is wide. It's not fitting in the ranger platform (modified or not). The Ecoboost V6's are 60* V and are more compact. If Ford announces the Coyote as an engine option, I'll eat a bat from Wuhan.

The 2.7 is stout. We would be lucky to get it. It out performs what is currently offered in the Bronco competitors by a large margin.
Uh. I'm not driving a tiny engine like a 4 cylinder. The last time I drove a 4 cylinder was when I had a pinto in college.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Uh. I'm not driving a tiny engine like a 4 cylinder. The last time I drove a 4 cylinder was when I had a pinto in college.
I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I will point out that the 2.3L turbo 4 cylinder that the Bronco is likely to get is a completely different beast than what was in your old Pinto.

It makes 270 peak horse power and 310 pound feet of torque as specced in the current Ranger. That should be plenty to scoot the new Bronco up and down the road.

For comparison, the 3.3L naturally aspirated V-6 that serves as the F-150's base engine is making 290 HP, but only 265 pound feet of torque. We're probably not going to see that in the Bronco, either.

Any of the EcoBoost V-6s, like the 2.7L, would be a clear upgrade over the 2.3L base engine, though.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I will point out that the 2.3L turbo 4 cylinder that the Bronco is likely to get is a completely different beast than what was in your old Pinto.

It makes 270 peak horse power and 310 pound feet of torque as specced in the current Ranger. That should be plenty to scoot the new Bronco up and down the road.

For comparison, the 3.3L naturally aspirated V-6 that serves as the F-150's base engine is making 290 HP, but only 265 pound feet of torque. We're probably not going to see that in the Bronco, either.

Any of the EcoBoost V-6s, like the 2.7L, would be a clear upgrade over the 2.3L base engine, though.
Just to put In perspective. The 2.3 Ecoboost will make the 6th gen, the most powerful bronco EVER! Let alone a 2.7