First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've ranted in the past about problems with my 2018 F150 and I wanted to share a new one with all of you that are concerned about possible reliability with your Bronco. I have a 2018 F150 screw with the 2.7l ecoboost and 10sp trans. I really like the truck but it's reliability and Ford's ability to make it right have really let me down. 2 major issues it has had is the transmission clunk and shifting problems as well as the door locks/latches freezing in the winter. The truck has been in for service at least 5 times for each problem and yet the problems prevail.

Today though is a new one. My truck just turned 40,000 miles and the turbos are shot (yes both). Turbos are not cheap and luckily they're covered under the powertrain warranty til 60k miles. They're also backordered for an estimated 3 weeks.

If you're wondering what's wrong with them, they started making a lot of noise. It's not the known rattle of the linkage or the waste gates, but sounds more like a stick in the fans, a very loud ding ding dinging. The dealer was actually a bit perplexed by it. It took them 2 days to determine it was the turbos and they don't know what exactly is wrong with them, they just know there is a problem with them and they ordered replacements. It took me all of about 2 minutes to determine it was the turbos.

So my fear of small turbo engine reliability is not unfounded. It doesn't change my mind about getting a Bronco but I am going to research extended warranties since I was hoping to keep it for a while. The thought of having to shell out for a couple of turbos really put a pit in my stomach. Anyone else thinking long term warranty coverage on theirs? Any ideas?
I’m really sorry, that shouldn’t happen to a vehicle built in this century, period. That said there are plenty of vehicles built currently and in the past that have/had very reliable turbos. All comes down to QC, turbos spin at extremely high rpm so manufacturing tolerance and metallurgy are extremely important. A quality made turbo should last the life of the engine and in most cases the vehicle. They’re really simple in design.... just an air driven compressor, it’s the high rpm that demands quality. The technology has been around for about 100 years, and has been in some extremely reliable vehicles (think aircraft, diesel semis and buses that have 100s of thousands of hours and miles). In terms of complexity and reliability, the internal combustion engine should be the weak point. Sounds like 2018 was a poor production run? Maybe someone with better knowledge of this can chime in.
Sponsored

Quack Head

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Exploder
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My thoughts with turbocharged engines is to run better grade oils despite what Ford recommends. 5K miles is a safe interval, with some diehards running more miles, but replacing the filter. I run Amsoil in my wife’s Fusion Sport (2.7 TT), but cheap out and run Mobil 1 in my Fiesta ST. Some folks really go full retard with oil, filters, testing etc... I’m not one of them.
Ford Bronco 2.7l and 10 speed reliabilty, turbos shot at 40k 1608385537422

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here I am coming from a lifetime of owning Hondas where I’ve never had a single issue and have only replaced brakes, tires, and oil...

Now I’m thinking extended warranty instead of high package.
Any of us can run into a problem with a vehicle on occasion from any manufacturer. Like you I have driven primarily one brand. Happens to be Ford. Other than my 77 Granada I bought used in High Scool, I have had excellent reliability. One water pump at 45k miles on my 06 Explorer and one intermittent starting issue on my 2011 Ford Edge at 105k miles (now 110k and hasn’t happened again). My worst car? A second gen Chevy Tahoe. Generally considered reliable, I replaced a transmission, 2 AC compressors and it used oil like a two stroke all before 100k miles. It’s sucks when it happens, but it’s pretty rare.
Oh yeah, I have the freezing lock issue on my F150 and it’s ridiculous. How can they design a latch that can’t handle freezing temps?

Bigkansas

Badlands
First Name
AUSTIN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've ranted in the past about problems with my 2018 F150 and I wanted to share a new one with all of you that are concerned about possible reliability with your Bronco. I have a 2018 F150 screw with the 2.7l ecoboost and 10sp trans. I really like the truck but it's reliability and Ford's ability to make it right have really let me down. 2 major issues it has had is the transmission clunk and shifting problems as well as the door locks/latches freezing in the winter. The truck has been in for service at least 5 times for each problem and yet the problems prevail.

Today though is a new one. My truck just turned 40,000 miles and the turbos are shot (yes both). Turbos are not cheap and luckily they're covered under the powertrain warranty til 60k miles. They're also backordered for an estimated 3 weeks.

If you're wondering what's wrong with them, they started making a lot of noise. It's not the known rattle of the linkage or the waste gates, but sounds more like a stick in the fans, a very loud ding ding dinging. The dealer was actually a bit perplexed by it. It took them 2 days to determine it was the turbos and they don't know what exactly is wrong with them, they just know there is a problem with them and they ordered replacements. It took me all of about 2 minutes to determine it was the turbos.

So my fear of small turbo engine reliability is not unfounded. It doesn't change my mind about getting a Bronco but I am going to research extended warranties since I was hoping to keep it for a while. The thought of having to shell out for a couple of turbos really put a pit in my stomach. Anyone else thinking long term warranty coverage on theirs? Any ideas?

Are you running a aftermarket type air filter? Such as a K an N or something.

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every. Damned. Forum. Has. This. Thread.
Please for the live of John Bronco, don't turn this into an oil discussion!
Simple question. Not asking for his recommendation. Just looking for failure causes

Sponsored

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMHO, it's the price you pay for fame and fortune. Ford and other vendors use turbos to increase the power of smaller engines so they can achieve fuel efficiency targets from the Fed. Technology will eventually catch up to improve reliability but until then, if you are concerned then purchase an extended warranty. I just bought a Platinum Explorer and did this for piece of mind. BTW, it's not just cars & trucks. Two years ago I bought a boat that has twin supercharged engines. These too have reports of early failures and require routine inspection and maintenance. Maybe next year Ford will offer a diesel or electric but until then it's a "no choice, no problem" scenario. ;)

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's interesting to me here is that the OP says that *both* turbos are shot.

That suggests to me that the turbos are not the source of the problem, but symptoms/victims of something else. The odds of a rather rare turbo failure out of the literally millions of these units on the road, happening twice on the same vehicle, at the same time, are astronomical.

I'd be looking very hard for other causal factors -- debris in the engine from some other engine part(s) failure (or even left-over casting sand) chewing up the turbo bearings, oil choice, filter choice, air filter choice (lots of people rave about K&N, but nobody that recognizes how they actually work (and their less effective filtration compared to an OE filter) uses them), etc. Has to be something external to the turbos to take them both out at the same time.

I feel for the OP's plight, but it's not clear to me that we have all the information needed. At a minimum, I'd start with draining the oil to inspect it, and sending a sample out for testing to see if there are elevated levels of metals not associated with the turbo bearings.

Last edited:

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any of us can run into a problem with a vehicle on occasion from any manufacturer. Like you I have driven primarily one brand. Happens to be Ford. Other than my 77 Granada I bought used in High Scool, I have had excellent reliability. One water pump at 45k miles on my 06 Explorer and one intermittent starting issue on my 2011 Ford Edge at 105k miles (now 110k and hasn’t happened again). My worst car? A second gen Chevy Tahoe. Generally considered reliable, I replaced a transmission, 2 AC compressors and it used oil like a two stroke all before 100k miles. It’s sucks when it happens, but it’s pretty rare.
Oh yeah, I have the freezing lock issue on my F150 and it’s ridiculous. How can they design a latch that can’t handle freezing temps?
Yes. Honda’s aren’t perfect but it’s widely accepted that they and Toyota are the gold standard of reliability. The reason I’m here is because I want an open air 4x4 and I trust Ford much more than Chrysler.

Honda is also moving to turbo engines which everyone thinks is a mistake. Of course, they are having issues with those.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I truly hope Ford gets the QC part correct on the Bronco. I share your concerns. The Ranger already had a recall related to the 10 speed transmission and now has one for a “faulty electric connection which may cause the backup camera to go blank while in use.” Isn’t there a still unresolved class action lawsuit related to Ford’s 10 speed transmission? No one else apart from Jeep offers an open air vehicle and I also trust Ford over FCA but why can’t everyone have excellent reliability instead of it being only a handful of automakers.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe Ford should do the Santa Picture with all models to cross check hinges in the freezing temps! ?

Sponsored

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

How does your truck perform in hot weather. Out where I run, summer temps reach 110F +.

Deleted member 3063

Do you know if Ford has fixed the freezing door locks problem for 2020 or will be fixed on bronco
My 2005 Mercury had the door lock freeze issue and was fixed via TSB. I have little hope for 2021.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Check with your dealer if they offer lifetime powertrain warranty. Mine does for the Bronco and turbos are covered.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But 40K miles in 2 years is much more than normal wear and tear. The OP should be grateful that the repair is covered under warranty. When I hear use cases where driver's need engine repairs after excessive miles, I just shrug. It sucks, but how should that be a concern for a normal use case? Now, if there was a need for engine repair after 10k miles/yr use cases, then I would be concerned.
Isn’t the industry average now around 15k/yr for any vehicle? So 40k in 2 years isn’t really that much more than average, that’s not excessive(and “average” implies plenty of vehicles do more than that). And trucks tend to have higher miles driven anyways. It’s not uncommon to see used trucks 10yrs old or less with 200-300k miles on them, that’s 20-30k or more per year. And when warranties that used to be up to 100k miles are now 60k does that really bode well for reliability?

CarbonBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota $runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Check with your dealer if they offer lifetime powertrain warranty. Mine does for the Bronco and turbos are covered.
what would something like that normally cost?
Sponsored