Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oh yeah, I have the freezing lock issue on my F150 and it’s ridiculous. How can they design a latch that can’t handle freezing temps?
Umm, have you seen their Bronco Build and Price site?
Sponsored

BigDog

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My Turbos have been flawless. Ford literally sells millions of turbos every year, some will fail, but they are not an frequent issue based on sales.

Rellax, Broncos come with a warranty. Drive, be happy.
Exactly. I buy a new F150 every 2 years and have never had a problem with the turbos or transmission. This new 10 speed is a very good transmission that usually performs better after the first couple thousand miles. The old transmission I was not a huge fan of but love the new 10 speed transmission.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently changed my car replacement strategy to : exchange them no later than 50k miles.

driving them to zero value/max mileage is too expensive due to todays light duty for better mpg engineering standards.
They become very maintenance intensive after 100k.

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
... the transmission clunk and shifting problems ...
Can you elaborate on the 10 speed auto trans issues? No personal experience with that trans, but I've read it's generally regarded as a quality unit.

In over 3 decades of vehicle ownership, it's probably auto transmissions that have been the biggest issue. Manual transmissions have been gold - no issues. And no engine issues ever - other than the ancillaries. Hence my interest in the 7sp manual trans.

Sponsored

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've ranted in the past about problems with my 2018 F150 and I wanted to share a new one with all of you that are concerned about possible reliability with your Bronco. I have a 2018 F150 screw with the 2.7l ecoboost and 10sp trans. I really like the truck but it's reliability and Ford's ability to make it right have really let me down. 2 major issues it has had is the transmission clunk and shifting problems as well as the door locks/latches freezing in the winter. The truck has been in for service at least 5 times for each problem and yet the problems prevail.

Today though is a new one. My truck just turned 40,000 miles and the turbos are shot (yes both). Turbos are not cheap and luckily they're covered under the powertrain warranty til 60k miles. They're also backordered for an estimated 3 weeks.

If you're wondering what's wrong with them, they started making a lot of noise. It's not the known rattle of the linkage or the waste gates, but sounds more like a stick in the fans, a very loud ding ding dinging. The dealer was actually a bit perplexed by it. It took them 2 days to determine it was the turbos and they don't know what exactly is wrong with them, they just know there is a problem with them and they ordered replacements. It took me all of about 2 minutes to determine it was the turbos.

So my fear of small turbo engine reliability is not unfounded. It doesn't change my mind about getting a Bronco but I am going to research extended warranties since I was hoping to keep it for a while. The thought of having to shell out for a couple of turbos really put a pit in my stomach. Anyone else thinking long term warranty coverage on theirs? Any ideas?
did you fiddle with the engine? either you had really bad luck and got a goofed engine or there was some misuse or behind the scenes fiddling. Sounds like you got unlucky and just got a bad truck. Locks freezing in the winter isn't unexpected in the cold the different metals will shrink and contract at different rates and can get stuck together (see the mark rober Icecream lock thing video) I personally am not gonna get an extended warranty because in most cases they are a sham and also I am a dealer employee so I get everything at cost

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That sucks you're having problems OP. I felt I was taking a chance when we bought our 2013 3.5 EB F150.

Now at 90,000, eight years and plenty of offroading, towing and high speed highway, we are delighted.

Only two unexpected issues thus far: a bad coil on one cylinder at about 40K and the blowoff valve replaced this week ($71 part).

Beyond that, I run high octane from a high volume station, and use quality full syn oil/filter. Since we are in the mtns, often in dusty conditions, I change out the air filter frequently with a "GOLD" NAPA version.

I changed the plugs at about 85,000 and now thinking that every 40,000 might be prudent

I think the EB technology is mature and will plunk down for the 2.7 in the Bronco without trepidation.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anytime I purchase a first year model I spring for an extended warranty, or lifetime power train depending on cost and vehicle type. You can bet the Ranch I will be getting a power train warranty on a 1st year 4X4.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Fake news

CarbonBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota $runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i can understand on the turbos failing at 40k because most people ride em hard and put em away wet. if you neglect the turbos then of coure they will fail. if you beat on the motor hard them just shut the rig off after i see it as one reason for the turbos to fail due to the oil not draining out of the turbines and collecting inside. ill be using a turbo timer on my rig to allow the engine to cool down before shutting off. belive it or not a turbo timer works wonders in keeping a healthy turbo(s).

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i can understand on the turbos failing at 40k because most people ride em hard and put em away wet. if you neglect the turbos then of coure they will fail. if you beat on the motor hard them just shut the rig off after i see it as one reason for the turbos to fail due to the oil not draining out of the turbines and collecting inside. ill be using a turbo timer on my rig to allow the engine to cool down before shutting off. belive it or not a turbo timer works wonders in keeping a healthy turbo(s).
this is already incorporated in most turbo vehicles these days.
haven't seen a turbo timer since the 90's

OP
OP
Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Update 1/22/2021

Just got my truck back from service for the turbos. As per the repair ticket "Found excessive axial play in compressor wheels and verify compressor wheels contacting compressor housing on both turbos with damage to fins on turbos. Remove both turbos and replace Found coolant and oil tubes would not come out of turbo housing without damage and required replacement Replace all lines hardware and gaskets"

The parts list was quite extensive. I'm sure glad it was covered under warranty as I imagine it would have been quite expensive.

For those speculating and wanting to know more about the history of the truck, I've had it a little over 3 years, let the dealer do the first complimentary oil change at 7500 miles, and performed an oil change every 7500 miles after with Pennzoil Platinum and a Ford oil filter. Oil life monitor always showed plenty of oil life left and quick calculations showed olm would have gone to 0 at 10,000 miles or more. It's been a daily driver and I never towed anything with it. I would say I drive conservatively with an occasional spirited driving if I have to pee.
Sponsored