First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Viscosity is viscosity. It's a measurement against spec and doesn't differ between brands. Now some brands hold up better against heat and wear due to additive packages but it sounds to me like you're talking out your butt.
Viscosity is directly affected by temperature and additive package.
Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Motorcraft website still list the 5w-30 at GF5
You're right...it does. But the product data sheet seems to have it covered.

Motorcraft® 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
PRODUCT TYPICALS
SAE Grade: 5W-30
Ford Material Specification: WSS-M2C961-A1
API Service: GF-6/SP/RC/SN PLUS

Either they just haven't updated the web page....or as we all know Ford don't proofread nuttin!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're right...it does. But the product data sheet seems to have it covered.

Motorcraft® 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
PRODUCT TYPICALS
SAE Grade: 5W-30
Ford Material Specification: WSS-M2C961-A1
API Service: GF-6/SP/RC/SN PLUS

Either they just haven't updated the web page....or as we all know Ford don't proofread nuttin!
I would use it no problem. I like the extra margin for error If I get stuck without changing the oil for 1k miles, although I never do and it still probably wouldn’t cause any issues 😜

Sponsored

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What does this have to do with the new Bronco?

Back in 1992, my dad bought my mom a new Town Car that turned out to have been previously wrecked.

So go cry to your momma and don't buy a Ford?

Go to bed son, the grownups are talkin'.........

azbittel

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mach E - Premium - AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Have one in my Sierra. Trax is for the commute and wife to drive.
Oooo I see, my sis-in-law leases one and Ive never hated being in or driving a vehicle more than that one. Maybe I am just privileged enough to have that opinion based on what I normally drive. Definite posibility...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I dont get it, why would a manufacturer recommend a blend oil now-a-days? What am I missing?

And did you guys catch that although the initial reports were 7.5m change intervals, that was only for mall crawling.

For most of us, we are going to have to do 5m changes so personally I really want to avoid the super expensive per quart oils cuz that's going to be yossing money away.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My recommendation to anyone using oil chain services is to find one who pours oil out of a bottle. Bulk oils are scary pits of unknowns and contamination regardless of what your invoice shows you paid for.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All this doom and gloom about the 2.7 turbos seems a little bit overstated. I have a 10 year old 3.5 ecoboost now with 230k miles on it and just pulled the turbos when I was replacing an exhaust gasket which failed (at 225k miles) and the turbos were in perfect shape... no issues whatsoever.

Sponsored

Norsk82

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Tacoma TRD Sport 6MT. Bronco on reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What about Amsoil?

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not going to lie. This is one of the reasons I've been leaning towards the 2.3 Ecoboost. A 1 turbo engine design is a lot more reliable then twin turbos. People will point to Carbon build up in the 2.3 but it's really not as bad as people make it out to be in that engine and can also be fixed with a catch can. Not much you can do to prevent turbo failure. Tough call.
You can argue that two turbos, at much less than double the power/torque, are not working nearly as hard. There is a decent amount of reasons I didn't want a turbo motor in a new bronco, but turbo reliability is not one of them.

My 2.7 Fusion gets pushed harder than 95% of you will, heck it's been on full day road course usage, 3 times already (about 420 miles total of beating the snot out of it). No issue @ 46K so a far.

OP
OP
Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Update: So my F150 now has 67,000 miles and the turbos are shot again! Last time at about 40k miles almost 3 years ago (I had to look up my op cause it seems like yesterday they last went). I don’t beat it, and I changed the oil with full synthetic every 5-6k miles since the turbos last went. What is going wrong? Also, since I’m out of warranty, anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket?

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update: So my F150 now has 67,000 miles and the turbos are shot again! Last time at about 40k miles almost 3 years ago (I had to look up my op cause it seems like yesterday they last went). I don’t beat it, and I changed the oil with full synthetic every 5-6k miles since the turbos last went. What is going wrong? Also, since I’m out of warranty, anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket?
Are you running a Ford WSS-M2C961-A1 approved oil? Stock intake with clean air filter? Coolant changes every 100k miles or 5 years or so?

Besides preventative maintenance and keeping the engine stock there is not much you can do to prevent that. All of the old school thinking of idling the engine before you shut it off to let the turbos cool or run down is OLLLLLD thinking that is irrelevant to modern powertrains.

Bad luck?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9438-35TA

OP
OP
Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Are you running a Ford WSS-M2C961-A1 approved oil? Stock intake with clean air filter? Coolant changes every 100k miles or 5 years or so?

Besides preventative maintenance and keeping the engine stock there is not much you can do to prevent that. All of the old school thinking of idling the engine before you shut it off to let the turbos cool or run down is OLLLLLD thinking that is irrelevant to modern powertrains.

Bad luck?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9438-35TA
Yes to all. Early on I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum but after the turbos went the first time I switched to Mobil extended performance. Did a coolant change to gold in the spring. Spark plugs, filters, brake fluid, you name it.
Sponsored