Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Update 1/22/2021

Just got my truck back from service for the turbos. As per the repair ticket "Found excessive axial play in compressor wheels and verify compressor wheels contacting compressor housing on both turbos with damage to fins on turbos. Remove both turbos and replace Found coolant and oil tubes would not come out of turbo housing without damage and required replacement Replace all lines hardware and gaskets"

The parts list was quite extensive. I'm sure glad it was covered under warranty as I imagine it would have been quite expensive.

For those speculating and wanting to know more about the history of the truck, I've had it a little over 3 years, let the dealer do the first complimentary oil change at 7500 miles, and performed an oil change every 7500 miles after with Pennzoil Platinum and a Ford oil filter. Oil life monitor always showed plenty of oil life left and quick calculations showed olm would have gone to 0 at 10,000 miles or more. It's been a daily driver and I never towed anything with it. I would say I drive conservatively with an occasional spirited driving if I have to pee.

I've ranted in the past about problems with my 2018 F150 and I wanted to share a new one with all of you that are concerned about possible reliability with your Bronco. I have a 2018 F150 screw with the 2.7l ecoboost and 10sp trans. I really like the truck but it's reliability and Ford's ability to make it right have really let me down. 2 major issues it has had is the transmission clunk and shifting problems as well as the door locks/latches freezing in the winter. The truck has been in for service at least 5 times for each problem and yet the problems prevail.

Today though is a new one. My truck just turned 40,000 miles and the turbos are shot (yes both). Turbos are not cheap and luckily they're covered under the powertrain warranty til 60k miles. They're also backordered for an estimated 3 weeks.

If you're wondering what's wrong with them, they started making a lot of noise. It's not the known rattle of the linkage or the waste gates, but sounds more like a stick in the fans, a very loud ding ding dinging. The dealer was actually a bit perplexed by it. It took them 2 days to determine it was the turbos and they don't know what exactly is wrong with them, they just know there is a problem with them and they ordered replacements. It took me all of about 2 minutes to determine it was the turbos.

So my fear of small turbo engine reliability is not unfounded. It doesn't change my mind about getting a Bronco but I am going to research extended warranties since I was hoping to keep it for a while. The thought of having to shell out for a couple of turbos really put a pit in my stomach. Anyone else thinking long term warranty coverage on theirs? Any ideas?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pocobronco87

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 2001
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes forsure I want my to last 150k miles all tho bigger and better turbos custom for it will only cost 4grand plus install So not huge deal down the road but the transmission problems are more important

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes forsure I want my to last 150k miles all tho bigger and better turbos custom for it will only cost 4grand plus install So not huge deal down the road but the transmission problems are more important
A $4K repair, out of pocket, is nearly 10% of the sticker price of the typical Bronco. That’s a lot for an wear and tear repair.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
On my second turbo on my Chevy Trax. less than 30,000. More complicated = More problems. Give me a big block all day, every day. Luckily, I don't live in Cali where there will be no oil burners in a few years while they can't even keep the lights on...

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have a 2018 F150 2.7. Have 56,000 on it. In the first 5000 miles, the 10 speed auto did funky stuff when shifting from park to drive or reverse. Was almost like it was going back and forth between forward and reverse for a second. No issues with it for the last 51,000. No turbo issues on mine. My neighbor has the same truck. He had to have both turbos replaced at about 35,000. He's 72 years old drives so slowly I don't think his trucks turbos kicked in very often.
Mine is going in Christmas Eve for the door latch freeze recall. Service said its best to let the vehicle sit inside for a few days after they do whatever they do to fix it. Has happened 3 times in the last week, door wouldn't stay shut.
No extended warranty here. I always get a new vehicle when the warranty is up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've ranted in the past about problems with my 2018 F150 and I wanted to share a new one with all of you that are concerned about possible reliability with your Bronco. I have a 2018 F150 screw with the 2.7l ecoboost and 10sp trans. I really like the truck but it's reliability and Ford's ability to make it right have really let me down. 2 major issues it has had is the transmission clunk and shifting problems as well as the door locks/latches freezing in the winter. The truck has been in for service at least 5 times for each problem and yet the problems prevail.

Today though is a new one. My truck just turned 40,000 miles and the turbos are shot (yes both). Turbos are not cheap and luckily they're covered under the powertrain warranty til 60k miles. They're also backordered for an estimated 3 weeks.

If you're wondering what's wrong with them, they started making a lot of noise. It's not the known rattle of the linkage or the waste gates, but sounds more like a stick in the fans, a very loud ding ding dinging. The dealer was actually a bit perplexed by it. It took them 2 days to determine it was the turbos and they don't know what exactly is wrong with them, they just know there is a problem with them and they ordered replacements. It took me all of about 2 minutes to determine it was the turbos.

So my fear of small turbo engine reliability is not unfounded. It doesn't change my mind about getting a Bronco but I am going to research extended warranties since I was hoping to keep it for a while. The thought of having to shell out for a couple of turbos really put a pit in my stomach. Anyone else thinking long term warranty coverage on theirs? Any ideas?
Sounds like maybe you should look for a different service department

Akula22

Outer Banks
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

I’ve always been weary about Turbo’s period because I typically drive about 24K miles per year. I had the same concerns when I got my 2016 F-150 so I did some research and found that Mercury Insurance had a great extended warranty program for a reasonable price. I intend to do the same thing with the Bronco. Hope it helps your search.

OP
OP
Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do you know if Ford has fixed the freezing door locks problem for 2020 or will be fixed on bronco
I hope they came up with a better design. They don't know what the problem is. They're replaced cables, latches, covers, sealant, membranes. They were forced to recall them recently and now there is an extended warranty on the problem. I think it is the design of the latch. Look for a video on YouTube where you see the latch, it just looks prone to jam up with ice. Mine froze again after having all the work done. Door flew open making a right turn in a busy intersection.

Sponsored

Pocobronco87

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4 2001
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope they came up with a better design. They don't know what the problem is. They're replaced cables, latches, covers, sealant, membranes. They were forced to recall them recently and now there is an extended warranty on the problem. I think it is the design of the latch. Look for a video on YouTube where you see the latch, it just looks prone to jam up with ice. Mine froze again after having all the work done. Door flew open making a right turn in a busy intersection.
Hopefully bronco built differently because of removable doors ? Does ranger have same problem

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would love to have the twin turbo, but I plan on keeping my bronco long term. For all my mechanic brothers we know what it takes to replace those turbos. But it’ll definitely be a hell of a lot of fun before they go out. Just drove a Ford F-150 2.7 and my god it had me almost forking out the money for a bronco 2.7.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My Turbos have been flawless. Ford literally sells millions of turbos every year, some will fail, but they are not an frequent issue based on sales.

Rellax, Broncos come with a warranty. Drive, be happy.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh YES, Extended Warranty here, the only down side to it is no major modifications and I can live with that, not sure if I will get it when I buy or wait 3 years when they start calling me every other week about extending it LOL and I'm going with the 2.7 AT?

guzie

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru WRX sti, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What engine oil have you been running in the F150? It sounds like bearing wear on the turbo shaft. It’s got side play in it which makes me question the lubrication. Turbos spin very fast relative to the engine RPM. Your turbo is spinning over 50,000 RPMs routinely, even when not under boost. It’s still spinning and the pressure is being bled off through the wastegate. They see continuous high rpm and lots of heat. The heat is a heavy load on the oil and many oils don’t hold up well to the heat. They will have viscosity breakdown early on in their life cycle from thermal breakdown. You’ll find for example a 5w30 shearing to a 20 weight in the first couple thousand miles unless it’s a higher grade full synthetic. I for one strictly run Amsoil full synthetic oil in every car in my garage, especially the turbo cars.
Sponsored