Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad it was covered under warranty, OP!

As a previous poster pointed out, since both turbos failed at the same time, I suspect there is a missing bit of info here.

When my blowoff valve started failing (p0299), I stopped by the local Ford dealer and without even looking at it, the service mgr said that they would likely have to replace the turbos and wastegates.

I resolved NOT to let them even pop the hood.

Further investigation/research by me revealed the $70 valve issue.

Did you get to see the old turbos yourself?
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Update 1/22/2021

Just got my truck back from service for the turbos. As per the repair ticket "Found excessive axial play in compressor wheels and verify compressor wheels contacting compressor housing on both turbos with damage to fins on turbos. Remove both turbos and replace Found coolant and oil tubes would not come out of turbo housing without damage and required replacement Replace all lines hardware and gaskets"

The parts list was quite extensive. I'm sure glad it was covered under warranty as I imagine it would have been quite expensive.

For those speculating and wanting to know more about the history of the truck, I've had it a little over 3 years, let the dealer do the first complimentary oil change at 7500 miles, and performed an oil change every 7500 miles after with Pennzoil Platinum and a Ford oil filter. Oil life monitor always showed plenty of oil life left and quick calculations showed olm would have gone to 0 at 10,000 miles or more. It's been a daily driver and I never towed anything with it. I would say I drive conservatively with an occasional spirited driving if I have to pee.
Did they act like you're the only one?

OP
OP
Funkdoobiest

Funkdoobiest

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Basesquanch First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Did they act like you're the only one?
I did not see the old turbos. Another possibility is that no one has mentioned is that maybe Ford had a batch of bad turbos. It took them a while to diagnose the problem but didn't act like anything was unusual, more like just another day at Ford.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did not see the old turbos. Another possibility is that no one has mentioned is that maybe Ford had a batch of bad turbos. It took them a while to diagnose the problem but didn't act like anything was unusual, more like just another day at Ford.
Or....

Ford Bronco 2.7l and 10 speed reliabilty, turbos shot at 40k giphy - 2021-01-24T202424.711

*Experiences like this is why I emphasize looking for a dealership based upon its Service Department. Also, I sold 6.0 Diesels when they first came out... talk about yikes!

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update 1/22/2021

Just got my truck back from service for the turbos. As per the repair ticket "Found excessive axial play in compressor wheels and verify compressor wheels contacting compressor housing on both turbos with damage to fins on turbos. Remove both turbos and replace Found coolant and oil tubes would not come out of turbo housing without damage and required replacement Replace all lines hardware and gaskets"

The parts list was quite extensive. I'm sure glad it was covered under warranty as I imagine it would have been quite expensive.

For those speculating and wanting to know more about the history of the truck, I've had it a little over 3 years, let the dealer do the first complimentary oil change at 7500 miles, and performed an oil change every 7500 miles after with Pennzoil Platinum and a Ford oil filter. Oil life monitor always showed plenty of oil life left and quick calculations showed olm would have gone to 0 at 10,000 miles or more. It's been a daily driver and I never towed anything with it. I would say I drive conservatively with an occasional spirited driving if I have to pee.

I've ranted in the past about problems with my 2018 F150 and I wanted to share a new one with all of you that are concerned about possible reliability with your Bronco. I have a 2018 F150 screw with the 2.7l ecoboost and 10sp trans. I really like the truck but it's reliability and Ford's ability to make it right have really let me down. 2 major issues it has had is the transmission clunk and shifting problems as well as the door locks/latches freezing in the winter. The truck has been in for service at least 5 times for each problem and yet the problems prevail.

Today though is a new one. My truck just turned 40,000 miles and the turbos are shot (yes both). Turbos are not cheap and luckily they're covered under the powertrain warranty til 60k miles. They're also backordered for an estimated 3 weeks.

If you're wondering what's wrong with them, they started making a lot of noise. It's not the known rattle of the linkage or the waste gates, but sounds more like a stick in the fans, a very loud ding ding dinging. The dealer was actually a bit perplexed by it. It took them 2 days to determine it was the turbos and they don't know what exactly is wrong with them, they just know there is a problem with them and they ordered replacements. It took me all of about 2 minutes to determine it was the turbos.

So my fear of small turbo engine reliability is not unfounded. It doesn't change my mind about getting a Bronco but I am going to research extended warranties since I was hoping to keep it for a while. The thought of having to shell out for a couple of turbos really put a pit in my stomach. Anyone else thinking long term warranty coverage on theirs? Any ideas?
For this reason and the complexity of the vehicle, I'm getting the extended warrantee at time of purchase. At my age, this may be the last vehicle I buy...look out, next gen Mustang looks to be electric, Bronco cant be too far behind...ugh...let us buy ICEs

Sponsored

Jp215

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Update 1/22/2021

I've ranted in the past about problems with my 2018 F150 and I wanted to share a new one with all of you that are concerned about possible reliability with your Bronco. I have a 2018 F150 screw with the 2.7l ecoboost and 10sp trans. I really like the truck but it's reliability and Ford's ability to make it right have really let me down. 2 major issues it has had is the transmission clunk and shifting problems as well as the door locks/latches freezing in the winter. The truck has been in for service at least 5 times for each problem and yet the problems prevail.

Today though is a new one. My truck just turned 40,000 miles and the turbos are shot (yes both). Turbos are not cheap and luckily they're covered under the powertrain warranty til 60k miles. They're also backordered for an estimated 3 weeks.

If you're wondering what's wrong with them, they started making a lot of noise. It's not the known rattle of the linkage or the waste gates, but sounds more like a stick in the fans, a very loud ding ding dinging. The dealer was actually a bit perplexed by it. It took them 2 days to determine it was the turbos and they don't know what exactly is wrong with them, they just know there is a problem with them and they ordered replacements. It took me all of about 2 minutes to determine it was the turbos.

So my fear of small turbo engine reliability is not unfounded. It doesn't change my mind about getting a Bronco but I am going to research extended warranties since I was hoping to keep it for a while. The thought of having to shell out for a couple of turbos really put a pit in my stomach. Anyone else thinking long term warranty coverage on theirs? Any ideas?
From my own personal experience as an f150 owner, I had my door latches freeze and the door swing open on a turn when I first got mine in 2015. Since that day I have used my remote start every day when cold. My remote start is set to 15 mins and so far at least it seem to free up the latches when the cabin warms up. For the record I have not had any of the fsa’s or recalls for door latches done. And for your shifting issues, i would look up what is normal operation. The trans is designed so jump around through the gears to help fuel economy. And for extended warranty I have the ford esp premium care and it might be worth looking into

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had my 2 turbo's go out at 60k on my 2015. They showed me pics and there was soot and leaking all over them and everything else. Was definitely not cheap, total cost was around $8k. Dealer had no clue how it happened, but assured my it'd never happen again with the new ones with a wink and a smile.

I did pick the vehicle up used, and I think it had been a lease once or twice.

Lakeman77

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got 254K miles on my 2016 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost and the turbos are working just fine. 3.5 has been trouble free other than a couple plug and coil changes. I tow a 7x14 enclosed trailer regularly and she takes the abuse.

* I did install a catch can to filter out blow-by and I think keeping that sludge out has been a factor

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My wife drives a 2012 F150 Lariat Crew Cab with a 3.5 twin turbo. 80,000+. Replaced spark plugs and spark plug wires around 70,000 miles. This Truck drives as good as the day we purchased it 9 years ago. Change the oil at least 2 times a year with a quality Syn. The 2.7 is not a new engine for Ford and was developed for the F150. It was developed for its bread and butter product. The F150 is the number one of ALL vehicles sold in America. ALL means All makes and models period. Ford stakes its entire reputation on this 2.7 motor. I drive Ford Trucks because they last and take my abuse. I play hard, but I take extra good care of my vehicles. This Truck "Bronco" is an historic product to Ford. I have bought two first Gen Trucks from Ford and they were both awesome. One was a 1999 F350 (200,000+ miles) and the other was a 2017 F350. I don't need to defend ford, their Trucks speak for themselves. IMHO.

Hans

Outer Banks
First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would encourage everyone to play it safe and cancel your orders.

p.s. This has nothing to do with me wanting to move up a few thousand positions in the reservation line. ;)
Some cancel for a bronco raptor in year or so , this could speed up delivery on orders.

Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve always been weary about Turbo’s period because I typically drive about 24K miles per year. I had the same concerns when I got my 2016 F-150 so I did some research and found that Mercury Insurance had a great extended warranty program for a reasonable price. I intend to do the same thing with the Bronco. Hope it helps your search.
What price?

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I ordered the 2.7.
This will be a daily driver.
Is the engine not reliable?

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 2.7 EB 2016 has been killing me with the driveshaft “clunk” - bringing it back in Monday and told them if they don’t replace the entire driveshaft mechanism this time I’m going to lose it. First time they replaced the valve body. Second time they updated the software. Now they’re going to “lube” the driveshaft and if that doesn’t work they can replace. Trucks been in the shop 3-4 weeks this year because of lack of parts and a shortage of transmission mechanics in Southern California.

Anyway, I’m getting a 2.3l with a manual transmission and extending the power train-only warranty with FESB.

Fords shift points on this truck are insanely frustrating unless you use sport mode and kill your MPG. It’s constantly gear searching in stop and go.

I do not tune my vehicles because I don’t want to do further environmental harm and I want good MPG and I don’t want to spend even more time dealing with the truck and/or create warranty problems. I also don’t mind auto start stop at all in traffic I’ve tested both ways and the mpg savings are real. I spend a lot of time at lights in traffic.

having driven several electric vehicles(cars and motorcycles) I know that is the future. Infinite torque across the whole power band with no gears. Sign me up.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2013 Range Rover Evoque had the turbo manifold split apart... Welded sheet metal. Pretty common failure on then. And you can't order a new one without a turbo Attached!
Oh,and I'm pretty sure the motor needed partially dropped to get to it..
👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Sponsored