George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ll try to get the serial on Monday when the dealer opens.
Out of curiosity what is the benefit in calling Ford? Is this to keep dealers in check? I’m planning to call them, but just curious on the reasoning behind it. In the past when I’ve called they didn’t seem to be useful…

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll try to get the serial on Monday when the dealer opens.
Out of curiosity what is the benefit in calling Ford? Is this to keep dealers in check? I’m planning to call them, but just curious on the reasoning behind it. In the past when I’ve called they didn’t seem to be useful…
Man...I'm sorry George! IIRC I called this in your other thread! FYI I was a Ford service tech in a dealership for 15 years, I quit in 2004 to start my own shop, so maybe they are doing things different, but here's the basic way it used to go in cases like yours: Vehicles less than 12 mo from their in service date (or current model year I can't remember which), which have a catastrophic engine or transmission failure required a phone call to the "powertrain exchange" something something...don't remember what it was called. I would call somebody there and tell them my steps of diagnosis, and what I found etc (sometimes as simple as saying "pulled oil pan, found shrapnel, or 0 compression on cylinder x). The guy at the powertrain center would send us an engine or trans or whatever through a seperate channel than our parts dept IF HE HAD ONE. Hopefully that is the case w/all of you guys who have had 2.7 issues. The engine would show up relatively quickly and we were to return the core in the same crate as soon as the install was done. When this system worked it was MUCH quicker than going through the parts dept. The guys I talked to when I had to make those calls were very knowledgeable, and if there was a known issue they knew all about it long before I did. If you plan to call your dealer on Monday, the question I would ask would be "is an exchange engine available and is it on the way?" If so your truck will get fixed in a week or so one would assume, depending on the shops workload of course

Sponsored

scottyb907

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Ford Bronco, RAM 3500,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just curious, this can’t be only happening in the Bronco line up?

Rcarpen22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion 7.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, I had a 2.3 replaced after 600 miles. I would not classify mine as a catastrophic failure. The engine would still crank up and run, but with serious noise and vibration. They initially thought clutch, then looked at the transmission (7MT), before finally diagnosing as an engine issue. They did this by using an oscilloscope to figure out where the vibration was. I never did get word on what the issue was, but if I had to guess, I’d say the balance shaft belt was not properly tensioned and either jumped a few teeth or just came off. I got it back and it ran fine for a few hundred more miles before I sold it back to the dealership. They made a ton of money selling it USED for $19k over sticker. Then they sold me my replacement (that I ordered with a reservation) for MSRP. I’m still in a 2.3 because 7MT is a must for me. Wishing all you 2.7 peeps the best of luck and hope Ford gets this under control soon.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious, this can’t be only happening in the Bronco line up?
Sure it could. It's obviously a bad production batch...that whole batch could have gone to MAP for Bronco production...or the majority at least. Have not heard of a similar failure on F150 or any of the Lincoln products...but if anyone knows of one let us know?

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Man...I'm sorry George! IIRC I called this in your other thread! FYI I was a Ford service tech in a dealership for 15 years, I quit in 2004 to start my own shop, so maybe they are doing things different, but here's the basic way it used to go in cases like yours: Vehicles less than 12 mo from their in service date (or current model year I can't remember which), which have a catastrophic engine or transmission failure required a phone call to the "powertrain exchange" something something...don't remember what it was called. I would call somebody there and tell them my steps of diagnosis, and what I found etc (sometimes as simple as saying "pulled oil pan, found shrapnel, or 0 compression on cylinder x). The guy at the powertrain center would send us an engine or trans or whatever through a seperate channel than our parts dept IF HE HAD ONE. Hopefully that is the case w/all of you guys who have had 2.7 issues. The engine would show up relatively quickly and we were to return the core in the same crate as soon as the install was done. When this system worked it was MUCH quicker than going through the parts dept. The guys I talked to when I had to make those calls were very knowledgeable, and if there was a known issue they knew all about it long before I did. If you plan to call your dealer on Monday, the question I would ask would be "is an exchange engine available and is it on the way?" If so your truck will get fixed in a week or so one would assume, depending on the shops workload of course
From what I've read here, the engines show up fairly quickly but other required things can take months, such as the oil cooler.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I've read here, the engines show up fairly quickly but other required things can take months, such as the oil cooler.
Ya...I can see that...also dunno if they ship w/turbos or no. In @International_George case, his dropped right at shutoff locking the piston. They might be able to get away w/just putting a longblock...but I guess I'd feel better about it if they did it the same way as the ones that scattered. Another thing he can ask his service department about on Monday!

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
And to those trolls that want to downplay this, listen up. It is not only that it is happening (because when you buy a $60k vehicle you simply should not have to deal with this), but mainly because @Ford is choosing to ignore us, not provide any feedback, no words of comfort like "we are monitoring the situation and will communicate with each member promptly" or anything at all for that matter. Ford has no clue how to deal with customers directly, none at all. And, we know they are watching all these threads, so don't tell me they don't see this happening.
Quick reminder: the annual service cost on any modern mass produced Ferrari is about $10,000. Add another $7,000 for the bi-annual engine service.

I didn't do any digging, but I believe your cheapest Ferrari is still more expensive than $60,000.

Point being: your transaction price for Bronco is 100% irrelevant to a discussion regarding component failure rates.

Should any modern mass-produced engine here in 2022 (Happy New Year!) Have catastrophic failures at under 5,000 miles?

Yes, but only an exceedingly small percentage of them.

We have no visibility to production volume or failure rate to make an informed argument on the matter. This thread is awesome to track the potential and feel for others as they have failures, but the limited scope is substantial. There is some value in admitting the biases and lack of solid information we have when making the bold proclamations, no doubt Ford is gathering information to better determine where the cost/benefit ratio lies for what their response will be. But It may very well end up that it's cheaper overall to resolve the factory/component issues to prevent future issues and let the already produced units fail then replace the motors. (Mazda used to throw in two new motors with every RX-8!)

Dispassionate speaking, the largest problem here is the perception that every single unit should have a 100% success rate, because it won't. And the purchase price of your Bronco does absolutely NOTHING to move the needle on the failure rates of components.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi Sean, can we ask your help with this - trying to find the build-date for this failed 2.7 engine - see below

Is it possible to lookup the engine build-date for this VIN ?

As you know we have many 2.7 dropped valve reports in B6g. We're trying to see if they're confined to a range of engine build-dates. So far the range we have is 21160 - 21216. But this VIN/engine below could be later ?

btw, anyone near N.California looking Fords, Serramonte is the place to go - always straight deal - always respectful of their customers -
I couldn't find it in the system, I believe you have to check the date label on the LH valve cover.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Quick reminder: the annual service cost on any modern mass produced Ferrari is about $10,000. Add another $7,000 for the bi-annual engine service.

I didn't do any digging, but I believe your cheapest Ferrari is still more expensive than $60,000.

Point being: your transaction price for Bronco is 100% irrelevant to a discussion regarding component failure rates.

Should any modern mass-produced engine here in 2022 (Happy New Year!) Have catastrophic failures at under 5,000 miles?

We have no visibility to production volume or failure rate to make an informed argument on the matter. This thread is awesome to track the potential and feel for others as they have failures, but the limited scope is substantial. There is some value in admitting the biases and lack of solid information we have when making the bold proclamations, no doubt Ford is gathering information to better determine where the cost/benefit ratio lies for what their response will be. But It may very well end up that it's cheaper overall to resolve the factory/component issues to prevent future issues and let the already produced units fail then replace the motors. (Mazda used to throw in two new motors with every RX-8!)

Dispassionate speaking, the largest problem here is the perception that every single unit should have a 100% success rate, because it won't. And the purchase price of your Bronco does absolutely NOTHING to move the needle on the failure rates of components.
does the Ferrari maintenance take 2 months while they decide what to do?

Also, don't you think the price of a vehicle has anything to do with quality of assembly? (excluding Range Rover)

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is the 3 miles at failure from Canada correct? I would expect more miles on it just at delivery.

Gloff

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.serramonteford.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Big Bend, '03 BMW Z4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well said. 100 failures out of 100,000 is 99.9% success rate.
Sponsored