First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know there are several Focus RS owners on the forum. Despite using basically the same engine as the Mustang 2.3L I4, Ford just had to go and tweak it, and in the process ended up putting the wrong head gasket on several thousand of them.

So track record means nothing when it comes to Ford motors, even if the same basic design is bulletproof when used in another application.
Those mustangs had engine knock problems and they ran like turds unless they were tuned. After tune you had to use 92 octane.
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you already have the extended warranty? How long was yours in the shop?
No, so they extended my base 3/36k warranty to 6/72k. I do wonder if I can pay to extend that to 8 years. It was only in the shop about an hour but it took a day and a half to get it there and I was 600 miles from home. I spent the first two days of ownership mainly waiting on tow trucks. (n)

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update: Today the dealer called me and said he can't order a new engine because the Ford engineers need time to redesign it. So it's gonna be a while.
Hoping the dealer either doesn't know what he's talking about, or he does and is just feeding you a line of bull for some reason. [No ill will intended to you or your situation, understand.]

Otherwise, I rate your post four chili peppers. Extremely combustible.
🌶🌶🌶🌶

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1642500547213

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So yesterday I thought maybe I will just run it hard to get it over with and now after the news I read this morning I am thinking if it blows, I am going to tow it home and wait till they bullet proof the motors?
For the first time since I picked up my Bronco I am thinking of the old saying; don't ever buy the first year of a new model vehicle!

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update: Today the dealer called me and said he can't order a new engine because the Ford engineers need time to redesign it. So it's gonna be a while.
Appreciate the update.

Hopefully this redesign isn't like Ford's MIC top redesign. My MIC 2.0 suspiciously looks like photos I have seen on here of MIC 1.0 that created dirt mountain 🤦‍♂️

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
We have one forum member making a claim by one other person. The claim is no replacement motor due to the current 2.7 motor needs to be re-engineered or designed. This is a Huge statement which has to be verified by a Ford Motor Representative. This thread is going south very quickly now being we have one forum member here making this claim. Many many here have not even received there Bronco including me. This Statement is a STOP PURCHASE for me if it’s true. But and a huge but only 1 forum member is making this claim and what about the other 25 who’s engines failed. What are they being told? And sure call your local Ford Dealer and they will all be laughing when you say “I have heard the 2.7 engines are not designed correctly…..and“. Your dealer will do the obvious and respond oh you heard this on the internet uh huh.

Time for someone to get the REAL ANSWER is my point in the post. And not challenging the message Clarifying the message.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The fastest way for this to get resolved at Ford is people just start using lemon law’s to their advantage. Trust me, Ford will take notice when even a couple come back to them under lemon law.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They will almost certainly give you an extended warranty for this kind of failure. They reached out to me on here and doubled my warranty length after my coolant hose issue, in addition to reimbursing my trip expenses.

I bet @flip could confirm whether these engines are on an engineering hold.🤯
I got nothing. I can say the parts system is showing the below as of 1/17/22. Don't know if the units they're shipping are the redesign but the heads have changed part numbers. It doesn't say why the # changed and could be a redesign or could be just different supplier. Ford has likely figured out what the problem is and trying to fix it. IF this is the case I don't know what implications are for other 2.7 owners or future failures. I hate this for customers and Ford. Any time you tweak a design and farm it out to a different supplier you run the risk of issues by not having control like if you were doing in house. The hope is they acknowledge the problem and come out with a program for affected vehicles in the form of warranty extension or targeted part replacement.

Pending engineering change
3 expected to arrive at packager
5 pieces in transit for distribution
8 pieces to be shipped from packager
FCSD is working on part availability

Last edited:

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

TravisC91, you should lemon law it, then reorder, or do you want to be the fix-ginnea-pig? I can tell you, if my 2.7 fails, I am seriously going to consider a full exit. One of the reasons I bought Bronco was because a) they know how to build trucks, so how could they screw up a Bronco and b) I thought there ecoboosts were bullet proof. So if my engine fails, half of my motivation just died, and I refuse to put my Bronco for 2-3 months on some lot awaiting an engine that first needs to be redesigned...............
How complicated is the lemon law process? I have thought about this option with my blown engine Bronco now sitting as well.

Sponsored

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This can’t be real.
I can confirm, as I have posted earlier on, this is exactly what was said to me. The back order is not because of supply chain, but coming from Ford Engineering to redesign/fix/whatever to the 2.7L.
As I got my loaner, the service rep did say he would be billing Ford for 3 months. So I am assuming this is going to take some time.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The fastest way for this to get resolved at Ford is people just start using lemon law’s to their advantage. Trust me, Ford will take notice when even a couple come back to them under lemon law.
Yes, let's ban the 2.7L Bronco!

Society is much too litigious.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I got nothing. I can say the parts system is showing the below as of 1/17/22. Don't know if the units they're shipping are the redesign but the heads have changed part numbers. It doesn't say why the # changed and could be a redesign or could be just different supplier. Ford has likely figured out what the problem is and trying to fix it. IF this is the case I don't know what implications are for other 2.7 owners or future failures. I hate this for customers and Ford. Any time you tweak a design and farm it out to a different supplier you run the risk of issues by not having control like if you were doing in house. The hope is they acknowledge the problem and come out with a program for affected vehicles in the form of warranty extension or targeted part replacement.

Pending engineering change
3 expected to arrive at packager
5 pieces in transit for distribution
8 pieces to be shipped from packager
FCSD is working on part availability
@flip thank you for helping us all out with the information. Are the part numbers now different from what @Bmadda posted?
Complete cyl head assy:
ML3Z-6049-K LH
ML3Z-6049-J RH
No need to compare w/F150, you can see from the prefix those are Bronco only
Ex valve: JT4Z-6505-A
Valve spring: FT4Z-6513-A
Keeper: FT4Z-6518-A
Lock: FT4Z-6514-A
Rocker: FT4Z-6564-C
Lifter: BR3Z-6500-A

OP
OP