First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That looks like a burned valve, not a broken (dropped) valve. This won't show impact damage on the spark plug.

It's going to be a very unusual circumstance to have dropped valves isolated to only one cylinder. That would point towards an engine design issue. Perhaps temperature related, or oil starvation related, or both.
We really don't have much data on which cyl in most cases. We've heard #5 and #6, but most cases they don't tell us. Which is why we are asking when new ones pop up.
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Brice . . Man, can you ask @Broncitis to share the last-8 of his VIN ? (Nov 5 blown engine in OP - line# 18)
- he could send it to me by DM, so I can lookup the engine build-date on his Nov 5 blown engine, all private & confidential of course -

And much thx these screenshots from Scott Yuen blown engine
- yesterday @Beach_Bum (I think) mentioned this name, but was waiting to see the actual facebook ? posts
- will now add this blown engine in OP
- much appreciated
Yes, Scott is the one that I mentioned yesterday. I asked him on the FB group to take photos of the engine build date sticker (or have the tech text him an image).

And that will be the 3rd failed engine for Drew. His first 2 blew already. He mentioned them a while ago in the FB group. Sounds like the 3rd one blew. I mentioned his predicament back on page 1 of this thread. Unreal to think that he'll be on his 4th engine in 7 months of ownership.

Last edited:

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, Scott is the one that I mentioned yesterday. I asked him on the FB group to take photos of the engine build date sticker (or have the tech text him an image).

And that will be the 3rd failed engine for Drew. His first 2 blew already. He mentioned them a while ago in the FB group. Sounds like the 3rd one blew. I mentioned his predicament back on page 1 of this thread. Unreal to think that he'll be on his 4th engine in 7 months of ownership.
Third??? Yeah- there’s not a problem with the 2.7……. are you freaking kidding me? I’ll be done with the Bronco if I blow one!

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the cylinder number is identified, will it be possible to identify which of the 4 valves was the root cause of the self destruct? While the Jan 2022 newsletter statement, "Nano valve supplier issue was resolved with more robust design and material changes at the supplier", provides some comfort, it is still possible there are other engine flaws responsible. My old school engine knowledge would suggest, cam, injection timing and ignition timing could have some impact. Let's hope the issue is wholly a supply chain issue. 🤞

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like a great excuse to glue the throttle to the floor and use the gear shift for speed control.

Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Third??? Yeah- there’s not a problem with the 2.7……. are you freaking kidding me? I’ll be done with the Bronco if I blow one!
I know that he has had 2 bomb. He mentioned them in the Bronco Babes FB group a while back. But another B6G member just said he had his 3rd blow the other day. I haven't seen Drew himself state that, but they apparently have. The 3rd engine was a November build so it isn't just the early builds. He'll be on his 4th.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And that will be the 3rd failed engine for Drew. His first 2 blew already. He mentioned them a while ago in the FB group. Sounds like the 3rd one blew.
If you pair that comment with the Lima newsletter reference to "Nano valve supplier issue was resolved with more robust design and material changes at the supplier"....it would seem the new & improved valves are not in broad use?

fltechpilot

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Audi S3 1984 Porsche 928S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you pair that comment with the Lima newsletter reference to "Nano valve supplier issue was resolved with more robust design and material changes at the supplier"....it would seem the new & improved valves are not in broad use?
Also when was it resolved? Interesting news letter but doesn't offer any timeline hints.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I found the actual website for the Lima Plant here:
https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/news-and-clipsheet/plants/na/lima-engine.html

Which had a link to the "State of the Plant Newsletter" here:
https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage...ive/2022/1/state-of-the-plant-newsletter.html

There was mention of a known valve issue in this newsletter
1642715096774.png

I sent an email with a link to this thread so they could be aware of the information gathered here. I'll let you guys know if I get a response...
Nice sleuthing!! I’m also relieved they let folks know that picture was taken while masks were optional… hilarious.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4 engines…at what point do you buy a Jeep lol

Sponsored

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the cylinder number is identified, will it be possible to identify which of the 4 valves was the root cause of the self destruct? While the Jan 2022 newsletter statement, "Nano valve supplier issue was resolved with more robust design and material changes at the supplier", provides some comfort, it is still possible there are other engine flaws responsible. My old school engine knowledge would suggest, cam, injection timing and ignition timing could have some impact. Let's hope the issue is wholly a supply chain issue. 🤞
I had mentioned this earlier, that this is a material (alloy) problem and/or a valve design problem. They probably changed the specification of the alloy and increased the strength of the underhead and valve head area.

I seriously doubt it's an engine management problem, this would lead more to burned valves than broken valves.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So not only does his original motor blow, but the replacement blows. Then- the replacement’s replacement blows????? Un freaking real. That should be a news story!

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found the actual website for the Lima Plant here:
https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/news-and-clipsheet/plants/na/lima-engine.html

Which had a link to the "State of the Plant Newsletter" here:
https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage...ive/2022/1/state-of-the-plant-newsletter.html

There was mention of a known valve issue in this newsletter
1642715096774.png

I sent an email with a link to this thread so they could be aware of the information gathered here. I'll let you guys know if I get a response...
So those of us with Broncos in hand have a less robust design and faulty materials that could pose a safety hazard at any moment? @Ford Motor Company
Sponsored