SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Life insurance company wanted to know today why I was significantly increasing the policy on my wife. Told them because she drives her new Bronco w/ the 2.7 through mountain passes & shelf roads (8k-10k’) on a regular basis with many not having shoulders to pull off on when her engine blows.

Hopefully you don't bundle your auto insurance with that same company 😅
Sponsored

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At this point I am going to drive the wheels of it and if/when it happens, I am going to tow it home and let it sit until I am absolutely sure they build a reliable replacement, and my dealer has installed enough of them to make me comfortable with that part as well.

P.S. I will most likely be watching another thread while waiting for new engine like (how many miles on replacement 2.7) and putting more miles on my Jeep until this part of the Bronco saga is behind me.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

- yeah sometimes flip is so deadpan w the info . . lol . . at first am not sure what to make of it . . lol
- changing some parts sounds good move
- from other reports it seems the F-150 2.7 (nano gen2) has great reliability, which is very important to know - it seems the F-150 data tell us "solution exists" for Bronco - for example, suppose they made the two engines identical - then Bronco 2.7 should have the same great reliability ?
@flip any details on TSB 21-2366?
Here's my caveat. Please don't look at this and run into the dealer claiming to have this problem if you really don't. I say this because if the code(s) are not in there, the dealer can't claim this repair under warranty, nor do the reprogram/sensor replacement. It will be a big waste of the techs time who likely won't get paid or paid very little to go on a wild goose chase. This goes for other TSBs and SSMs. Just because there's a message out there doesn't mean it's a recall, has a fix or is applicable to everyone out there.

Not trying to sound dickish but FDRS and Ford can see exactly what's going on and what codes are present or in history. If the vehicle does not meet the criteria for an update or service procedure, it won't offer the update and if the tech "fudges" the write up, the claim will likely get charged back to the dealer.

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
2.7L EcoBoost - Illuminated MIL With DTCs P2096 And/Or P2098 - Built On Or Before 01-Sep-2021
21-2366
20 October 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Bronco
Engine: 2.7L EcoBoost

Issue: Some 2021 Bronco vehicles equipped with a 2.7L EcoBoost engine and built on or before 01-Sep-2021 may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P2096 and/or P2098 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to various software parameters within the PCM and/or a catalyst monitor sensor. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the PCM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021 Bronco
• Built on or before 01-Sep-2021
• 2.7L EcoBoost engine
• Illuminated MIL with DTCs P2096 and/or P2098 stored in the PCM

Last edited:

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure Fjord monitors these boards and knows who I am so I'm

Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
2.7L EcoBoost - Illuminated MIL With DTCs P2096 And/Or P2098 - Built On Or Before 01-Sep-2021
21-2366
20 October 2021​
Model:
Ford
2021 Bronco
Engine: 2.7L EcoBoost

Issue: Some 2021 Bronco vehicles equipped with a 2.7L EcoBoost engine and built on or before 01-Sep-2021 may exhibit an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P2096 and/or P2098 stored in the powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to various software parameters within the PCM and/or a catalyst monitor sensor. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to reprogram the PCM.
Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

Sounds benign and doesn’t feel like it’s this.

Sponsored

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds benign and doesn’t feel like it’s this.
I agree...and we've already shown failures past that date. This could be as simple as a wide band O2 sensor part change and a small tweak in the PCM Is needed to read correctly...if you have the problem.

Also, I agree with @flip , don't run to the dealer with this list. Just be aware your not on an island if you experience these issues and Ford has solved it or is at least aware. Sometimes you can fix them yourself.

Which brings this back on topic...with no SSM or TSB, Ford is most likely aware but isn't prepared to release the fix or doesn't have one. Talk about a rush to the dealer.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This lastest date now raises the issue for those of use that have had a new engine installed how many second failures happen. Surely you would think that they did not knowingly put a second engine in that has a known issue. But since my new one is dated Oct 2 guess I will see.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This lastest date now raises the issue for those of use that have had a new engine installed how many second failures happen. Surely you would think that they did not knowingly put a second engine in that has a known issue. But since my new one is dated Oct 2 guess I will see.
I believe there was one case where the replacement motor blew too. But only one known so far.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know if there's a public number of all 2.7 failures nationally. I can see how many are on backorder, how many are between the supplier and packager, in the depots and next month forecasted demand. What exactly the forecast is based on is just a mildly educated guess but I can tell you only 4 are on backorder at this time, about 20 in transit to the packager and a less than 30 forecast for next month. Forecast may factor in anticipated failures as a % of all failures and number of stock they want to keep for surge demand.

In contrast, and read into this what you will, but the 2.7 2021 F150 long block has 2 in a depot, about 25 headed to the packager and a next month demand of less than 50. The engine did change numbers from a -C to a -G.

Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man they should just replace the blown bronco motors with the F-150 motor, if that is even possible.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

no idea yet, but for there to be 1% failure rate, we would need about 350 cases based on the ytd production figures. for 2021. Who knows what the real world numbers are.

DrSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am Julian build date 305. We are getting a little too close for comfort.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dang. If these dates keep expanding, I’m going to have to think hard on taking my order or not.
I like living on the edge. Can't wait for my order regardless.
Sponsored