Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Bronco
Black Diamond
It was so destroyed that determining the root cause is not possible the whole engine self destructed.
Hopefully, the issue isn't a contagious virus...we're only a few miles apart :)
Advertisement

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Bronco
Badlands
Vehicle Showcase
I've not seen any other discussion if the catastrophic engine damage was caused by a broken timing chain or if it was simply broken as a result of the engine locking up?
It's quite possible the tech just assumes the timing chain is broken, because there is valve damage...Ford generally doesn't pay any teardown time if they know an obvious internal catastrophic failure has occurred, and they believe to know the root cause. Would be interesting to know if in fact the tech took it apart far enough to see if the timing chain was intact.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 06 Suzuki SV1000s
Bronco
Outer Banks
I have 4k+ miles on mine, but I really don't trust it yet, however at some point I will need to feel like I can

21180 build date.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Bronco
Black Diamond
I have 4k+ miles on mine, but I really don't trust it yet, however at some point I will need to feel like I can
21180 build date.
Ping me if it blows up...I'm 2 days behind you.

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Bronco
Badlands
Here just another thought from a none mechanic standpoint. It seems logical that at this point engines produced prior to June and after early Aug have not been reported as damaged. Seems Ford could examine what vendors or production standards or whatever are different before and after the bad dates and come to some non mechanical thoughts of what caused these issues in that period of time. The only flaw to this is the possibility that those produced after early August have not yet put enough miles on them to record failures yet

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Bronco
Badlands
Well now that I have a 2.7 delivered, and I have like 140 miles on it... Lol. I figured I'd pay more attention to this thread. Took a picture or my engine code... Might be ok me thinks?!
20220108_094824.jpg

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Bronco
Outer Banks
Clubs

So…roughly 4500 miles in, I think my engine has blown. Car lost power to the engine as I was driving, alert flashed on the dash to put car in park and restart engine. As I drifted to get out of the traffic to the side of the road, car became engulfed in smoke from the tailpipe with a sort of burnt smell to it.
June 8th engine build. 21159.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Bronco
Badlands
Vehicle Showcase
So…roughly 4500 miles in, I think my engine has blown. Car lost power to the engine as I was driving, alert flashed on the dash to put car in park and restart engine. As I drifted to get out of the traffic to the side of the road, car became engulfed in smoke from the tailpipe with a sort of burnt smell to it.
June 8th engine build. 21159.
Did it lock up? or can you still crank it? once the dealership gives you a diagnosis, pass the word on here so @Lucchese can add it to the list

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Bronco
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did it lock up? or can you still crank it? once the dealership gives you a diagnosis, pass the word on here so @Lucchese can add it to the list
It just shuttered and shut off as I was driving…I honestly didn’t try to recrank it because I had 3 little kids with me and the smoke was so much, it actually came back into the car. So everyone was a little shaken up. I’ll know more on Monday when the service department opens back up.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 06 Suzuki SV1000s
Bronco
Outer Banks
And you wonder why I don't trust it at 4k miles (actually 4,850 or so now).

Advertisement

Advertisement