MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The posts state dropped valves as the failure. Does anyone know if these are all the result of a timing chain break? If not, does anyone know if the valve failures are occurring in the same cylinder on the 2.7? Thanks.
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The dealer replaced the starter and the engine won’t crank over. They told me they need to pull the valve covers to confirm what the issue is but I know what’s next. The way it shut off as I was stopping was a little rough and had the character of rotating mass not easing to a stop, it hit a wall meaning this thing is froze up.
I wonder how long it will take to get the engine swapped and back on the road?
Built date approximately 10/17/2021
Holy hell so his engine was built in October my 2,7 was built in November so far so good but seeing an October engine go bad has me worried there all shit

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With all of these popping up, I just checked my build date and I’m 21216. Right in the middle of it, uggghhh.

Now what? I currently have 1500 miles on it. Do I just hold my breath with every drive, or is there something the service department can do to prevent it? I’m guessing no because Ford is putting their blinders on.

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With all of these popping up, I just checked my build date and I’m 21216. Right in the middle of it, uggghhh.

Now what? I currently have 1500 miles on it. Do I just hold my breath with every drive, or is there something the service department can do to prevent it? I’m guessing no because Ford is putting their blinders on.
I am right there with you. 1800 miles and build date is 21168.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

On,y thing you can do is drive it and hope For the best they won’t replace anything until it’s broke or a recall is issued which they prob won’t do cause of the bad pr they will get

Sponsored

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Holy hell so his engine was built in October my 2,7 was built in November so far so good but seeing an October engine go bad has me worried there all shit
Not sure, but the October date could be the date of the vehicle production ; not the engine. At least in this particular case. 🤷‍♂️

At any rate; I don’t think FORD has a fuckin clue what the problem is.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not sure, but the October date could be the date of the vehicle production ; not the engine. At least in this particular case. 🤷‍♂️

At any rate; I don’t think FORD has a fuckin clue what the problem is.
Yeah I dont think his engine build date was October I think all engines built from October on are good I’m hoping I have a November engine build and it’s been great so far knock on wood with 400 miles on it lol

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

#21211 for me and 1861 miles still running strong

ColoradoKid26

Badlands
First Name
Naughty Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badsquatch, 2022 F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At this point there is an obvious issue, and I really hope Ford gets off their ass and gets in front of this. Put out a TSB, a recall, anything. The PR beating will be worse if they ignore what happening with the 2.7. The last thing any of us want is to drive with the fear of 'when is it happening'.

I intended to drive the balls off of mine, and my greatest fear is being at 11,000 feet here in Colorado and the engine grenades. It can be tough to get SAR into some areas, let alone a tow truck. This makes me almost not want to drive it.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On,y thing you can do is drive it and hope For the best they won’t replace anything until it’s broke or a recall is issued which they prob won’t do cause of the bad pr they will get
This is scary.

I have two kids in the car and the engine could seize at any moment.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We still know zero about the cause, which sucks.
Lean or detonation failures wouldn't depend on mileage, and there would be way more of them.
One bad batch of parts wouldn't spread out over 5 months of failed builds.
Hopefully Ford is going over all of the data from the blown engines.

Seems random, e.g. employee X was swilling early times when assembling the bad builds.
We actually know quite a bit about the cause, If you read through all the reports it's pretty obvious. The plant will have received several cores by now, and failure analysis is done. Not a running problem/lean out/timing induced detonation for sure...we can rule that out at this point, due to the fact that @International_George had his fail on shutdown, and pics posted in one of the other threads I can't seem to find right now. Improper heat treat is the "word on the street", and that theory still holds water at this point. I'm still hoping a few dealerships will tell whether it was intake/exhaust or both

EDIT: finally found the pics I was thinking of,
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...racking-thread-ford-please.28682/post-1035405

Last edited:

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's the highest mileage that these fails have happened at? Seems that they're relatively low mileage (under 5k or less?). Sort of thinking once you get past that range of miles, you're probably safe?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's the highest mileage that these fails have happened at? Seems that they're relatively low mileage (under 5k or less?). Sort of thinking once you get past that range of miles, you're probably safe?
If you read the OP, @JollyFolly is the highest mileage...also the most recent failure...although details on his won't be known till he gets word from his dealership during the week.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Has anyone thought about compiling this list and sending it the the NHTSA (I'm guessing that's the right agency) for investigation? Someone outside of Ford should take a look at this if there have been that many failures among just forum members and nothing from Ford regarding a recall.
Sponsored