First Name
Brian
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Bronco
Badlands
Vehicle Showcase
Great info, thank you! My fear is a tech missing something too…and then the problem just gets worse down the road.
Maybe you could ask nicely if they can tell if your failure is an intake valve as well? Not sure if the replacement engine will have an intake manifold on it, so he might have to pull it anyway, or may be able to see by borescope. Also if they wana show you the spark plug...take a pic for us. Alot of talk about leanout/detonation...but the spark plug wont lie about that!
Advertisement

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Bronco
Big Bend
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, having a brand new engine in a brand new car destroy itself like that is going to be tough to forget about anytime soon -- even if the new engine is perfect and doesn't have any issues, your new car has still had a mechanic essentially gut it very early on. As far as engine replacements go, I would say it's much harder for them to mess up a longblock swap than something like, say, replacing a head gasket. They won't have to open the new engine up whatsoever once it arrives -- they'd just have to transfer over things like turbos, hoses, manifolds, etc. and replace any that caught debris from the failure.

Sorry for your headache, but if it's any consolation it looks like you're in good company of other folks with the same exact issue as you.
Thanks for the support, but to be honest the entire ordeal has left me with a pretty bitter Bronco taste. My biggest issue, besides the engine taking a crap, has been Ford customer service. At first, they were very sympathetic, understanding, and made promises to "make it right" and "take care of me". When I finally got the Bronco back, they pretty much ghosted me. I had to actually reach out to them to make sure they got the rental car receipts I sent them a week earlier and if they were in the process of reimbursing me. When I asked what they were going to do for me to "make it right", all she said they could do is give me three years of free limited maintenance (oil changes and tire rotations).

Personally, for all the crap I had to deal with and lose my essentially brand new vehicle for 6 1/2 weeks, I don't think they "took care of me" very well.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the support, but to be honest the entire ordeal has left me with a pretty bitter Bronco taste. My biggest issue, besides the engine taking a crap, has been Ford customer service. At first, they were very sympathetic, understanding, and made promises to "make it right" and "take care of me". When I finally got the Bronco back, they pretty much ghosted me. I had to actually reach out to them to make sure they got the rental car receipts I sent them a week earlier and if they were in the process of reimbursing me. When I asked what they were going to do for me to "make it right", all she said they could do is give me three years of free limited maintenance (oil changes and tire rotations).

Personally, for all the crap I had to deal with and lose my essentially brand new vehicle for 6 1/2 weeks, I don't think they "took care of me" very well.
Yeah, I know that feeling quite well -- I'm a Focus RS owner. Pretty much all of us had to bring in our RS's for the head gasket recall only a few thousand miles in. Ford wouldn't replace every engine; if your engine passed the compression test, they simply replaced your head gasket and sent you on your way. But months after starting the recall process, they updated the workshop instructions for that head gasket replacement. The original instructions called for the wrong sealant to be used on the timing chain cover, which starts leaking 10,000mi down the road. Not only that, but it's very easy for the service folks to cause damage to your turbo oil feed lines when doing both the head gasket and timing chain cover work. I've been chasing slow oil leaks for the last 20,000 miles.

It's not nearly as bad as a blown engine, but for what it's worth I've been bit by the same bug many many times.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 A4, 2018 Tiguan
Bronco
Outer Banks

Not being a smart ass at all but what did you hope you’d receive? This is a question coming from a fellow 2.7 order that could very well grenade in ‘22.

Obviously an engine that doesn’t explode is my first hope. But some type of extended warranty instead of free oil changed might be nice.

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Bronco
Big Bend
Vehicle Showcase
Not being a smart ass at all but what did you hope you’d receive? This is a question coming from a fellow 2.7 order that could very well grenade in ‘22.

Obviously an engine that doesn’t explode is my first hope. But some type of extended warranty instead of free oil changed might be nice.
At first they offered free extended warranty....I purchased that when I bought the Bronco. They then offered to make a month or two of payments, which is great.....but fortunately it's paid off. Three or four oil changes/tire rotations don't really equate to an extended warranty or couple months of payments. It's not really even the monetary value/comp that bothers me as much the lack of communications after I got the Bronco back. Over a week had went by when I emailed them the rental car receipts without any response. I had to initiate the phone call to make sure they got the receipts and confirm they were going to reimburse me.

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Bronco
Outer Banks
Keep the popcorn popping....I doubt this story is going away.

So....I wonder how many 2021 Broncos are sitting in customer driveways so far?
Some percentage - 60%/70% - will have the 2.7
Some percentage of that likely doesn't have 1,000 miles

And 18/19 blown engines only represents folks posting their issue on this forum. So, multiply that by 3x...5x...10x?
I doubt the percentage is over 50% since all manuals are 2.3. If you say 40% that’s 24,000 broncos with 2.7 built in 2021.so right the list would be one hundredth of a percent.

SS Hawk

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 F350 Superduty, '21 Bronco Badlands-SAS, AMB
Bronco
Badlands
Here's mine. Failed this last Saturay. Sick to my stomach and very frustrated!

User: SS HAWK
Failed Part Number: MB3E-6007-AA
Engine Julian Date: 21165
Engine Sequence Number: 120059
Mileage of failed motor: 1238
Cause of failure: diagnosed as internal damage (potentially Valve)
Replacement Part Number: Unknown
New Engine Julian Date: Unknown
New Engine Sequence Number: Unknown

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Bronco
Badlands
It’s the gift that just keeps giving the whole year through.

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 4Runner, + bikes
Bronco
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here's mine. Failed this last Saturay. Sick to my stomach and very frustrated!

User: SS HAWK
Failed Part Number: MB3E-6007-AA
Engine Julian Date: 21165
Engine Sequence Number: 120059
Mileage of failed motor: 1238
Cause of failure: diagnosed as internal damage (potentially Valve)
sorry to hear - hope no accident, hope everyone okay -

in the opening post (OP) check-out the repair threads** - lots of good advice

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Bronco
Black Diamond
Absent any causation info from Ford, I guess idle speculation is appropriate.

Remember spring & much of summer when the 2.7 was "constrained"? The forum was agast that Ford had not anticipated its popularity in the order logs. Maybe it was a different problem entirely...maybe significant numbers of 2.7s were scrapped coming off the Lima line? For whatever reason.

Ford kinda showed their cards with MIC 1.0 - with glaringly obvious flaws they kept production humming for months. Even shipped many before opening dirt mountain.

Perhaps the MIC & 2.7 are cuzzins? :)

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

No, One tenth of 1 percent! In six sigma terms 0.1 Way too high!!
Their math also doesn’t account for the fact that there are probably way more nonB6G members hitting this — so even in that optimistic 24,000 2.7L delivered and 23 B6G member failures reported, it’s a minimum failure rate of ~1/1000 which is wayyyyy too high. If there are another 120 or so nonB6G failures out there, that’s 1/200 chance of getting a dud. I would not take those odds.

Advertisement

Advertisement