Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you have more details on this? On a related note, does the replacement engine come with turbos?
You can ask Drew for specifics. He is on IG and commented recently on the Bronco Babes FB group about the 3rd engine which caught me by surprise.
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you can show ANY real data that shows what I said is wrong then you can have some credibility I guess.
If only 10% of Bronco owners are on this forum, then maybe the total number of blown 2.7 engines is 200 instead of 20.
200 out of 20,000 means Ford would do absolutely nothing, that's lower than the normal % of new vehicle engine failures.
You're the one making claims and making up numbers, you're the one that needs to post data. What's the normal failure rate for new engines under 2000 miles?

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not sure how accurate this info is, but seems we are well below these averages at this point.
9b05d3ad-0cdc-48ec-88b0-4ca3bb03e5d5-jpeg.jpg
So....what's the revised numbers for "FAILURE IN THE FIRST MONTH OF USE"?

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shit, just checked my engine ser#. :oops: It's the last one of that range.Yikes.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG_0476.JPG

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I find it funny that those who will bury their heads in the sand over any ford issues (potential or otherwise) are asking for specific and actual data on 2.7 failures- while giving no specific numbers or actual data on their end. Therefore- there’s no issue!

No one has actual verified data. All we have to go on is what someone posts here or another forum. It’s all guesstimating. But looking at the number of blown engines posted here with the small number of bronco owners here who own 2.7’s with a certain mileage on them- it seems significant enough to look into.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 2 cent. When a problem arises people tend to go to forums and FB groups. I'd assume that percentage of failures reported on here are actually quite higher than the percentage of failures in the real world.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The fact that there are maybe only 40k Bronco's in the wild and we have 19 engine failures in one of the two engines offered, is telling. If this were "Normal" we would see equal or more posting of 2.3L failures since more of them have been delivered.

This 2.7L failure is not a normal or acceptable failure rate. After finding out about the 2.3L electrics being low on the powertrain, I still refuse to switch engines.

Modern powertrains have become fairly bulletproof, so this is sort of a big deal.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is what I always find funny about this forum. People don't realize that only what...5-10% of the total Bronco owners are even on this forum? And even more importantly so, active enough to make a public post to go over their 2.7L issues. People are quick to say "these forums make small issues seem big". IMO, it's quite the opposite really. We have a list of 19 Broncos just on THIS forum with the same issue. As you said, multiply that now by 10x-20x and that would be an accurate number of how many Bronco's this is truly affecting.
I think where this gets skewed is the fact that we are all the enthusiasts that reserved and waited forever for our broncos. I believe out of all the 2.7L bronco driving on roads today, id bet over 20% are forum members. Now once broncos become more and more available this number will go down. But sample size is still small and the percent of failure may be high or low... We will never know. But it's good to track this stuff so we can all be informed on what to watch for and to see how it's being handled.

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is excellent we’re tracking, and I’d be willing to bet that Ford is not sitting idly by while this happening. The Bronco is a critical launch for them, and they’ve already had their share of hiccups.

They appear to be taking care of the people with issues or trying to take care of them.

I strongly doubt they will say a word to anyone until they are confident that the issue is resolved. Even then, we may not hear a peep. It is in their best interest to fix this as quietly as possible. They answer to shareholders and not customers. We are essential, but they will not risk a thing to appease a few people on a forum.

Plus, there is no way to rapid test engines on a test stand. I’ve said this previously, but if the issue is difficult to replicate, it may take time to resolve.

I have a 2.7 on order, and of course, I’d like no concern, but I’m hoping I don’t hit the unlucky lottery, and if I do, I expect they’ll take care of me, and I’ll move on.

Sponsored

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
The failure rate of the 2.7 is EXTREMELY low in non Bronco applications. It's being reported that there was a supplier issue? Not sure if there was something different on the Bronco spec'ed 2.7 compared to other Ford's? I just bought a 2.7 F-150 that was built in October. I'm not worried about it failing. If it does, it will get replaced under warranty. I also owned a 2.3 Ranger that was excellent for 30K before I traded it. I'm not afraid of either engine no matter how many internet post crop up.

Edit: Not trying to sound like a fanboi above. I honestly think Ford has screwed this whole Bronco thing up to epic proportions, it's why I walked away personally.

Last edited:

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My bet is that this is statistically insignificant.
I wish there was someone who had this answer....WAIT - its FOMOCO!

I'm guessing their silence to due to fear they'll jeopardize their reputation for mediocre quality.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see no harm in tracking this kind of data.

I would have never considered a Ford until this beautiful beast walked into my life. Being a huge Toyota fan I'm concerned (which means I follow these kind of threads). Thanks OP for developing a list. It may be an isolated few number of cases but what if it snowballs into something larger. If so, it's good to use this forum as a way to track this because all manufacturers (Toyota included) will not make this public until necessary.

I empathize with the folks who waited in line like all of us and is now without a vehicle.

And.....everyone posting numbers and statistics is really pulling numbers out of their asses. Time will tell.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So you don't worry at all that your engine will fail you on the highway and cause an accident, or fail in the backcountry and leave you stranded?
No more than I’d be worried with any other car since mine hasn’t given me any issues yet. It will become a problem if it becomes a problem, basically. 4500 trouble-free miles on the clock so far.

I normally employ a “3 strike” rule that determines when I get rid of a car, but if it needs a full engine replacement in the first 10k miles that will be all 3 strikes, and I’ll write Ford off for the future.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I came here to say this.

My 2 cent. When a problem arises people tend to go to forums and FB groups. I'd assume that percentage of failures reported on here are actually quite higher than the percentage of failures in the real world.
Since everyone else is wildly speculating numbers, I'll join in. The majority of failures of this magnitude will be reported to FB and forums. Also the majority of delivered Broncos are to enthusiasts who have early reservations. They are more likely to be involved in internet groups to have learned of the reservation system to jump in line early.

I'm not a Ford fanboi/apologist. This is my first Ford. Am I concerned? No. Shit happens in life. I deal with it when and if it happens. To be worried over what might happen in the future is not a way I could live.

I appreciate the data collection and consolidation. It is good to be informed. I'd handle it as I would any auto break down. Attempt to fix it myself, if not, figure out how to get it to someone who can.
Sponsored