First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
just curious as to how many of the reported engine failures were Broncos held on dirt mountain? I'm just wondering if this issue was addressed. Mine was there and besides the ht problem they fixed the reported hose problem of rubbing on the pully.
Interesting. Mine was at dirt mountain for months and they did not fix the hose/pully on mine.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
just curious as to how many of the reported engine failures were Broncos held on dirt mountain? I'm just wondering if this issue was addressed. Mine was there and besides the ht problem they fixed the reported hose problem of rubbing on the pully.
There is NO WAY that DM Broncos had engines replaced...but if they did, the Julian date would have changed. If your engine's julian date is LATER than your build date, then that's the only way you would know. Of course some replacement engines are even earlier julian dates, so that's not a surefire way to tell

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There is NO WAY that DM Broncos had engines replaced...but if they did, the Julian date would have changed. If your engine's julian date is LATER than your build date, then that's the only way you would know. Of course some replacement engines are even earlier julian dates, so that's not a surefire way to tell
Is the engine replacement the only way to fix the problem before it happens? I don’t know that’s why I’m asking

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the engine replacement the only way to fix the problem before it happens? I don’t know that’s why I’m asking
They aren't going to do headwork on brand new engines. That would be an even bigger fstory. A field fix would possibly be to replace cylinder heads (complete assy part numbers above), but I'm 100% sure the factory isn't going to do that. Better question...would service replacement heads have better valves in them? At this point who knows. Until the root cause is completely tracked down, you would stand a chance of creating a failure when one wouldn't have happened in the 1st place.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

much appreciated Hailey - this gives engine build-date July 28 - same as another failed 2.7L we have -
- BIG help - this makes seven we have tracked, & if any luck George will be eight -
- in OP plan to add table of build-date/codes & fail-dates -
- much thanks, thank you, thank you, much appreciated
my engine was built the same day. Hasn’t blown yet. Wonder when you can feel comfortable if ever? I’m at 3500 and thought I might be out of the woods.

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

in OP added table of the seven engine build-date codes we have so far -
- table is located below the photos -
Great work!

Are you reaching to those with failed engines to get their build date/engine SN# if we don't have it? If you need help doing so, I'll split the list with you.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
in OP added table of the seven engine build-date codes we have so far -
- table is located below the photos -
That table is a great visual aid...but the more hard info I see, the more questions come to mind.

If the root cause is the rumored bad valve batch, I would expect failures in a tighter cluster of engine build dates -OR- a much larger number of reported failures within that ~2 month window.

No??? This info makes me think there was intermittent valve defect across a production run much larger than a 'batch'.

Engine Build-Date
21160 (09 June)​
21161 (10 June)​
21166 (15 June)​
21209 (28 July)​
21209 (28 July)​
21214 (02 Aug)​
21216 (04 Aug)​

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Any chance we can get the cylinder number that is damaged from people as well? This can narrow down or expand our hunt for the answer.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
in OP, many links to owner posts/threads mention their failed cylinder# - didn't notice much pattern, but maybe ?
Don't think I have seen it mentioned anywhere whether the exhaust or intake valve failed...I know they aren't going to pull heads, but a quick peek under the valve cover would probably tell ya. If you asked the tech nicely? Before the core gets sent back would be easy enough.

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There was an image of a bashed sparkplug and the bore scope from inside the cylinder. A tech is going to have to take several steps to identify a bad engine and part of that would lead to identifying the cylinder in question. It's also important to note which valve is dropping, intake or exhaust.

Poor valve quality or mechanical valve train components would distribute to both engine banks, depending on assembly practices.
Do we know if this is an interference engine? Cam phasers could be playing a part in this as well.

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thx, have been thinking of this and how to do it

the 'unknowns' that we can reach via B6g are line #'s - 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 14, 18, & 19
(#20 is already working it)

trouble is their failed engines are prob gone by now - maybe they still have their original engine ser# ? - if not, a Ford rep would need to lookup using their VIN - so we'd have to recommend a rep for them to contact - @mpeugeot has been recommending people to contact @flip

ADDED:
you might try contacting this new one - via his update thread
8) @Lance103222 - engine fail Dec 23
- just went in the shop - prob still has original engine -
- others already asked him - no response I've seen -
I reached out to @Lance103222.
Sponsored

Last edited: