Reaction score
Website
www.haileyjohnson.realtor
Vehicle(s)
1977 Ford F-150, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

? can someone lookup the engine build-date for this VIN ?

this could be the most recent engine build-date posted so far - then we can add this to the known range of failures
I'd take a picture for you, but it's in the shop.
Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is excellent weā€™re tracking, and Iā€™d be willing to bet that Ford is not sitting idly by while this happening. The Bronco is a critical launch for them, and theyā€™ve already had their share of hiccups.

They appear to be taking care of the people with issues or trying to take care of them.

I strongly doubt they will say a word to anyone until they are confident that the issue is resolved. Even then, we may not hear a peep. It is in their best interest to fix this as quietly as possible. They answer to shareholders and not customers. We are essential, but they will not risk a thing to appease a few people on a forum.

Plus, there is no way to rapid test engines on a test stand. Iā€™ve said this previously, but if the issue is difficult to replicate, it may take time to resolve.

I have a 2.7 on order, and of course, Iā€™d like no concern, but Iā€™m hoping I donā€™t hit the unlucky lottery, and if I do, I expect theyā€™ll take care of me, and Iā€™ll move on.
And this is why tracking is a good thing- whether itā€™s a major issue or not. If itā€™s mainly confined to a date range, then those of us outside that range can breath easier. My 2.7 wonā€™t be built until February (if Iā€™m lucky) so I feel pretty good already that theyā€™ll have whatever issues fixed by then. But if we keep tracking and a fairly decent amount of engines keep blowing- it will make me hesitant to take long trips, especially with my girls riding with me. A failure on the highway could be bad!
But I think youā€™re right- ford will never say a word. Hopefully it just gets fixed and we all enjoy our broncos!

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,ā€˜21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just checked mineā€¦ā€¦ build date 21216 šŸ˜¬

2700 miles so far, *knock on wood*

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 31ECF5B6-A104-490C-8A57-742D4FFF9AE4

DesertDweller

First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Anyone making excuses for Ford on this one is failing to acknowledge that the reason Ford stock was so low prior to the Bronco announcement is because they have had a history of producing cars with major failures and then failing to fix them. Just look at those 2012-on transmissions in the Focus. They dragged out that lawsuit for ~8 years and effectively evaded fixing the problem for many because they just waited it out.

This 2.7 issue is a major red flag, and one I don't anticipate @Ford Motor Company taking any accountability for or making an effort to correct (They kept putting those jerky transmissions in the Focus. They didn't fix it.) Hopefully they prove me wrong.

Last edited:

Drafting_Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 GT/CS, 20 Honda Insight EX & 19 Mazda CX9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How many 2.7's are failing in F-150's? Is that the only other application for this engine?

Sponsored

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://amp.freep.com/amp/1671198001

Interesting quote from this article and I suspect the same situation will be in effect here with the scale of this launch. It is still a shit show but big difference in Bronco brand vs Focus.

ā€œThe engineer, who no longer works at Ford and requested anonymity out of concern it might jeopardize his career in the auto industry, said the company had previously identified transmission issues in high-profit trucks and disrupted everything to issue ā€œstop ships to limit quality exposureā€ and fix those problems. The DPS6 transmission was treated differently.ā€

Anyone making excuses for Ford on this one is failing to acknowledge that the reason Ford stock was so low prior to the Bronco announcement is because they have had a history of producing cars with major failures and then failing to fix them. Just look at those 2007-on transmissions in the Focus. They dragged out that lawsuit for ~8 years and effectively evaded fixing the problem for many because they just waited it out.

This 2.7 issue is a major red flag, and one I don't anticipate @Ford Motor Company taking any accountability for or making an effort to correct (They kept putting those jerky transmissions in the Focus. They didn't fix it.) Hopefully they prove me wrong.

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Make it 20ā€¦ I just got the call from the dealer that mine dropped a valve. Needs a new engine. No idea how long this will take to get replaced.

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It must have happened Christmas Eve when we got home. We shut it off after an hour ride on the freeway and didnā€™t try to start it until the 27th. It was freezing here so I thought it was a dead battery. No codes in Forscan that werenā€™t related to voltage. It gave us no warning that it was having issues before it died. 1795 miles on the odometer. Iā€™m open to answer any questions. Hopefully they can fix it within a month or two.

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Much appreciated. At least it happened in the driveway, and not on the freeway. If you have engine ser# would be very helpful - see OP photos. Glad everyone okay.
Iā€™ll see if they will send me a pic of the serial.
Has anyone heard how long a replacement will take? Iā€™m assuming a couple months. Sucks my only other car is a 1980 Scout II thatā€™s currently topless. Going to press the dealer to help my out on a second vehicle.

Sponsored

bishop0577

Base
First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door base/sqatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
My was built 21174. Fingers crossed. haha. I was planing on getting the extended warranty at some point even before this.
I am with you at 21193. I picked it up October 2nd and just rolled 2k miles. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you can show ANY real data that shows what I said is wrong then you can have some credibility I guess.
First off it would be unacceptable not inacceptable. 2nd you have no real data that states anything other than a few engine failures. Youā€™re telling someone to show facts to disprove your opinion that you are stating like itā€™s a fact. You donā€™t know what the percentage of failure is or whether itā€™s high or not. Purely speculative. It could be 10%, it could be less than 1%. For you to act like an authority on the matter and tell someone to prove you wrong is ridiculous. From what I can tell, no one knows what the real percentage is and anything floated out there is a guess.

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FWIW I was very diligent in taking it easy during the first 1000 miles during the break in period. Also only ever used top tier 92 octane. Maybe this was my undoing.
Sponsored