NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Have you also been tracking odometer readings at time of failure? Wondering what the breakdown looks like
Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
- so far engine build-dates run 21160 - 21216
Mine is 21161 lol, so an engine from the prior day failed? Wonder if I should be scurred after all!

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
The 2.7 has been installed in hundreds of thousands of vehicles-- mostly in the F-150. Currently it is Gen 2 form and has shown less issues then Gen 1 which was manufactured until 2018. As a result there are limited issues with the engine and certainly no where near the failure rate of the 3.6 heads used in the Jeep-- which Chrysler upgraded the warranty on some of the earlier models to 10 yrs/150000mi. I guess I do not understand the "panic" here concerning the failure rate being reported when there are 10X's the number of 2.7's in the F-150 and there isn't even a whisper of any unusually high number of failures being reported there-- not to mention any of the other vehicles that the 2.7l is being used.
I had a 2016 F-150 Gen 1 that did have the valve guide issue-- ford replaced it and other than time did not cost me any thing. I am sure if there is some real issue here Ford will do the right thing and either fix or replace any issue experienced. The 2.7 has essentially been bullet proof in the real world and to expect any thing different in the Bronco is unrealistic. Any new vehicle can have issues -- here is some info on gen 1 and gen 2 2.7's. My 21 F-150 has the 2.7 and if I order a Bronco it will have the 2.7 as well-- and I will not worry one bit that it will crap out on me.

https://broncodrive.com/ford-2-7-ecoboost-reliability/

https://dustrunnersauto.com/ford-2-7l-ecoboost/

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to be a troll (honestly) but have there been any catastrophic 2.3L failures yet?

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Finally got my Bronco back after 6 1/2 weeks at the dealership. Fortunately, I haven't found any scratches, dents, or dings and they did a great job getting the hood aligned. I didn't have any issue making the 100+ mile trip home.....no engine lights, no smoking, and no overheating.

The pictures below are the new engine's build number and the invoice from the dealership showing what was replaced and their diagnosis.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG_0004
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] invoice 1
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] invoice 2
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] invoice 3

Sponsored

desert_rat

Big Bend
First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not to be a troll (honestly) but have there been any catastrophic 2.3L failures yet?
there is a thread about a brake problem with the 2.3L that is also documented on other vehicles. I don't know the technical terms for it but it causes the brake pedal to be extremely hard to push.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 has been installed in hundreds of thousands of vehicles-- mostly in the F-150. Currently it is Gen 2 form and has shown less issues then Gen 1 which was manufactured until 2018. As a result there are limited issues with the engine and certainly no where near the failure rate of the 3.6 heads used in the Jeep-- which Chrysler upgraded the warranty on some of the earlier models to 10 yrs/150000mi. I guess I do not understand the "panic" here concerning the failure rate being reported when there are 10X's the number of 2.7's in the F-150 and there isn't even a whisper of any unusually high number of failures being reported there-- not to mention any of the other vehicles that the 2.7l is being used.
I had a 2016 F-150 Gen 1 that did have the valve guide issue-- ford replaced it and other than time did not cost me any thing. I am sure if there is some real issue here Ford will do the right thing and either fix or replace any issue experienced. The 2.7 has essentially been bullet proof in the real world and to expect any thing different in the Bronco is unrealistic. Any new vehicle can have issues -- here is some info on gen 1 and gen 2 2.7's. My 21 F-150 has the 2.7 and if I order a Bronco it will have the 2.7 as well-- and I will not worry one bit that it will crap out on me.

https://broncodrive.com/ford-2-7-ecoboost-reliability/

https://dustrunnersauto.com/ford-2-7l-ecoboost/
And there’s our “nothing to see hear” peep showing up! I knew it wouldn’t be long.
I bet the 20 listed here weren’t worried about blowing a motor with less than 5k miles either! But here we are….. and the list keeps growing.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

there is a thread about a brake problem with the 2.3L that is also documented on other vehicles. I don't know the technical terms for it but it causes the brake pedal to be extremely hard to push.
I meant with the engines specifically...

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Finally got my Bronco back after 6 1/2 weeks at the dealership. Fortunately, I haven't found any scratches, dents, or dings and they did a great job getting the hood aligned. I didn't have any issue making the 100+ mile trip home.....no engine lights, no smoking, and no overheating.

The pictures below are the new engine's build number and the invoice from the dealership showing what was replaced and their diagnosis.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] invoice 3
Sucks it took that long but nice to see it was taken care of correctly. Here’s to many thousands of miles of trouble free adventures 🍻

desert_rat

Big Bend
First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I meant with the engines specifically...
I think someone mentioned 1 issue with the 2.3 but I haven’t seen it myself. Only the brake booster issue that has made a couple of folks nearly crap their pants!

GarL

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1) @mmcq - 1st post*** - fail~July 21, 1146 mi
2) Jose Hernandez - 1st posted - fail~Dec 2 ?
3) @jeremy.wilson237 - 1st post - further - fail Dec 10, 2012 mi
4) @ToddGinGA - 1st post - fail Dec 5, 1358 mi
5) @Bubbabow - 1st post - further - fail Nov 21, 4000 mi
6) @Nikole - 1st post - fail~Nov 1 ?, 2900 mi
7) @Hailey Jo - 1st post - fail Dec 4, 3581 mi
8) @Lance103222 - 1st post - fail Dec 23, 2024 mi
9) father of @Shinoko - 1st post - further - fail Nov 21
10) @estone28 - 1st post*** - fail Oct 21, 1000 mi
11) Steve Seale - 1st posted - fail Oct 22, 0003 mi
12) @Broncoshrimp - 1st post*** - fail Sept 10, 2400 mi, new 2.7L
13) fbf of @bytheway - 1st post - fail Oct ?
14) @yogi_stvl - 1st post - further - fail Sept ?
15) charr124 @BN - 1st posted - fail Oct ?, 1524 mi
16) @roofone - 1st posted - fail Sept ?
17) @69 Mach I - 1st post*** - fail Nov 14, 2744 mi, new 2.7L
18) @Broncitis - 1st posted - further - fail~Nov 5, 2200 mi
19) @Broncitis - replacement also crapped out - fail Dec ?
20) @International_George - 1st post - fail Dec 24, 1795 mi

*** dedicated threads covering their repair experiences

- so far the engine build-dates run 21160 - 21216 - see how to read Engine Ser#
- ? corrections ? other posts overlooked ?

- the frequency of failures seems less than last month
- in October a Ford employee (@Jay3630, deleted soon after) made five posts re 'bad batch of brittle valves' - 'April batch' - see posts #1, #2, #3, #4, #5
- if the failures are caused by 'bad valves', maybe that 'April batch' has been working its way thru the system - then the problems could subside

If Your Engine Fails - after Bronco w dealer service,
- good to call Ford Customer Svc
- good to send VIN & full name to @Ford Motor Company here in B6g
- when time permits, the engine ser# would be very helpful to B6g build-date tracking efforts

example Engine Ser# Labels -

View attachment 233158
Very useful thread. Thanks!

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
well, I had to check my number. I have 21267, so now I am just going to almost like expect it. The frustrating thing is this. I really pay attention to "break-in", call me old school, but never above 50% throttle first thousand miles, always varying load, gentle boost only - then increasing. Now at 1300 miles and increasing thrust, pressure and torque.

The engine runs great and has clearly increased elasticity when compared with the first 500 miles or so. In general, I don't think I will be affected, but then again, so did any of those failed so far not think it would happen.

And to those trolls that want to downplay this, listen up. It is not only that it is happening (because when you buy a $60k vehicle you simply should not have to deal with this), but mainly because @Ford is choosing to ignore us, not provide any feedback, no words of comfort like "we are monitoring the situation and will communicate with each member promptly" or anything at all for that matter. Ford has no clue how to deal with customers directly, none at all. And, we know they are watching all these threads, so don't tell me they don't see this happening.

desert_rat

Big Bend
First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

And to those trolls that want to downplay this, listen up. It is not only that it is happening (because when you buy a $60k vehicle you simply should not have to deal with this), but mainly because @Ford is choosing to ignore us, not provide any feedback, no words of comfort like "we are monitoring the situation and will communicate with each member promptly" or anything at all for that matter. Ford has no clue how to deal with customers directly, none at all. And, we know they are watching all these threads, so don't tell me they don't see this happening.
the most obnoxious thing is that the only posts @Ford Motor Company replies to are positive posts/experiences. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/members/ford-motor-company.21911/

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
First off it would be unacceptable not inacceptable. 2nd you have no real data that states anything other than a few engine failures. You’re telling someone to show facts to disprove your opinion that you are stating like it’s a fact. You don’t know what the percentage of failure is or whether it’s high or not. Purely speculative. It could be 10%, it could be less than 1%. For you to act like an authority on the matter and tell someone to prove you wrong is ridiculous. From what I can tell, no one knows what the real percentage is and anything floated out there is a guess.
We have a lot of estimated numbers here... some people are better at estimating than others.

I don't intend to present my estimates as facts, but you sounded so righteous I thought maybe you had some facts.
Sponsored