Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thx, have been thinking of this and how to do it

the 'unknowns' that we can reach via B6g are line #'s - 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 14, 18, & 19
(#20 is already working it)

trouble is their failed engines are prob gone by now - maybe they still have their original engine ser# ? - if not, a Ford rep would need to lookup using their VIN - so we'd have to recommend a rep for them to contact - @mpeugeot has been recommending people to contact @flip

ADDED:
you might try contacting this new one - via his update thread
8) @Lance103222 - engine fail Dec 23
- just went in the shop - prob still has original engine -
- others already asked him - no response I've seen -
The VIN detail in OASIS will have the original engine and trans serial numbers. Ford has a Low Time In Service (LTIS) program for early powertrain failures. If the failure falls within the program guidelines, like all of these so far, there's really no teardown done. Most have to be disassembled to the point of failure and a cost cap performed to determine if it's a repair or replace situation.

So far I've had two techs borescope the failures and said the dropped valve appeared to be fully intact, even though its wadded up in the cylinder or imbedded in the piston. Not that all of these failures are the same but this leads me to believe the valve heads aren't popping off. It might mean a valve is sticking in a guide, piston hits which causes keepers to let loose and finish sucking it in OR a spring is breaking and allowing it to drop which is my original theory. Until we get more linear data from failure analysis, all we can do is make assumptions with what we have seen and what components we know are involved.

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got mine back old engine was blown meaning all valves pistons etc blown apart. Metal went through turbos and it blew the oil plug out and all fluids. However I think I am blessed with all this Ford was great covered rental car got new engine with end of sept date here in month. The biggest thing is I had a meticulous mechic who document like a dissertation what he saw from the old engine and put the new long block one back in like handling a baby. Wise I had thought to get him to sign the engine sticker I am sure this is as close to getting a custom engine as you can get. Hats off to Park Ford service in Hendersonville NC

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Considering there have been reports of engines "breaking" after shutdown and just not restarting, a broken valve spring, a sticking valve or failed keepers seems most plausible and would explain why the entire valve ends up in the cylinder. Which also means there may be failed engines that don't have catastrophic failure, they're just locked up and could be torn down for root cause analysis.

Thanks for your efforts @flip

Sponsored

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im within the questionable build range (september production) and have 6700 miles on mine currently, no issues to date.

Curious if the faulty components are destined to fail or if certain conditions increase the likelihood. I changed oil twice already, took it easy for the first ~1000 miles.

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t think the production of the car date matters it is the engine date. I had a June/July engine date but a September bronco production the new engine has a late sept date. If you have a sept engine date no worries in my opinion

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you share any photos of the borescope findings?

Likewise, can you share a screenshot of your technician’s detailed write-up?
Nope. These were just messages back and forth, no pics, just a description. If, God forbid, we have one fail, I'll have my engine guy do a teardown and document.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Im within the questionable build range (september production) and have 6700 miles on mine currently, no issues to date.

Curious if the faulty components are destined to fail or if certain conditions increase the likelihood. I changed oil twice already, took it easy for the first ~1000 miles.
Impossible to say at this point...that's kinda what we are aiming to sort out. Generally if a engine component was manufactured wrong, there is NOTHING that will change the outcome...babying it won't help, beating it won't hurt.

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For perspective I worked at the best warranty claim plant Ford motor company had in the 2000s before Mark Fields shut it down. The best month on record was 64 things gone wrong per 100 cars. Power train engine failures were a piece of that. 20 engines failing out of 45000 units would not turn on the DEFCON 1 alarm. If all 20 were a specific cause (like exhaust valves dropping) there would be a reaction at the engine plant. Every manufacturer with fossil fuel engines has failures, most of them don’t end up on social media. “Ford has a 2.7 problem” is like “all the people killed in the Boston massacre” once the viral spreading begins. It sucks to have a new Bronco stuck in the shop waiting on a new engine, I feel for those affected. I would ask for an extended warranty for free if my Bronco smoked a motor.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There was an image of a bashed sparkplug and the bore scope from inside the cylinder. A tech is going to have to take several steps to identify a bad engine and part of that would lead to identifying the cylinder in question. It's also important to note which valve is dropping, intake or exhaust.

Poor valve quality or mechanical valve train components would distribute to both engine banks, depending on assembly practices.
Do we know if this is an interference engine? Cam phasers could be playing a part in this as well.
Overview

The 2.7L Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI) (4V) is a V-6 engine with the following features:

• Interference design engine
  • Dual overhead camshafts
  • Four valves per cylinder
  • Gasoline Turbocharged Direct Injection (GTDI)
  • SFI
  • Composite intake manifold
  • Aluminum cylinder heads
  • Compacted graphite iron cylinder block
  • Twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT)
  • An electronic ignition system with 6 ignition coils
  • Variable displacement oil pump
Engine Identification

For quick identification, refer to the safety certification decal.

The decal is located on the LH front door lock face panel.

Engine Code Information Label

The engine code information label, located on the rear of the vacuum pump and on the LH valve cover, contains the following:

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

They aren't going to do headwork on brand new engines. That would be an even bigger fstory. A field fix would possibly be to replace cylinder heads (complete assy part numbers above), but I'm 100% sure the factory isn't going to do that. Better question...would service replacement heads have better valves in them? At this point who knows. Until the root cause is completely tracked down, you would stand a chance of creating a failure when one wouldn't have happened in the 1st place.
Makes perfect sense. TY
Sponsored