Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 3.5EB, 2021 2DR Base 2.7L Auto
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That table is a great visual aid...but the more hard info I see, the more questions come to mind.

If the root cause is the rumored bad valve batch, I would expect failures in a tighter cluster of engine build dates -OR- a much larger number of reported failures within that ~2 month window.

No??? This info makes me think there was intermittent valve defect across a production run much larger than a 'batch'.

Engine Build-Date
21160 (09 June)​
21161 (10 June)​
21166 (15 June)​
21209 (28 July)​
21209 (28 July)​
21214 (02 Aug)​
21216 (04 Aug)​
My engine is 21214. How can there be 2?
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 20220107_104337
Sponsored

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So has there been anything said about the circumstances that these engine's had blown.
Were they just driving down the road and BLAM. Or were they rock climbing our mud bogging and HELLO, welcome to the shit show?

I have the same build as some of the other dates. So your sayin there's a chance?

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So has there been anything said about the circumstances that these engine's had blown.
Were they just driving down the road and BLAM. Or were they rock climbing our mud bogging and HELLO, welcome to the shit show?

I have the same build as some of the other dates. So your sayin there's a chance?
I was just cruising up the interstate. Have not even had my Bronco off road yet. I was also pretty careful the first 1k miles during the break in period. No indication of an issue.....it just shut down. My g/f says she heard a "noise" first....said it sounded like I ran something over. I didn't hear anything, but my hearing isn't the greatest!

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine happened when I shut it off in the driveway at home. Leisurely freeway drive before that. No indication of an issue.

Sponsored

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was just cruising up the interstate. Have not even had my Bronco off road yet. I was also pretty careful the first 1k miles during the break in period. No indication of an issue.....it just shut down. My g/f says she heard a "noise" first....said it sounded like I ran something over. I didn't hear anything, but my hearing isn't the greatest!
Def a BLAM situation, great ! now I have a feeling I’m driving a ticking time bomb!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe the very first one reported on this forum was a person whose engine blew soon after running it in the sand dunes. However most after that, their engine gave up while just cruising. Almost to the point that thoughts of running to lean or timing may happens causing this.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've not seen any other discussion if the catastrophic engine damage was caused by a broken timing chain or if it was simply broken as a result of the engine locking up?
Recap: December 23rd, while stopped at a stop light, the engine was at idle when it abruptly shut off (only 2,024 miles on it). The 2.7 would simply not restart. The Bronco ended up being towed to local Ford dealer where it discovered that the timing chain broke, the valves had destroyed the pistons and metal shaving contaminated the entire oil system.

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t know on mine but was driving on highway all of a sudden the compression on the engine went crazy, the pressure dropped up and down oil started spilling out the bottom as well as all other fluids and it died. The mechanic said all values were destroyed the pistons etc blown apart and metal went throughout including the turbos. It simply self destructed totally. So hard it blew the oil plug out of the engine and as said earlier all fluids dumped. It was so destroyed that determining the root cause is not possible the whole engine self destructed. Could have been many many things caused it but on mine no telling.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Don’t know on mine but was driving on highway all of a sudden the compression on the engine went crazy, the pressure dropped up and down oil started spilling out the bottom as well as all other fluids and it died. The mechanic said all values were destroyed the pistons etc blown apart and metal went throughout including the turbos. It simply self destructed totally. So hard it blew the oil plug out of the engine and as said earlier all fluids dumped. It was so destroyed that determining the root cause is not possible the whole engine self destructed. Could have been many many things caused it but on mine no telling.
top-fuel-explode.gif

Sponsored

CarryOn

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-350, 2014 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had a build date of 10-18. Engine date is 21214 with a sequence number very close to another engine that did fail.

What I find a bit interesting is my Bronco (and several others) was held at the plant for at least another month due to what they called QC issues. I’m hoping Ford was being proactive and replacing parts that could possibly be faulty due to reports they were getting. I know chances are slim mine would fail, but it would be nice if we could find out if Ford did anything to minimize this on our engines that were built in this time frame.

ColoradoKid26

Badlands
First Name
Naughty Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badsquatch, 2022 F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I panic checked my engine this morning. Nov 23? Hopefully it is past all the grenaded engines
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Bronco Engine#

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had a build date of 10-18. Engine date is 21214 with a sequence number very close to another engine that did fail.

What I find a bit interesting is my Bronco (and several others) was held at the plant for at least another month due to what they called QC issues. I’m hoping Ford was being proactive and replacing parts that could possibly be faulty due to reports they were getting. I know chances are slim mine would fail, but it would be nice if we could find out if Ford did anything to minimize this on our engines that were built in this time frame.
Mind hasn’t blown up, but kind of odd. Our build dates are like 17 days apart, but our engines are 80 days a part. 11/4 build, 294 engine Julian date.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It was so destroyed that determining the root cause is not possible the whole engine self destructed.
Hopefully, the issue isn't a contagious virus...we're only a few miles apart :)

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've not seen any other discussion if the catastrophic engine damage was caused by a broken timing chain or if it was simply broken as a result of the engine locking up?
It's quite possible the tech just assumes the timing chain is broken, because there is valve damage...Ford generally doesn't pay any teardown time if they know an obvious internal catastrophic failure has occurred, and they believe to know the root cause. Would be interesting to know if in fact the tech took it apart far enough to see if the timing chain was intact.
Sponsored