First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have 4k+ miles on mine, but I really don't trust it yet, however at some point I will need to feel like I can

21180 build date.
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have 4k+ miles on mine, but I really don't trust it yet, however at some point I will need to feel like I can
21180 build date.
Ping me if it blows up...I'm 2 days behind you.

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here just another thought from a none mechanic standpoint. It seems logical that at this point engines produced prior to June and after early Aug have not been reported as damaged. Seems Ford could examine what vendors or production standards or whatever are different before and after the bad dates and come to some non mechanical thoughts of what caused these issues in that period of time. The only flaw to this is the possibility that those produced after early August have not yet put enough miles on them to record failures yet

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well now that I have a 2.7 delivered, and I have like 140 miles on it... Lol. I figured I'd pay more attention to this thread. Took a picture or my engine code... Might be ok me thinks?!
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 20220108_094824

Sponsored

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So…roughly 4500 miles in, I think my engine has blown. Car lost power to the engine as I was driving, alert flashed on the dash to put car in park and restart engine. As I drifted to get out of the traffic to the side of the road, car became engulfed in smoke from the tailpipe with a sort of burnt smell to it.
June 8th engine build. 21159.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So…roughly 4500 miles in, I think my engine has blown. Car lost power to the engine as I was driving, alert flashed on the dash to put car in park and restart engine. As I drifted to get out of the traffic to the side of the road, car became engulfed in smoke from the tailpipe with a sort of burnt smell to it.
June 8th engine build. 21159.
Did it lock up? or can you still crank it? once the dealership gives you a diagnosis, pass the word on here so @Lucchese can add it to the list

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did it lock up? or can you still crank it? once the dealership gives you a diagnosis, pass the word on here so @Lucchese can add it to the list
It just shuttered and shut off as I was driving…I honestly didn’t try to recrank it because I had 3 little kids with me and the smoke was so much, it actually came back into the car. So everyone was a little shaken up. I’ll know more on Monday when the service department opens back up.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And you wonder why I don't trust it at 4k miles (actually 4,850 or so now).

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
We still know zero about the cause, which sucks.
Lean or detonation failures wouldn't depend on mileage, and there would be way more of them.
One bad batch of parts wouldn't spread out over 5 months of failed builds.
Hopefully Ford is going over all of the data from the blown engines.

Seems random, e.g. employee X was swilling early times when assembling the bad builds.
Sponsored