Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Too bad the issue wasn't with the valve retainers or springs. Do those can be replaced somewhat easily without taking the heads off.

But it sounds like the consensus is the valves, even though we haven't seen a broken valve yet have we? I know there's pics of them being bent but that's expected with you drop in the cylinder.

It would suck to find out that something stupid like a spring or a retaining clip is the cause, again being that they can be easily replaced once you get the valve cover off.
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
But it sounds like the consensus is the valves
I know you've followed this issue closely.

The failures we're seeing seem to occur in the 1K - 4K mileage range. But then we don't have owners with 8K - 10K - 12K miles yet. Assuming you're correct about the valve issue, when would you assume you've entered the "safe zone"?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know you've followed this issue closely.

The failures we're seeing seem to occur in the 1K - 4K mileage range. But then we don't have owners with 8K - 10K - 12K miles yet. Assuming you're correct about the valve issue, when would you assume you've entered the "safe zone"?
The highest mileage reported so far with a dropped a valve was 4500.

So in my head I have 5k as the magic number for basically all the gremlins. After checking all the known issues (like loose plugs, nuts, and wires, things rubbing on drive lines, etc), I think if I can make it to 5k, I'll be in the clear.

imaginager

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Been following this thread and not sure what to think. My motor was built on the same day as one of the 11 identified on the first page of this thread (21175). Hits a little close to home. But, of course, there were many engines built on that day and, apparently, not all of them have failed (that this forum knows of).

In any event, for me the whole point of purchasing the Bronco was to take it places that are REMOTE and that I couldn't get to in my previous vehicle. Now, I'm researching satellite phones... Not really the experience I'd hoped for.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Now, I'm researching satellite phones... Not really the experience I'd hoped for.
Well stated....unless and until Ford chooses to remove the mystery surrounding the Many 2.7 failures, I don't think any of us are going to feel secure in the remote & WILD areas Ford marketing touted early on.

On the plus side "malls" are usually near service dealerships, so Bronco remains well suited for that purpose.

Sponsored

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just checked and my 2.7L is smack in the middle of these reports - 21179 (June 28).

I just hit 1K miles with no issues so far but now I'm a bit paranoid. :cautious:

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

6,466 miles
I think I was the same build week as you. Mine is 21209 and I'm at about 3,800 miles without issue. *knocks on wood*

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thx posting the spark-plug photo again w observations . . interesting

& this research you did last week about the intake valves . .

Question - but why not continue the F-150 comparison for all parts in the head assembly and so forth ? I thought this was the point of investigation - to see if any part differences between F-150 and Bronco. As we know, both engines are listed as 2.7L Eco (Nano 2nd gen), but we also know the F-150 has a different engine-part# from the Bronco. And per the Ford rep, we suspect some combination of the F-150 heads / valves / turbos / manifolds could be different part#'s from the Bronco part#'s. To my thinking, the reason for the parts comparison is find out why we're seeing Bronco 2.7 failures, but not in F-150 - So why not compare all the part#'s. For example, the Bronco failures could be the keepers, or the springs - so why not compare those part#'s also ? Then if Bronco has different part#'s it might explain why the F-150 engines not failing ?

ADDED: also I get what you're saying about valves improper heat treatment as the big suspicion, and we have this from couple different sources, so maybe the other parts are not so interesting . . then again we don't know for sure yet

btw, in those 'Shady streets' you don't happen to run across any ex-Ford Lima layoffs from last spring . .
Keepers, locks, springs etc are common across 3.0L/2.7L family. Same as Exploder/Edgesport/F150 etc. There's only so much you can glean from the catalog. I fully expected the loaded head to be Bronco only, assuming it includes cams, and Ford gave Bronco 2.7 it's own cams. The Intake valve was curious though. The parts guy I talked to found it curious as well. I worked in the service industry and don't know anyone in production, but scenarios like this have played out before. Not trying to create ANY conspiracy theories. Not making apologies for anything either. It's entirely possible that the parts catalog means nothing at this point, but, alot of questions have come up as to why Bronco 2.7 is affected, and F150 not...or at least not that we are hearing about. Clearly there ARE differences between the 2 builds

EDIT: Cam #'s as follows JT4Z-6250-B, FT4Z-6250-J, JT4Z-6250-C, JT4Z-6250-A. At 1st glance none of those would seem unique to Bronco

Last edited:

segt1915

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Been following this thread and not sure what to think. My motor was built on the same day as one of the 11 identified on the first page of this thread (21175). Hits a little close to home. But, of course, there were many engines built on that day and, apparently, not all of them have failed (that this forum knows of).

In any event, for me the whole point of purchasing the Bronco was to take it places that are REMOTE and that I couldn't get to in my previous vehicle. Now, I'm researching satellite phones... Not really the experience I'd hoped for.
My motor also has a 21175 build date. I took mine in for a vicious rattle on start-up one month ago. The dealer has diagnosed an issue with the cam phasers that they're waiting on parts to fix. In the meantime the dealer gave me a loaner F150 that I'd rather drive when it's cold and rainy anyway, but if I'm prolonging the wait on my engine blowing up I'd rather get it over with all at once.

Sponsored

imaginager

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My motor also has a 21175 build date. I took mine in for a vicious rattle on start-up one month ago. The dealer has diagnosed an issue with the cam phasers that they're waiting on parts to fix. In the meantime the dealer gave me a loaner F150 that I'd rather drive when it's cold and rainy anyway, but if I'm prolonging the wait on my engine blowing up I'd rather get it over with all at once.
How many miles do you have on it, if you don't mind saying?

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So…roughly 4500 miles in, I think my engine has blown. Car lost power to the engine as I was driving, alert flashed on the dash to put car in park and restart engine. As I drifted to get out of the traffic to the side of the road, car became engulfed in smoke from the tailpipe with a sort of burnt smell to it.
June 8th engine build. 21159.
So update for yah, blown engine. Cylinder #5. I am not a big car guy, so not sure what that means. They said internal failure. They are still diagnosing and will have a more formal update for me tomorrow.
For all the car guys on here, what else would need to be replaced? How bad is this?
For everyone else, what would you do in my situation? Take a replaced motor? Ask for a buyback and look for something new/different? Ask for an extended/extended warranty?
Also does anyone have a good # for Ford HQ customer service? I want to call them.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a Bronco, that means that I have 2 doors. ;)

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] denzel-washington-my-heart

Ya, it's a pig normally because I have a heavy foot.

My highway average is about 17 mpg though.
Saved plenty of weight by going 2dr instead of 4dr -- enough to tow a brand new 2.7L crate motor with you wherever you go 🥲

All jokes aside, love the look of your 2dr. The wheel and low-profile winch combo are great.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So update for yah, blown engine. Cylinder #5. I am not a big car guy, so not sure what that means. They said internal failure. They are still diagnosing and will have a more formal update for me tomorrow.
For all the car guys on here, what else would need to be replaced? How bad is this?
For everyone else, what would you do in my situation? Take a replaced motor? Ask for a buyback and look for something new/different? Ask for an extended/extended warranty?
Also does anyone have a good # for Ford HQ customer service? I want to call them.
"Blown engine" doesn't give us much to go off of, unfortunately -- I would ask your service advisor for as much information on the failure as possible. If they're saying "blown engine" one can only assume there's enough damage to the piston, cylinder wall, head, etc. to warrant a full engine replacement.

ELI 16: engine "timing" refers to everything that has to do with keeping the various engine functions in sync with one another -- when the piston starts to move down to intake air, the intake valve needs to be open and gas needs to be injected; when the piston comes back up to compress that air and gas, the valves need to be closed; when the piston reaches the top of that compression stroke, the spark plug needs to fire; and so on. If these things get out of sync, bad things occur. Air/gas mixture can explode before the piston is in the right position, causing the engine to work against literal explosions in the cylinder (explosions are usually the winner in the long run). Valves can open at the wrong time, causing the piston to slam into the valves and destroy one another. If your engine failure is like the others noted here, it's likely that a valve in cylinder #5 inside your engine somehow got out of timing, or got disconnected entirely and "dropped" into the cylinder. This causes metal to crash into metal over and over again, instantly destroying your engine from the inside out. There's not much you could've done to avoid that.

ELI 5: imagine your pistons are big, sharp, metal industrial fans -- your fingers are the valves. You have superhuman speed, and while the fans are spinning you can put your fingers in between the blades and remove them before they get chopped off. Somehow, your whole arm got in between the fan blades and got stuck in that position. You can visualize what happened next as the fan and your arm introduce themselves to one another.
Sponsored

Reactions: Cat