Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] E606D551-BADA-4B27-8718-0C50353BF28E
Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The highest mileage reported so far with a dropped a valve was 4500.

So in my head I have 5k as the magic number for basically all the gremlins. After checking all the known issues (like loose plugs, nuts, and wires, things rubbing on drive lines, etc), I think if I can make it to 5k, I'll be in the clear.
The highest mileage failure reported was 4,500mi, but it was reported only two days ago. There's no way you could extrapolate from 22 incidents listed here, the most recent of which being the highest mileage, that we have any idea if any mileage ceiling exists on these failures. Even worse, there hasn't been any conclusive evidence presented that shows the engines Ford is currently putting into vehicles in production aren't affected.

The vast majority of Broncos on the road are well under the 5,000 mile range I would imagine, given we're only just now hitting peak production. I would expect to see some 5,000-10,000mi failures in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So update for yah, blown engine. Cylinder #5. I am not a big car guy, so not sure what that means. They said internal failure. They are still diagnosing and will have a more formal update for me tomorrow.
For all the car guys on here, what else would need to be replaced? How bad is this?
For everyone else, what would you do in my situation? Take a replaced motor? Ask for a buyback and look for something new/different? Ask for an extended/extended warranty?
Also does anyone have a good # for Ford HQ customer service? I want to call them.
See if they can tell you if it was an intake or exhaust valve.

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

"Blown engine" doesn't give us much to go off of, unfortunately -- I would ask your service advisor for as much information on the failure as possible. If they're saying "blown engine" one can only assume there's enough damage to the piston, cylinder wall, head, etc. to warrant a full engine replacement.

ELI 16: engine "timing" refers to everything that has to do with keeping the various engine functions in sync with one another -- when the piston starts to move down to intake air, the intake valve needs to be open and gas needs to be injected; when the piston comes back up to compress that air and gas, the valves need to be closed; when the piston reaches the top of that compression stroke, the spark plug needs to fire; and so on. If these things get out of sync, bad things occur. Air/gas mixture can explode before the piston is in the right position, causing the engine to work against literal explosions in the cylinder (explosions are usually the winner in the long run). Valves can open at the wrong time, causing the piston to slam into the valves and destroy one another. If your engine failure is like the others noted here, it's likely that a valve in cylinder #5 inside your engine somehow got out of timing, or got disconnected entirely and "dropped" into the cylinder. This causes metal to crash into metal over and over again, instantly destroying your engine from the inside out. There's not much you could've done to avoid that.

ELI 5: imagine your pistons are big, sharp, metal industrial fans -- your fingers are the valves. You have superhuman speed, and while the fans are spinning you can put your fingers in between the blades and remove them before they get chopped off. Somehow, your whole arm got in between the fan blades and got stuck in that position. You can visualize what happened next as the fan and your arm introduce themselves to one another.
They will be giving me a more in depth analysis tomorrow. I’ll update once I have it.

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They will be giving me a more in depth analysis tomorrow. I’ll update once I have it.
Thanks for keeping us up to date! I can only imagine how much of a bummer it is to have a new car literally blow up like that, so thanks for being a team player and giving us all the info you can get. Fingers crossed you get a fresh, unaffected engine soon!

HenryFord

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks all for the detailed information on this topic

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New design Bronco 2.7 oil pan- requiring 7 quarts ?
Are oil starved cam phasers possible ?
This would be the clusterfuck of all clusterfucks if the wrong dipstick is causing engine failures... isn't 7qts the correct fill, confirmed by the engineers? But the dipstick is a 6qt dipstick?

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Should be able to run 1 qt low without issue, but new engines burn oil so if you start 1 qt low to begin with you could be 2 qts low or more by 3000 miles.

Sponsored

BroncoKing610

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.7L Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This would be the clusterfuck of all clusterfucks if the wrong dipstick is causing engine failures... isn't 7qts the correct fill, confirmed by the engineers? But the dipstick is a 6qt dipstick?
This has been confirmed weeks ago & in another thread that this isn’t causing the issue

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So update for yah, blown engine. Cylinder #5. I am not a big car guy, so not sure what that means. They said internal failure. They are still diagnosing and will have a more formal update for me tomorrow.
For all the car guys on here, what else would need to be replaced? How bad is this?
For everyone else, what would you do in my situation? Take a replaced motor? Ask for a buyback and look for something new/different? Ask for an extended/extended warranty?
Also does anyone have a good # for Ford HQ customer service? I want to call them.
If it was me, I wouldn't have a problem w/having an engine put in under warranty, but it would concern me that the replacement COULD have the same issue...we have one documented case of that. 2.7 uses an oil cooler. That and the associated hoses are going to be full of shrapnel and should be replaced. Still don't know if turbos are included on the line engine, if not I would want them replaced as well. Likely your dealership is going to do all that, but getting those parts causes delays. Dont know the law in your state but 30 days here qualifies you for lemon law. if you really want to pursue that, you will have to find out how it works there. Either way the vehicle is under warranty and the dealership can get the ball rolling. Seems cyl #5 has been the unlucky cylinder in a few other cases...cyl #6 I've seen also. Most didn't give alot of info...so can't say there's any pattern yet.

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If it was me, I wouldn't have a problem w/having an engine put in under warranty, but it would concern me that the replacement COULD have the same issue...we have one documented case of that. 2.7 uses an oil cooler. That and the associated hoses are going to be full of shrapnel and should be replaced. Still don't know if turbos are included on the line engine, if not I would want them replaced as well. Likely your dealership is going to do all that, but getting those parts causes delays. Dont know the law in your state but 30 days here qualifies you for lemon law. if you really want to pursue that, you will have to find out how it works there. Either way the vehicle is under warranty and the dealership can get the ball rolling. Seems cyl #5 has been the unlucky cylinder in a few other cases...cyl #6 I've seen also. Most didn't give alot of info...so can't say there's any pattern yet.
Yeah not much detail was given. TBH very little empathy from the dealership altogether. They were sort of pawning everything off to Ford Motor Co. at this point.
He did say they needed to replace the Large Block, again, not sure what that means. He also said that the Bronco 2.7 is built to open two valves while cruising??? Lastly he mentioned the spark plug was shattered off.
Engines are on back order across the country, so they are trying another way tomorrow to contact HQ.
It is 30 days here for the lemon law too… I am contacting Ford Motor Co tomorrow to see what I can figure out since dealer is sort of washing their hands of it.

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reactions: DEC