First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah not much detail was given. TBH very little empathy from the dealership altogether. They were sort of pawning everything off to Ford Motor Co. at this point.
He did say they needed to replace the Large Block, again, not sure what that means. He also said that the Bronco 2.7 is built to open two valves while cruising??? Lastly he mentioned the spark plug was shattered off.
Engines are on back order across the country, so they are trying another way tomorrow to contact HQ.
It is 30 days here for the lemon law too… I am contacting Ford Motor Co tomorrow to see what I can figure out since dealer is sort of washing their hands of it.
"Longblock" is probably what he said. Most reman engines are shipped as a "longblock" basically block w/internals, and complete cylinder heads installed. all other parts gotta be swapped over. Line engines used to come more complete than that...like w/oil pan, valve covers, intake and lotsa other goodies installed...or something in between. The dreaded BACKORDER! The whole automotive world is on backorder right now! That's the kiss of death in your situation!
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Been following this thread and not sure what to think. My motor was built on the same day as one of the 11 identified on the first page of this thread (21175). Hits a little close to home. But, of course, there were many engines built on that day and, apparently, not all of them have failed (that this forum knows of).

In any event, for me the whole point of purchasing the Bronco was to take it places that are REMOTE and that I couldn't get to in my previous vehicle. Now, I'm researching satellite phones... Not really the experience I'd hoped for.
Take a look at the Garmin Inreach.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/592606

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would take a new engine and the various components that could catch metal...turbos, oil cooler etc and an extended warranty. But it will take time, otherwise if you are not into waiting..your lemon law kicks in and they can keep it.

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Too bad the issue wasn't with the valve retainers or springs. Do those can be replaced somewhat easily without taking the heads off.

But it sounds like the consensus is the valves, even though we haven't seen a broken valve yet have we? I know there's pics of them being bent but that's expected with you drop in the cylinder.

It would suck to find out that something stupid like a spring or a retaining clip is the cause, again being that they can be easily replaced once you get the valve cover off.
Please look at the pic of the invoice I received from the dealership when I picked up my Bronco after engine was replaced. Mechanic stated pieces of the valve were in the intake manifold!
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] invoice 2

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a great story, but the explanation they gave you is completely untrue. Windsor built 4.6L and 5.4L engines had that issue for many model years. Romeoville engines did not. The heads were not warped...replacing heads, or milling them, would only fix the problem temporarily. After years of going round and round w/these it turned out that the milling machine at Windsor was putting a slight taper in the block's deck surface. The 2.7 Bronco failures DO kinda remind me of this, because of course 1997 was the 1st year for modular engines in trucks, and it was Windsor's 1st year producing them (Windsor was converted from 302/351 production which ended). Which is why I say it is completely possible that increasing 2.7L production to offer it in Bronco could have caused a bad batch to be produced...either through lack of QC, or increased demand forcing Ford to buy parts from less reliable sources etc. Either way, wouldn't be the 1st time. For those of you waiting for Ford to acknowledge a problem, and explain it...don't hold your breath...they won't do that, why should they? What good would that do? They will fix it though, hopefully they already have for current production, and are just trying to figure out how many bad ones got out, and fix those.
I didn't know that about windsor. But I cam confirm that the tech actually had a small chunk of it. You could see the grains of sand/material. So maybe that was an isolated incident or something from early production. Truck has been great other than that, 212k miles on it when I parked it. I have an 01 (5.4l) now that we use as the camper tow rig. Great truck for being 21 years old, 175k miles. I'm a die hard ford guy. I have spent 15 years in the automotive industry. They are all the same with quirks and whatnot. I just prefer the ford quirks.

Sponsored

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yeah not much detail was given. TBH very little empathy from the dealership altogether. They were sort of pawning everything off to Ford Motor Co. at this point.
He did say they needed to replace the Large Block, again, not sure what that means. He also said that the Bronco 2.7 is built to open two valves while cruising??? Lastly he mentioned the spark plug was shattered off.
Engines are on back order across the country, so they are trying another way tomorrow to contact HQ.
It is 30 days here for the lemon law too… I am contacting Ford Motor Co tomorrow to see what I can figure out since dealer is sort of washing their hands of it.
Damn that really sucks and sorry to hear of this for you. I see in your Avatar you have a 4Runner which I have owned many and just picked one up from Carvana. Hope things work out for you and they can get her back on the road sooner than later. And here is my Pro which no lie I purchased the exact same Pro 4 years ago only to turn around and buy a similar one again.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 4AA95BA8-251F-4FE9-A8FC-7589FF5EA818

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please look at the pic of the invoice I received from the dealership when I picked up my Bronco after engine was replaced. Mechanic stated pieces of the valve were in the intake manifold!
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 4AA95BA8-251F-4FE9-A8FC-7589FF5EA818
That's excellent info...and racing has taught me that that is EXACTLY what happens when an Intake valve is dropped at high rpm...remember the other cylinders are still running, and with no intake valve to stop it, debris gets sucked back into the intake, and redistributed to other cylinders. all happens in a millisecond...nothing you can do to stop it

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's excellent info...and racing has taught me that that is EXACTLY what happens when an Intake valve is dropped at high rpm...remember the other cylinders are still running, and with no intake valve to stop it, debris gets sucked back into the intake, and redistributed to other cylinders. all happens in a millisecond...nothing you can do to stop it
Great info, thank you! My fear is a tech missing something too…and then the problem just gets worse down the road.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great info, thank you! My fear is a tech missing something too…and then the problem just gets worse down the road.
Yeah, having a brand new engine in a brand new car destroy itself like that is going to be tough to forget about anytime soon -- even if the new engine is perfect and doesn't have any issues, your new car has still had a mechanic essentially gut it very early on. As far as engine replacements go, I would say it's much harder for them to mess up a longblock swap than something like, say, replacing a head gasket. They won't have to open the new engine up whatsoever once it arrives -- they'd just have to transfer over things like turbos, hoses, manifolds, etc. and replace any that caught debris from the failure.

Sorry for your headache, but if it's any consolation it looks like you're in good company of other folks with the same exact issue as you.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe you could ask nicely if they can tell if your failure is an intake valve as well? Not sure if the replacement engine will have an intake manifold on it, so he might have to pull it anyway, or may be able to see by borescope. Also if they wana show you the spark plug...take a pic for us. Alot of talk about leanout/detonation...but the spark plug wont lie about that!

Sponsored

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah, having a brand new engine in a brand new car destroy itself like that is going to be tough to forget about anytime soon -- even if the new engine is perfect and doesn't have any issues, your new car has still had a mechanic essentially gut it very early on. As far as engine replacements go, I would say it's much harder for them to mess up a longblock swap than something like, say, replacing a head gasket. They won't have to open the new engine up whatsoever once it arrives -- they'd just have to transfer over things like turbos, hoses, manifolds, etc. and replace any that caught debris from the failure.

Sorry for your headache, but if it's any consolation it looks like you're in good company of other folks with the same exact issue as you.
Thanks for the support, but to be honest the entire ordeal has left me with a pretty bitter Bronco taste. My biggest issue, besides the engine taking a crap, has been Ford customer service. At first, they were very sympathetic, understanding, and made promises to "make it right" and "take care of me". When I finally got the Bronco back, they pretty much ghosted me. I had to actually reach out to them to make sure they got the rental car receipts I sent them a week earlier and if they were in the process of reimbursing me. When I asked what they were going to do for me to "make it right", all she said they could do is give me three years of free limited maintenance (oil changes and tire rotations).

Personally, for all the crap I had to deal with and lose my essentially brand new vehicle for 6 1/2 weeks, I don't think they "took care of me" very well.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the support, but to be honest the entire ordeal has left me with a pretty bitter Bronco taste. My biggest issue, besides the engine taking a crap, has been Ford customer service. At first, they were very sympathetic, understanding, and made promises to "make it right" and "take care of me". When I finally got the Bronco back, they pretty much ghosted me. I had to actually reach out to them to make sure they got the rental car receipts I sent them a week earlier and if they were in the process of reimbursing me. When I asked what they were going to do for me to "make it right", all she said they could do is give me three years of free limited maintenance (oil changes and tire rotations).

Personally, for all the crap I had to deal with and lose my essentially brand new vehicle for 6 1/2 weeks, I don't think they "took care of me" very well.
Yeah, I know that feeling quite well -- I'm a Focus RS owner. Pretty much all of us had to bring in our RS's for the head gasket recall only a few thousand miles in. Ford wouldn't replace every engine; if your engine passed the compression test, they simply replaced your head gasket and sent you on your way. But months after starting the recall process, they updated the workshop instructions for that head gasket replacement. The original instructions called for the wrong sealant to be used on the timing chain cover, which starts leaking 10,000mi down the road. Not only that, but it's very easy for the service folks to cause damage to your turbo oil feed lines when doing both the head gasket and timing chain cover work. I've been chasing slow oil leaks for the last 20,000 miles.

It's not nearly as bad as a blown engine, but for what it's worth I've been bit by the same bug many many times.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Not being a smart ass at all but what did you hope you’d receive? This is a question coming from a fellow 2.7 order that could very well grenade in ‘22.

Obviously an engine that doesn’t explode is my first hope. But some type of extended warranty instead of free oil changed might be nice.

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not being a smart ass at all but what did you hope you’d receive? This is a question coming from a fellow 2.7 order that could very well grenade in ‘22.

Obviously an engine that doesn’t explode is my first hope. But some type of extended warranty instead of free oil changed might be nice.
At first they offered free extended warranty....I purchased that when I bought the Bronco. They then offered to make a month or two of payments, which is great.....but fortunately it's paid off. Three or four oil changes/tire rotations don't really equate to an extended warranty or couple months of payments. It's not really even the monetary value/comp that bothers me as much the lack of communications after I got the Bronco back. Over a week had went by when I emailed them the rental car receipts without any response. I had to initiate the phone call to make sure they got the receipts and confirm they were going to reimburse me.

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Keep the popcorn popping....I doubt this story is going away.

So....I wonder how many 2021 Broncos are sitting in customer driveways so far?
Some percentage - 60%/70% - will have the 2.7
Some percentage of that likely doesn't have 1,000 miles

And 18/19 blown engines only represents folks posting their issue on this forum. So, multiply that by 3x...5x...10x?
I doubt the percentage is over 50% since all manuals are 2.3. If you say 40% that’s 24,000 broncos with 2.7 built in 2021.so right the list would be one hundredth of a percent.
Sponsored