First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Damn wonder if anyone would be up for a motor inspection and just pay the bill. But if the motor shows unusual wear in the valve train then Ford should pay the bill. Just ideas.

broncomorrow

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

21118 here….sh$t. Currently at 2400 miles. Got a 13 day trip from Indy to Moab planned for the first week of April….overlanding, wheeling, etc….sh$t sh$t.

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

maybe since there are a couple active cases someone other than Ford can get their eyes on the engines? possible for you or for @TravisC91 ? might need to crowdsource some funding for some independent experts but I think there may be enough interested people here...
talked to a former colleague of mine who runs a company specializing in failure mode analysis. He was very adamant to not get independent inspection done before other steps were taken (I will start another post or DM me for details), otherwise the data would be discounted. If it were my engine today, I'd probably be standing on the floor at the dealer watching and taking pictures...good for you if you can pull cover and go hunting, but sounds like that may cost you the price of an engine ?

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn wonder if anyone would be up for a motor inspection and just pay the bill. But if the motor shows unusual wear in the valve train then Ford should pay the bill. Just ideas.
With a valve retainer issue, it might be tough to see...

Sponsored

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With a valve retainer issue, it might be tough to see...
was the retainer what was fingered by an anonymous employee? I saw some mentions, but were there more details than "bad batch" ever released?

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well said. 100 failures out of 100,000 is 99.9% success rate.
But 24 and counting, at least double for peeps not on the forum, out of (reported 12/17) 25,000 deliveries (where ARE they???) i
Do you know how we have discovered some of the slimeball dealers still manage to maintain high google reviews, why? because they hire third party marketing companies to monitor and "resolve" problem reviews.

Do you know how Bronco Notion maintains such high forum standards? because Ford hired Jackson Dawson, one of Ford's Marketing partners, to create and run it, along with the Off-Roadeo.

1642019807487.png
And I thought it was because they (BN) charge for membership. money for posts. Just like the no gas no squeegee commercials for Kia.

ffdemoss

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 F250, 2017 Fusion, 2014 Escape, 2005 LJ, 1968 M715
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

was the retainer what was fingered by an anonymous employee? I saw some mentions, but were there more details than "bad batch" ever released?
Not sure if we know that.

Theory, or at least mine based on what @flip said, is a valve retainer or stem is failing, dropping the entire valve into the cylinder and boom, it's over. That then causes timing chain failure and thus multiple cylinder valve failures on all cylinders on that bank. This could all appear as a timing chain failure.

Multiple references to bank 2/cylinder 5 may mean nothing but think about an engine going down an assembly line, if one part in one area was bad, I could see a repeatable failure in the same spot.

Intake valves are different between F150 and Bronco 2.7L...thats been documented. Narrows down the issue.

Unfortunately, it will happen to us, I think. I'm along for the ride in reality.

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

does anyone have a way to estimate (or know for certain) how many engines were produced in the date range in question? i.e. do our VINs have any chronological data encoded or any production reports/numbers we can get ahold of? The failure rate needs to be calculated in that date range, not at large.

Sponsored

BroncoDymond88

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Everything you say is wrong. There is no 10% of Bronco owners on this forum, there is no 20 000 broncos. This is not lower than normal engine failure.

The fact that 20 blew out of only Bronco6G users, who got their Bronco delivered, have enough miles on it for the issue to show, chose the 2.7 is just mind blowing and inacceptable.
so what numbers do we want to use? 50k broncos built last year, let’s be rediculous and say 20k are 2.7. If that’s the case

200 bad engines would be 1%

1,000 bad engines would be 5%.

we’re still far away from these numbers.

I’ll worry when we get closer to 10%

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

does anyone have a way to estimate (or know for certain) how many engines were produced in the date range in question? i.e. do our VINs have any chronological data encoded or any production reports/numbers we can get ahold of? The failure rate needs to be calculated in that date range, not at large.
@Tricky Dick possibly???

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure if we know that.

Theory, or at least mine based on what @flip said, is a valve retainer or stem is failing, dropping the entire valve into the cylinder and boom, it's over. That then causes timing chain failure and thus multiple cylinder valve failures on all cylinders on that bank. This could all appear as a timing chain failure.

Multiple references to bank 2/cylinder 5 may mean nothing but think about an engine going down an assembly line, if one part in one area was bad, I could see a repeatable failure in the same spot.

Intake valves are different between F150 and Bronco 2.7L...thats been documented. Narrows down the issue.

Unfortunately, it will happen to us, I think. I'm along for the ride in reality.
Thanks for the explanation. I think if I were in that range I'd personally get a lot more aggressive with it....I'm driving around either 1) with 2 little kids or 2) in the middle of nowhere (fishing)...so while I get that everything is warrantied it's at least an enormous hassle and at worse extremely dangerous. both issues already noted by many members - not really saying anything new. If I were a single guy I probably wouldn't give it much thought and just handle it if it took a dump. Just really don't want to see someone get hurt here. And to the extent this may extend into the all the 2.7s, I'm watching closely. Have to say I don't feel "good" being outside the range, though it seems like it's isolated and the bad batch story is consistent..hard to bank on that though.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ModifyMike

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F450
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

21216 here, starting to think maybe Fords aren’t for me 😂. The 2020 Ford Explorer ST that I had before my Bronco blew both of its turbos before it had 2000 miles and now I’m driving a ticking time bomb. I have a trip to Moab planned for May, do I drive the wheels off of it now so if mines going to let go maybe I’ll have it back in time. 1700 miles so far.

2C0BE9AA-7B4D-4081-BF7E-78710D62BC42.jpeg
Sponsored