First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it’s important to remember that most of the theories in this thread are blind guesses, or at most educated guesses based on very little information.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no Ford apologist or fanboy, and if my own engine needed a full replacement within the first year of ownership, on my first Ford vehicle, I’d sell it ASAP and never buy another Ford product.

Still, there’s a lot of alarmism in this thread. As laypeople without access to important details like fleetwide statistics & diagnostics, physical inspection of failed components, diagnostic logs, knowledge of supply chain etc… there’s only so much that can be deduced from the 30 or so data points that we have. But who has access to the information that is needed to actually figure out what’s going on? Ford.

Many of the conclusions that are being drawn in here so far aren’t much more than superstition. “Oh no, there was a failure from a date on which the moon was in the same phase as the date on which my engine was manufactured… I’m sure that means my engine is more likely to fail and I shouldn’t be daily driving it anymore!” I’m not faulting these conclusions too much, because as humans we try to find patterns in and reason with whatever information we have. But logical fallacies abound when we don’t apply enough discipline and allow panic or emotion or fear to affect our analysis.

ok, nah
Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only problem with this hypothesis is that it was based on a QA issue of the valve metallurgy. Now I am seeing that the problem is with a specific cylinder. Plus, of course most of the failures are around mid 2000 miles because most of the Broncos out there are probably around that range of mileage. SO, I think my post is full of it now.
Many variables I agree. Bathtub curve just a general product failure curve. Like others have repeated I think (hopefully) this will be a relatively low mileage failure. Then, I think we are good in terms of long term predictions. If we see failures with 5000-10000 miles, then we worry a bit more

Last edited:

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hmm, did I read this right? Is the valve failure always the same cylinder and position in that cylinder? If so, that would certainly change a lot of speculation about valve metallurgy.
It appears that way but that doesn't mean that will occur 100% of the time.

I think it’s important to remember that most of the theories in this thread are blind guesses, or at most educated guesses based on very little information.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no Ford apologist or fanboy, and if my own engine needed a full replacement within the first year of ownership, on my first Ford vehicle, I’d sell it ASAP and never buy another Ford product.

Still, there’s a lot of alarmism in this thread. As laypeople without access to important details like fleetwide statistics & diagnostics, physical inspection of failed components, diagnostic logs, knowledge of supply chain etc… there’s only so much that can be deduced from the 30 or so data points that we have. But who has access to the information that is needed to actually figure out what’s going on? Ford.

Many of the conclusions that are being drawn in here so far aren’t much more than superstition. “Oh no, there was a failure from a date on which the moon was in the same phase as the date on which my engine was manufactured… I’m sure that means my engine is more likely to fail and I shouldn’t be daily driving it anymore!” I’m not faulting these conclusions too much, because as humans we try to find patterns in and reason with whatever information we have. But logical fallacies abound when we don’t apply enough discipline and allow panic or emotion or fear to affect our analysis.
I think there is a narrowing field of possible causes. We know its likely a head/valvetrain issue. As opposed to a block, bottom end, tuning, etc etc.

I don't have a dog in the fight here since I have a 2.3L. I was just putting my 2 cents out as someone who read the thread and then came to a conclusion that could be slightly different. Just playing the part of an interweb CSI of these vehicular necropsies. I just wanted someone that ready my reply to know that I was not relaying any concrete information or take what I said as gospel.

Edit: hopefully someone will be able to post mortem a 2.7 so we can see the failure at some point.

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just looked up my engine and it’s listed as one of the blown ones????
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 49F574B8-7EF4-4A1E-9759-3C9672D51CE4

21281… so I’m assuming they have the wrong number.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just looked up my engine and it’s listed as one of the blown ones????
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 49F574B8-7EF4-4A1E-9759-3C9672D51CE4

21281… so I’m assuming they have the wrong number.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
That's just the year and day code of manufacture. So yours was built the same day as someone else's that blew.

Sponsored

Nybadlands22

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 badlands, 2013 Shelby, 1965 fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup. So then i went straight to the MAP Plant Manager, where they responded last week, passed the info and photos around, thanked me, and said they will follow up.
For those of us out of the loop, what was your issue?

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So has anyone had experience w/the buyback program with Ford? how does it differ from a Lemon Law?
This info is quite old as I quit the dealer in 2004, but, Ford, and your dealer MAY be willing to buyback your ride, and/or trade you into something else rather than go through lemon law. It happens, sometimes it works out for both parties. Lemon law is a legal action where everybody loses (but the lawyers), so best to settle if a vehicle has reached lemon law thresholds

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Is the data pure guesses? No.
Agreed; the data itself that has been collected is mostly "hard." It's the conclusions that are little more than tarot card readings at this point, because we simply don't have access to enough data or enough failures to be able to test the hypotheses against the data.

Let's look at the mileage correlation that many seem to be taking as gospel: wow, most of the failures have occurred at <2500 miles on the odometer. Seems like a very strong correlation, right? Except we don't have access to a fleet-wide mileage breakdown. What if 90% of all Broncos have <2500 miles on the odometer? Suddenly this correlation could become nearly meaningless. And this isn't a far-fetched possibility, given how new the vehicle is and how many months of production sat on dirt mountain for so long.

Anything concluded from it is a guesstimate.
Agreed.

I don't deny that being an Internet sleuth is fun and interesting; look at all those groups dedicated to solving cold cases online or all the people obsessed with true crime podcasts.

Only Failures in the Engine, now streaming on Spotify

Broncoshrimp

Badlands
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe there was one case where the replacement motor blew too. But only one known so far.
Ughhhhhhhhhh, this just triggered me. I have almost 2,000 miles on my new 2.7L, the first one dropped around 2,400 miles.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1642706972436

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I always find funny about this forum. People don't realize that only what...5-10% of the total Bronco owners are even on this forum? And even more importantly so, active enough to make a public post to go over their 2.7L issues. People are quick to say "these forums make small issues seem big". IMO, it's quite the opposite really. We have a list of 19 Broncos just on THIS forum with the same issue. As you said, multiply that now by 10x-20x and that would be an accurate number of how many Bronco's this is truly affecting.
Throwing numbers around is futile and anecdotal at best. None of us (except @Ford Motor Company) has any way of knowing the true percentage.

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond