First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had mentioned this earlier, that this is a material (alloy) problem and/or a valve design problem. They probably changed the specification of the alloy and increased the strength of the underhead and valve head area.

I seriously doubt it's an engine management problem, this would lead more to burned valves than broken valves.
If it was a tuning/ecu issue I'd expect to see the spark plug straps and electrodes utterly melted. The ones that have been floating around here looks like the electrodes were battered but not melted. Which leads me to believe a valve issue. It's not hard to imagine a bad valve with a crack in the stem failing
Sponsored

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4 engines…at what point do you buy a Jeep lol
A Jeep would never ever be a consideration for Drew. He is the only one that I know that has a semi-truck serve as his tow pig for his Broncos when he goes wheeling. At some point, he'll have to get a double-deck carrier to accommodate his Broncitis.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Valves designed on the edge of reliability without wide enough manufacturing tolerances. If your valves were made within tolerances, you're probably fine, but if they drifted out of the narrow tolerances, they will fail.

By changing the material and design they increased the manufacturing tolerances so that the valves made now will have a lower failure rate.

geoking

Outer Banks
First Name
george
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 , 2020 F150, 1934, 1948, 1958 , 1966
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Valves designed on the edge of reliability without wide enough manufacturing tolerances. If your valves were made within tolerances, you're probably fine, but if they drifted out of the narrow tolerances, they will fail.

By changing the material and design they increased the manufacturing tolerances so that the valves made now will have a lower failure rate.
Tim,
All we need to know is WHEN were the changes implemented ? .....and when did heads with the higher reliability valves make it into new build engines? My first bronco is due to be built next week. I don't want the old valves....smile.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think a lot of us could live with this explanation if we knew the failure rate on the delivered vehicles.

Sponsored

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Remember, it is what it is, don't live in fear, drive it like ya stole it, it's under warranty, ya'll a bunch of fishwives,
and I aint no fanboy!

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
A Jeep would never ever be a consideration for Drew. He is the only one that I know that has a semi-truck serve as his tow pig for his Broncos when he goes wheeling. At some point, he'll have to get a double-deck carrier to accommodate his Broncitis.
He must be driving the shit out of them with zero break in then. There's a better chance of winning the lottery than blowing 3 engines in a row that have a (very roughly) 0.5% failure rate.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remember, it is what it is, don't live in fear, drive it like ya stole it, it's under warranty, ya'll a bunch of fishwives,
and I aint no fanboy!
I feel that.

However, this is an “adventure vehicle” designed and heavily marketed (“Built Wild”) to be something that takes you deep into the wilderness. How much would it cost to have one of these towed from the middle of black bear pass?

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think a lot of us could live with this explanation if we knew the failure rate on the delivered vehicles.
I understand.
The failure rate isn't 100%, so there is no way to know how well you can or can't sleep at night. I suspect once the engine is cycled past it's failure range the surviving engines will be okay.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand.
The failure rate isn't 100%, so there is no way to know how well you can or can't sleep at night. I suspect once the engine is cycled past it's failure range the surviving engines will be okay.
Are you speculating about this manufacturing tolerance or do you have some inside info?

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel that.

However, this is an “adventure vehicle” designed and heavily marketed (“Built Wild”) to be something that takes you deep into the wilderness. How much would it cost to have one of these towed from the middle of black bear pass?
Let's hope this is cleared up before someone goes full Donner Party in the wilderness.

Yodi

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I still think that if you want to get Fords attention, the people that have blown engines need to report to the NHTSA as a safety issue. I also think it is just a matter of time till this causes a serious wreck. Going down the highway at 70 and you find yourself without power brakes or steering is a bad thing!

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still think that if you want to get Fords attention, the people that have blown engines need to report to the NHTSA as a safety issue. I also think it is just a matter of time till this causes a serious wreck. Going down the highway at 70 and you find yourself without power brakes or steering is a bad thing!
You lose brakes and steering when this happens?
Sponsored