62chad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine was built and delivered in October. 4200 miles no issues...Besides me making up noises in my head from the paranoia this forum creates. Every time I feel a rattle or smell something funny I panic..thanks 6g.
Knock on wood I've hit 70 in a sand filled river bed in baja mode, gone rock crawling twice. Drive up huge grade every day from work. No issues
Sponsored

TNSasquatch

Base
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a loaner. P.O.S. Jeep gladiator
Atleast glad they gave you a vehicle. I would blow my top if it was weeks later and they gave me no ride. Ehh. Then again I'd probably be aggravated and down trodden anyway though..

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, now over 5500 miles, been running nearly exclusively in sport mode with 93 octane... I have another 350 miles to log today, but I plan on switching down to 87 and normal mode. Just to see if that's a factor (1000-1500) miles of "normal" mode (of course, it could be coincidence if it shells out).

tedweb

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, KIA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford has learned this lesson. As soon as they announce something publicly the whole world is gonna pile on...threaten lawsuits over frivolous stuff, demand free stuff, say stupid things to the press, etc. Nobody is gonna die w/a 2.7 intake valve impaled in thier forehead. Cars break down on roads everyday, and have since they had horses. Drive safe, and relax! Ford is better off not saying anything until all the facts are in and they have a plan. Even then, there's likely NO good reason to notify ANYBODY other than the units they know are in question (M program). We are gathering data here because it is of public interest. Let's try to be objective, and responsible?

im-relaxed.gif
Driving up I-75/85 through Atlanta can be dangerous enough in a reliable vehicle. Not saying the new Broncos aren’t reliable… but it’s getting to the point where loading my wife and three kids in it to visit family would be considered irresponsible on my part. It appears Ford it’s making the conscious decision to turn a blind eye towards those who have been loyal to this brand.

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just was digging wondering if this was a major issue. 39,600 engines based on 72% of broncos being built with 2.7 . 31 known Issues equals 0.00078. Interestingly I came across this article, even though it’s old it can still be a guide.

According to a recent study in the UK, Audi and MINI are among the automakers with the most engine failures.

In a poll conducted by Warranty Direct , the company studied its claims data to compile the study, with Honda, Toyota, and Mercedes-Benz topping the lists of automakers with the most reliable engines. Honda had an engine failure of 0.29 percent, while Toyota came in second with 0.58 percent. Mercedes had one engine failure for every 119 engines, a failure rate of 0.84 percent.

For now rest easy. Ford .00078 failure is 1 every 1,277 engines.
That works out great if every 2.7 Bronco owner is a member here and posts on the board.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving up I-75/85 through Atlanta can be dangerous enough in a reliable vehicle. Not saying the new Broncos aren’t reliable… but it’s getting to the point where loading my wife and three kids in it to visit family would be considered irresponsible on my part. It appears Ford it’s making the conscious decision to turn a blind eye towards those who have been loyal to this brand.
"blind eye" and "silent mouth" are 2 very different things. I think we have also shown evidence in this thread that Ford IS working on this.

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

in OP, the graphs are updated w latest info -
- new format Julian Date histogram

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] hist - 2.7L Engine Stats - 2022.Jan.23

Last edited:

faziorf

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR OBX AMB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Starting to see Complaints entered on the NHTSA site. I do think this is a good path that everyone that experienced a failure should do - log a complaint

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/FORD/BRONCO/2%2520DR/4WD#complaints
Agreed. Maybe @Lucchese could add a link to these also on the first page of this thread. Thanks again @Lucchese for all of your efforts in trying to gather and sort through this data! I did send another email to the plant because I found the information in the newsletter after I sent the first one. So I included that obvious admission on their part in the second email. I also emailed the "Ford Authority" newsletter about this as a suggestion for an article/investigation for them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Oden502

Wildtrak
First Name
Khalid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I fully agree! Even though Ford is not speaking publicly about this subject, we know from the Lima plant newsletter that they have been working on the problem for a while, and we know damn well that they are watching this thread. It’s no great surprise that posts about 2.7L engine failures on the Bronco Nation forum (owned by Ford’s external marketing firm, Jackson Dawson Communications) have disappeared, but posts about the same problems here on the Bronco6G forum (which is NOT affiliated with Ford) have remained.

Please bear with me as I rant a little here, because I need to get this out of my system…

[rant]
As a 2.7L owner, like many of you, I have a vested interest in this issue, and I believe @Lucchese is doing a great job with the important but time-consuming and often thankless tasks of documenting these engine failures, following up with the owners, and updating this thread. For all of his efforts, he deserves a round of genuine applause. đź‘Ź
I want these problems fixed as much as the rest of you, so I want @Lucchese’s work here to be successful. That’s why I think posts made in this thread should be a little more serious than in some of the other threads on the forum. Trolling posts made by the different factions here — Chicken Littles, badge/T-shirt makers, wild-eyed conspiracy theorists, Ford bashers, and Ford apologists — aren’t really helping @Lucchese’s cause, which is to get to the root of the problem and affect real change. The ultimate goal here is to improve the reliability and safety of the 2.7L Bronco engines for the benefit of all current and future owners.​
I think most people here want Ford and the media who are monitoring this forum to take this problem seriously. Let’s not give them an easy excuse to simply dismiss this thread as another bunch of “trolling rabble-rousers” who are “just trying to stir up trouble”.​
[/rant]

OK, thanks for listening. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Agreed.

DrBriGuy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I fully agree! Even though Ford is not speaking publicly about this subject, we know from the Lima plant newsletter that they have been working on the problem for a while, and we know damn well that they are watching this thread. It’s no great surprise that posts about 2.7L engine failures on the Bronco Nation forum (owned by Ford’s external marketing firm, Jackson Dawson Communications) have disappeared, but posts about the same problems here on the Bronco6G forum (which is NOT affiliated with Ford) have remained.

Please bear with me as I rant a little here, because I need to get this out of my system…

[rant]
As a 2.7L owner, like many of you, I have a vested interest in this issue, and I believe @Lucchese is doing a great job with the important but time-consuming and often thankless tasks of documenting these engine failures, following up with the owners, and updating this thread. For all of his efforts, he deserves a round of genuine applause. đź‘Ź
I want these problems fixed as much as the rest of you, so I want @Lucchese’s work here to be successful. That’s why I think posts made in this thread should be a little more serious than in some of the other threads on the forum. Trolling posts made by the different factions here — Chicken Littles, badge/T-shirt makers, wild-eyed conspiracy theorists, Ford bashers, and Ford apologists — aren’t really helping @Lucchese’s cause, which is to get to the root of the problem and affect real change. The ultimate goal here is to improve the reliability and safety of the 2.7L Bronco engines for the benefit of all current and future owners.​
I think most people here want Ford and the media who are monitoring this forum to take this problem seriously. Let’s not give them an easy excuse to simply dismiss this thread as another bunch of “trolling rabble-rousers” who are “just trying to stir up trouble”.​
[/rant]

OK, thanks for listening. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Nice post. I think people are processing all of this differently (humor, anger, disbelief, fear, seeking more info) and that's expected. I'm finding the discussion between the data interesting as I try to figure out what I want to do myself.

To your last point, very good one, and that's why it's hard to pin down for most of us "what should Ford say?" as I was asked in response to an earlier comment. I don't have a great answer for that; still a bit early to expect any broad disclosures and recall talk. But at minimum it would be nice if they would ensure people experiencing vehicle failures are fully taken care of quickly with accommodations with another vehicle and repair lead times. "Sorry, we're working on it, we'll go over the top to take care of you if you experience a failure" would go a long way with me and I suspect many others here. Just some consistency from corporate instead of the variable approach we're seeing through the dealers would say a lot. And for this crowd, who all waited so long and is so invested in the product, I don't think that's an unfair ask at present moment. But I understand the perspective of folks that would say that response wouldn't be meaningful to them.

With respect to what they should say about their approach to the technical issues, that's a tough one. My earlier point was only to say if they don't appear to be doing the right things and communicating something, it's in our interest as consumers to do it to protect ourselves (stirring up trouble in the right way - my opinion). I moved to that perspective considering the revelation here that some things are already publicly acknowledged.

I agree with your point about perception as troublemakers vs. concerned/upset customers - we want to be effective when we choose to reach out - and I'm just assuming decision makers at Ford are not watching our thread closely (maybe wrong). I'm still on the fence about when a more aggressive approach is warranted and hoping we can get more insight from data and from Ford at some point soon. Tempering my expectations though.

One thought I have been considering is can we offer to be helpful in troubleshooting, i.e. crowdsourced vehicle data(?) but it doesn't seem like there's much we could track as a group that would be helpful. But we could offer.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That works out great if every 2.7 Bronco owner is a member here and posts on the board.
I’m sure it will be in the news if more, or a recall. Just wanted to give a little piece of mind to the other 39,569 folks that may be driving one. I’m just saying if it goes above those numbers most likely there is a major issue for sure. Right now it’s more or less normal failure rates. We will find out in due time. At least they are under warranty.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m sure it will be in the news if more, or a recall. Just wanted to give a little piece of mind to the other 39,569 folks that may be driving one. I’m just saying if it goes above those numbers most likely there is a major issue for sure. Right now it’s more or less normal failure rates. We will find out in due time. At least they are under warranty.
They are under warranty, too bad Ford doesn't know if the replacement engines have problems, and the repairs may take months.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They are under warranty, too bad Ford doesn't know if the replacement engines have problems, and the repairs may take months.
Let’s hope not!!
Sponsored