Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So lovely to not see any updated engine failures as of late on this thread!
It's because nobody's getting their Broncos. The supposed deadline was just a few days ago to clear out the 2021.. I doubt they made that, but there's still hundreds of Broncos with possible bad engines on their way.
Sponsored

ATLUTDFAN

First Edition
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I am driving mine again, but no real serious miles at this point since I work from home. At 2477 miles on the engine.

21215 -I am in the gap between the spikes and a few days ahead of the second spike.

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

21 days!​

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4000 miles on my 2021 day 319. Knock wood motor feels very strong and is a pleasure to drive.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Besides the bad batch is there any other significant engine failures to report?

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2/11 Update: Its official, the motor is blown. Service Writer called me this morning, a long block is on (back) order, estimated in house here in Knoxville at the end of Feb. He has only gone as far into diagnostics as required by Ford to warranty the motor. Given how swamped they are I don't expect an autopsy report, or specific details on valves, cylinder info, etc except what may be required by Ford to cover repairs. If they provide me more info I'll share here. I will file with the NHTSA today. https://www.nhtsa.gov/

Original post 2/6/22: So mine died today at 6620 miles (corrected today). Blend date was 9/7, Motor Julian is 21209.

Failure mode: 65 MPH getting ready to exit the highway. A minor surge, then the motor shut off. No loud noises or anything. No warning lights prior to the shut off. Coasted into a gas station. It will crank but not start. The coolant reservoir is empty, and it smoked like hell out the exhaust for 10 min after I parked it. Acts like a sudden head gasket failure, but looks very similar to what I'm reading about here.

Oil level was good, no foam or shiny bits on the dipstick. No puddles or external leakage from sitting overnight.

Pic of the Motor info: (July 28th build date, right in the middle of the suspect range from Post 1 in this thread)
motor info.jpg

Update 1: 2/7/22: The dealer I bought it from informed me this morning (quite rudely) that it would be "late March" before we can look at it if you tow it here". That's going to be a conversation with the Manager later today.

Another local dealer had availability and will hopefully provide info on the initial diagnostic today. They've been great to communicate with so far, but since I didn't buy there I'm worried my priority will be lower to them.

The pic below is with it not running, just post failure. It looks like it sent the coolant into the exhaust and this is it flashing off. There was residual coolant all over the muffler, tailpipe, and bumper aggresivly smoking. I was afraid it was on fire until I confirmed it was all coming off the exhaust internally.
0F109FFC-317A-4935-9B54-8F5489918BAE.jpeg
Good news boys, Bronco is back in action! Almost 2 months to the day. I’d forgotten how glorious it was to drive, so happy right now.

Here‘s the new motor sticker. They did a great job, you'd never know the motor has been out. Also no new noises, smells, behaviors, or puddles.

I will replace the zip tie I had keeping that small coolant hose away from the pulley but otherwise it looks great. Also kept all previous driver settings and Forscan changes.

I’ll update Tulsa Jon’s thread once I conclude negotiations with Ford

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 99D49F50-9260-443C-8E38-D354C048936C

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I will replace the zip tie I had keeping that small coolant hose away from the pulley ....

So the pulley is still an issue? I thought Ford fix that with a plastic retainer clip or something?

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So the pulley is still an issue? I thought Ford fix that with a plastic retainer clip or something?
My AB engine came with a fancy ziptie clip thingy :p

blanchardsbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good news boys, Bronco is back in action! Almost 2 months to the day. I’d forgotten how glorious it was to drive, so happy right now.

Here‘s the new motor sticker. They did a great job, you'd never know the motor has been out. Also no new noises, smells, behaviors, or puddles.

I will replace the zip tie I had keeping that small coolant hose away from the pulley but otherwise it looks great. Also kept all previous driver settings and Forscan changes.

I’ll update Tulsa Jon’s thread once I conclude negotiations with Ford

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 99D49F50-9260-443C-8E38-D354C048936C
mine was born 10 days after yours was.........

Sponsored

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There was a new plastic retainer clip that helps anchor the hose away from the pulley. However, I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy, so I'll take the 2 mins to further restrain the movement of that one little hose.

Last edited:

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That is great news!

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Seems like it's been a while since we have heard any motors going south, maybe we can all finally rest easy.
Sponsored