First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I suspect your engine has already blown up since you are missing one of your cylinders ;) , if yours is still running you have a 2.7L. Yes, the parts and pieces are different from the F-150 2.7L, listed below.
Oops- yeah, I still have the 5L my vette had stuck in my head.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My service tech "said" the engine performs differently...
A subjective term is difficult to analyze, different than a F-150 or different that another Bronco 2.7?

The are no warning signs if your 2.7 is going to grenade, so nothing he says really has any merit to that end.

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A subjective term is difficult to analyze, different than a F-150 or different that another Bronco 2.7?

The are no warning signs if your 2.7 is going to grenade, so nothing he says really has any merit to that end.
so he mentioned it was different than the F-150. something on the lines of two valves opening at once whether you are cruising or accelerating....

cashgolfer44

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You should go pay it a visit in the showroom and get a pic of the build number/assembly date sticker on the engine.
Already did, mine is within the same time frame and engine #'s as the known bad engines already.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Yodi

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wonder if it could have something to do with the variable valve timing?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
so he mentioned it was different than the F-150. something on the lines of two valves opening at once whether you are cruising or accelerating....
courtesy ALLDATA:

Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT)
The twin independent VCT system allows variable control of the valves which optimizes combustion at full load providing improved power and low speed torque (broadening the torque curve) which enables variable valve overlap which provides better fuel economy and emissions and provides optimized cold start operation with improved exhaust emissions.

He was probably talking about valve "overlap"...Don't think they are capable of overlapping the piston at TDC tho...only a jumped timing chain can do that (or a valve not attached to the valve spring anymore)

TravisC91

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've attached a picture of the sticker from my Bronco. Let me know if this is correct. Again, build date August 9. Also attached a picture of some other info mechanic gave me.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 20220118_172154
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 20220118_180108

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've attached a picture of the sticker from my Bronco. Let me know if this is correct. Again, build date August 9. Also attached a picture of some other info mechanic gave me.
20220118_172154.jpg
20220118_180108.jpg
You’re at the end of the first batch of failures, or the beginning of the start of a gap between the next series of failures. 179 is your Julian date. 21179

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] A0B7B322-6BA3-42E5-A6C8-DC76F5A1A44E

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They still will, it is not enough engine for the Bronco long term. Being lucky that Ford didn't build it like crap is luck, but it still is lacking.
Absolutely hated the 2.3 in the Bronco. Never tested it in the Ranger but I almost canceled my order after an extended 24 hr. test drive in the 2.3 BD my dealer. It felt, drove and sounded like a rental Nissan sentra or something. The 2.7 is amazing if it doesn't blow up!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If this happens to us, should we be concerned about having them replace more than just the engine? How can we rest easy knowing that metal pieces didn’t make their way into other parts of the vehicle that will cause damage later?
If it does happen, they are going to have to replace more than just the engine, and trust me, they will replace everything that could be contaminated with metal shaving and is not capable of being cleaned by hand to ensure that they don't kill two motors. Everything else will go back to Ford or be scrapped (like turbos, oil heat exchangers, manifolds, etc).

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If this were like the issues that GM has been having for the last 3+ years with their Dynamic Fuel Management system bending pushrods and collapsing lifters at an alarming rate, than yes we should be worried. I've seen DOZENS and DOZENS of videos of GM shops with 5-10 newer SUV's with less than 5k miles sitting on their lots waiting to be fitted with new parts, and the forums are full of them. This Tahoe forum alone has 4 pages of threads that come up when you search 'lifter issue'. Not to mention the fact GMs fix isn't even guaranteed to fix the issue long term.
My father's brand new duramax broke a pushrod, probably the same overarching issue. Dealer told him that GM was aware of the problem and they have newly designed pushrods that fix the problem. Except, GM only shells out for one bank replacement, not both. They knew the pushrods were bad, to the point where they had different parts to remedy the failure, but were going to charge $4K to install the other bank of suspect pushrods. They also said that had it bent a pushrod instead of breaking one, the entire engine would be replaced no charge.

Anecdotally speaking, brand new vehicle failures seem to be cropping up with more regularity than they used to. Seems like you pay more than just money to have the latest and greatest vehicles, and you get entered in an exciting lottery free of charge. It's all a conspiracy to make us embrace electric gokarts as our future instead of real vehicles that burn dinosaurs.
Sponsored