Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still don't understand comments like these. What is it specifically you want Ford to say?
Some transparency on the issue. A TSB describing the root cause, alluding to the failure rate, build dates affected, etc.

With all of the data we have saying otherwise, maybe this really is a tiny chance of each of us being affected.

Bottom line is this is a safety issue. This isnā€™t waffling patterns or rough edges on the MIC top. Why were they all over that and not this? Because stuff like this is really bad for their reputation. People donā€™t mess with safety issues.

So, whether we are overreacting or this really is as bad as it seems, have some honesty and transparency and allow us to feel safe driving this vehicle that we love.
Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really need to see it with the heads off. That'll be the beauty shot.

hffigcgnosk61.jpg
Now this is exactly what I would expect from a failed valve. Right in the middle cylinder as well. I can make out an imprint of the valve in the cylinder head at 3 o'clock.

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

. . but I bet some of these failures have been seen in a controlled lab setting (engine testing) , which actually may have been alluded to by the technician at the Lima plant . .
- definitely - a few months ago there was a post - talking about Ford's lab testing the 2.7's, he said "they keep blowing them up on the dyno, but can't figure out why" - or similar to this
- wish I'd bookmarked it
- maybe in @estone28 repair thread

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
one failure analysis article, detailed pictures included, would be absolutely brutal. with the power of the ol' interweb, probably wouldn't even need to be hosted by a prominent source. certified 3rd party lab and one respected independent reviewer = ouch
The "insiders" must have heard about these failures, Ford stock is down 20% this week.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Now this is exactly what I would expect from a failed valve. Right in the middle cylinder as well. I can make out an imprint of the valve in the cylinder head at 3 o'clock.
This is quite common for a broken valve. I had one sitting on my desk where the valve was stuck so tight nobody could remove it from the piston.

Next favorite flavor is surface of the moon.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] MBDnSoH

Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Whatā€™s the latest engine build date on a blown 2.7 so far. Are us nov engine build date people safe

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here is a pic of
My engine sticker was it built in November

DA8A9218-81A8-4BC8-93A9-D4324511919F.jpeg

fltechpilot

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Audi S3 1984 Porsche 928S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Whatā€™s the latest engine build date on a blown 2.7 so far. Are us nov engine build date people safe
I believe October 8th is the latest at this point. Not sure if anyone is "safe" yet.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is a pic of
My engine sticker was it built in November

DA8A9218-81A8-4BC8-93A9-D4324511919F.jpeg
I hope so Because I have the same Julian date! I guess they made at least 34 2.7 on that Monday.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 17C9F57C-8BA4-49DB-9751-4BB6AE9CC58F

Last edited:

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hope so Because I have the same Julian date!

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 17C9F57C-8BA4-49DB-9751-4BB6AE9CC58F
I almost got 600 miles on mine and itā€™s been great so far I been running 93 octane in it this is the first engine I seen were it has 2 different rated horsepower numbers depending on the fuel I wonder if this has something to do with the engines blowing it pisses me off that ford donā€™t come out and make a statement those twat waffles

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I almost got 600 miles on mine and itā€™s been great so far I been running 93 octane in it this is the first engine I seen were it has 2 different rated horsepower numbers depending on the fuel I wonder if this has something to do with the engines blowing it pisses me off that ford donā€™t come out and make a statement those twat waffles
I have been running 91 or higher in the Canadian Rockies. And breaking it in with a combination of onpurpose varied highway speeds, short trips around town, and some extended cold weather warm ups. I pity the owner who has a blown engine with sub 87 octane gas in the tank.

Yodi

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The only cars I have owned are Fords, My Dad, my Wife, my sister, and a lot of my friends have Fords. With that being said, I would have to be nuts not to be concerned. I've seen many new engines released and the nearest thing to this I've seen is the engine in the new edge Mustang was under powered and Ford replaced the heads with a PI version. I really don't want to be stuck in the cold ass mountains with a blown engine, so I really hope there is some kind of resolution .

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been running 91 or higher in the Canadian Rockies. And breaking it in with a combination of onpurpose varied highway speeds, short trips around town, and some extended cold weather warm ups. I pity the owner who has a blown engine with sub 87 octane gas in the tank.
This is def a safety issue just make sure you keep supplies in the bronco god for bid you break down in this freezing cold weā€™re having

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope so Because I have the same Julian date! I guess they made at least 34 2.7 on that Monday.

Mine too
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 603D8853-9C9C-4EF6-9006-04B2150ABB1B

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unlikely, it is either a supplier quality issue or a machining/assembly issue. I doubt we can do much to save the unfortunate few with octane or oil changes.
Sponsored