First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is def a safety issue just make sure you keep supplies in the bronco god for bid you break down in this freezing cold we’re having
That is a good point. 👍. I will do that right now. Much appreciated @Bronco21fan!
Sponsored

mmmeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don’t think you can assume it is burning/losing coolant if you don’t know if it ever had a full level of coolant present. I don’t want to point at the mechanics who are doing PDI’s as missing fluid levels. But their excuse will be that they are too busy, or forgot. Each car we buy should come with a PDI inspection checklist, that the mechanic and service manager sign off on. Just saying.
Oh for sure. I'm going to top it off to MAX today and I'm taking about a 1400mi trip over the weekend. By Tuesday, I should be at 2k mi and approaching the danger zone. Engine code is 21324.

I'll be sure to report back in a new thread next week and we'll see if it eats any coolant or not. Definitely hoping it was just a little underfilled or burped out some more air after the first few hundred miles.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I got nothing. I can say the parts system is showing the below as of 1/17/22. Don't know if the units they're shipping are the redesign but the heads have changed part numbers. It doesn't say why the # changed and could be a redesign or could be just different supplier. Ford has likely figured out what the problem is and trying to fix it. IF this is the case I don't know what implications are for other 2.7 owners or future failures. I hate this for customers and Ford. Any time you tweak a design and farm it out to a different supplier you run the risk of issues by not having control like if you were doing in house. The hope is they acknowledge the problem and come out with a program for affected vehicles in the form of warranty extension or targeted part replacement.

Pending engineering change
3 expected to arrive at packager
5 pieces in transit for distribution
8 pieces to be shipped from packager
FCSD is working on part availability
A "redesign" could be something as simple as the coating or supplier of a valve spring or keeper. Not trying to guess the cause as it seems that few if any of the effected 2.7's have been tore down by the dealers. More info from Ford would be nice but I have seen similar from Deere. One time they were having trouble with cranks breaking. Once they figured out the cause, they recalled all of the machines that may have bad cranks and had the dealers replace them. I can't believe that engine internals would be different between Bronco and F150 but they may be assembled on dedicated lines for each. That MAY (but maybe not) explain why Broncos are having problems but not F150's. It could be a small part that is failing that is causing the catastrophic failures but if could be hard to pin down to batch or supplier and which engine received them and which didn't. My 2.7 is 21169 date code so it could be a bad one. With 1300 miles so far it is fine but I'm not holding my breath but am being hopeful.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh for sure. I'm going to top it off to MAX today and I'm taking about a 1400mi trip over the weekend.
Just a reminder that it its supposed to read between the min and max lines when cold. (not at the max line).

Yodi

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Am I crazy or is Bronco6G the only place this info is available and no major outlets are carrying the story?
I have looked everywhere, other than here and a few YouTube vids its all I've found

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have looked everywhere, other than here and a few YouTube vids its all I've found
I don’t think 31 engines gone wild is a story. It is a concern for Bronco owners. I am sure there are other launch vehicles with 1st year issues that we have never heard about and never will. It sucks for owners who had their baby blow up, but with any luck, this will be a faded memory a year from now. And especially when/if we ever decide to sell.

Sponsored

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If only 10% of Bronco owners are on this forum, then maybe the total number of blown 2.7 engines is 200 instead of 20.
200 out of 20,000 means Ford would do absolutely nothing, that's lower than the normal % of new vehicle engine failures.
I think it’s less than 10% of bronco owners on this forum. Engines failing on highway/expressways are not teething problems……………

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it’s less than 10% of bronco owners on this forum. Engines failing on highway/expressways are not teething problems……………
I think we agree it's a safety issue. But it isn't a large enough number of failures for Ford to give a crap and do anything like a recall, TSB etc.
They know what costs them money more in the long term, national news of a massive recall vs. some guys on a forum collecting data.

IMO we'll be posting engine numbers here for months until the numbers get large enough that Ford can't hide anymore. Maybe we can speed things up though... right @MikeLevine ?

Last edited:

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I almost got 600 miles on mine and it’s been great so far I been running 93 octane in it this is the first engine I seen were it has 2 different rated horsepower numbers depending on the fuel I wonder if this has something to do with the engines blowing it pisses me off that ford don’t come out and make a statement those twat waffles
It actually has 3 ratings. 87/89-91/93. But they are lately only publishing 2. Wonder what it might do on Sunoco 95 or race gas.

The ecm takes full advantage of sensors, mostly the knock ones, to change timing and injection faster than you can say "wow," thus being able to directly affect power as you drive. Used to be we would manually advance timing as far as possible from factory spec to the point of point float (ancient distributors and carburetors) Factory spec of advance BTDC and jet orifice were all a compromise

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just was digging wondering if this was a major issue. 39,600 engines based on 72% of broncos being built with 2.7 . 31 known Issues equals 0.00078. Interestingly I came across this article, even though it’s old it can still be a guide.

According to a recent study in the UK, Audi and MINI are among the automakers with the most engine failures.

In a poll conducted by Warranty Direct , the company studied its claims data to compile the study, with Honda, Toyota, and Mercedes-Benz topping the lists of automakers with the most reliable engines. Honda had an engine failure of 0.29 percent, while Toyota came in second with 0.58 percent. Mercedes had one engine failure for every 119 engines, a failure rate of 0.84 percent.

For now rest easy. Ford .00078 failure is 1 every 1,277 engines.

Last edited:

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just was digging wondering if this was a major issue. 39,600 engines based on 72% of broncos being built with 2.7 . 31 known Issues equals 0.00078. Interestingly I can across this article, even though it’s old it can still be a guide.

According to a recent study in the UK, Audi and MINI are among the automakers with the most engine failures.

In a poll conducted by Warranty Direct , the company studied its claims data to compile the study, with Honda, Toyota, and Mercedes-Benz topping the lists of automakers with the most reliable engines. Honda had an engine failure of 0.29 percent, while Toyota came in second with 0.58 percent. Mercedes had one engine failure for every 119 engines, a failure rate of 0.84 percent.

For now rest easy. Ford .00078 failure is 1 every 1,277 engines.
Thank you.

So, out of 190,000 reservations, and an allocation of only 30%, it is reasonable to assume that 57,000 have been built and delivered. 31 failures identified on Bronco6g.com is an engine failure rate of 0.054% so far.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/01/2...-only-fill-around-30-percent-of-reservations/
Sponsored

Last edited: