First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The claim is no replacement motor due to the current 2.7 motor needs to be re-engineered or designed. This is a Huge statement which has to be verified by a Ford Motor Representative
In the product distribution system Ford has established, DEALERS are Ford's representative to the consumer. Management at Georgia's largest Ford dealer says they've "not had any issues at my dealership thus far" (Jan 14).

When I picked mine up in mid-October they'd already delivered more than a dozen....I'd guess 3x-4x that by now. My contact speaks to Dearborn weekly, and hasn't heard squat from them. If Ford ain't telling their primo customers Anything, I'm not thinking they'll tell us lowly consumers anything either.
Sponsored

Bubbabow

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
THis is my last speculation. It seems that it would be possible that around mid August they went to another supplier or improved part. They may have still had a large supply of engines produced in the three months of the damaged ones. So they might have had to scrap them and “reengineer” all others produced from that date on. Thus between replacements and new Broncos they are behind in supply. So could be both a under supply being branded as a change in engineering. So could be both issues that caused now a undersupply from a prior reengineer of the damaged part.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We're piling speculation upon speculation here. Among the things we don't know:
  • If there's an issue (although there is certainly mounting evidence)
  • If the issue is confined to engines produced in a particular time frame
  • If all produced 2.7L engines have the underlying cause
  • If the issue is design or manufacturing
  • If there's already a fix
  • If there's any kind of freeze on 2.7L production/scheduling
  • If the part number changes have anything to do with this issue whatsoever
1) catastrophic engine failure in the 1st 5k miles of vehicle service is NOT normal for Ford. These are NOT "made up" reports...they are happening.

2) Issue IS happening in a time frame...we know the beginning, but not the end...not yet.

3) there is no need to know this.

4) The fact that the same engine is used in a much more widely produced model answers this.

5) TBD, But apply situation #1

6) Nobody mentioned production hold...however we DO have a replacement engine hold going on...that is a common move to "stop the bleeding" till engineering sorts it out.

7) also irrelevant, but, think of another reason?

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

In the product distribution system Ford has established, DEALERS are Ford's representative to the consumer. Management at Georgia's largest Ford dealer says they've "not had any issues at my dealership thus far" (Jan 14).

When I picked mine up in mid-October they'd already delivered more than a dozen....I'd guess 3x-4x that by now. My contact speaks to Dearborn weekly, and hasn't heard squat from them. If Ford ain't telling their primo customers Anything, I'm not thinking they'll tell us lowly consumers anything either.
I don't think Ford will be calling this out to dealers or consumers until they find/figure out the exact root cause and the scope of what the fix looks like for cars on the road and cars sitting in the service shops.

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
4300 miles...on this one, still no issues. Waiting with bated breath, headed to Moab in April and really need this thing to blow now if it's gonna do it.

b2.jpg
Same date as mine. 1300 miles and so far all is well.

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me at least, a small comforting thing is that these are all relatively low mileage. Max so far noted is ~4500. If that holds true, it seems that if you can make it past 5k, you're out of the danger zone?

WClintM

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To me at least, a small comforting thing is that these are all relatively low mileage. Max so far noted is ~4500. If that holds true, it seems that if you can make it past 5k, you're out of the danger zone?
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. My engine's build date is 7/15/2021, and I'm at 4,227 miles with no issues. Oil analysis at 1000 miles was clean, and I just sent off a sample from the oil change I did last night...

desert_rat

Big Bend
First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I keep reading through all the comments and just cringe..... I have a 2.7 2 door badlands with a build date of 8/12 but then it sat at Dirt Mountain till the end of November for a new hard top. My Bronco was delivered on 12/22 but I was immediately told they couldn't sell it to me because it is one of the Bronco's that has a defective passenger side airbag. Which they still have not been able to get a replacement for. So there it sits in the dealer showroom, waiting for me to find out if I have a bad engine or not. Sigh............... Maybe that will be a good thing, might know more about the issue and possible future updates from Ford. Knowing how Ford communicates.....probably not. LOL
You should go pay it a visit in the showroom and get a pic of the build number/assembly date sticker on the engine.

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wow. bronco nation? more like big brother nation 🙄
Unicorns and rainbows only allowed over there. They’re definitely not interested in ANY issues or potential problems with the bronco. I just quit reading over there. I want ALL info, warts and all. The good and the bad. I’m looking forward to my eventual bronco and I want to know as much as possible about it. Why some want to pretend MIC 1.0 didn’t happen (remember all the “nothing to see hear” folks?) or that there’s a potential 2.7 issue just amuses me.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Swampy

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F350 XLT Crewcab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If this happens to us, should we be concerned about having them replace more than just the engine? How can we rest easy knowing that metal pieces didn’t make their way into other parts of the vehicle that will cause damage later?
😳🤪

93_SVT_3503

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150, 1967 Bronco U-14, 1993 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I still don't believe this is a 'significant' problem that everyone needs to be freaking out about. The numbers aren't there, yet, and hopefully won't be. It's been narrowed down to 2 specific time frames, and Ford is actively addressing the issues when they occur. They're just not coming out and telling everyone the sky is falling, or it would kill their sales. From the samples shown, they don't need to. If this were like the issues that GM has been having for the last 3+ years with their Dynamic Fuel Management system bending pushrods and collapsing lifters at an alarming rate, than yes we should be worried. I've seen DOZENS and DOZENS of videos of GM shops with 5-10 newer SUV's with less than 5k miles sitting on their lots waiting to be fitted with new parts, and the forums are full of them. This Tahoe forum alone has 4 pages of threads that come up when you search 'lifter issue'. Not to mention the fact GMs fix isn't even guaranteed to fix the issue long term.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] gm response

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/08/how-gm-dealers-handle-engine-valve-lifter-issues/

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 6.2 lifter
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 6.2 lifter 2

Just by seeing the part number change on the heads shows that Ford is already on top of the issue. I'd watch closely, but unless you're near the aforementioned time frames for the bad valves, just send it.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still don't believe this is a 'significant' problem that everyone needs to be freaking out about. The numbers aren't there, yet, and hopefully won't be. It's been narrowed down to 2 specific time frames, and Ford is actively addressing the issues when they occur. They're just not coming out and telling everyone the sky is falling, or it would kill their sales. From the samples shown, they don't need to. If this were like the issues that GM has been having for the last 3+ years with their Dynamic Fuel Management system bending pushrods and collapsing lifters at an alarming rate, than yes we should be worried. I've seen DOZENS and DOZENS of videos of GM shops with 5-10 newer SUV's with less than 5k miles sitting on their lots waiting to be fitted with new parts, and the forums are full of them. This Tahoe forum alone has 4 pages of threads that come up when you search 'lifter issue'. Not to mention the fact GMs fix isn't even guaranteed to fix the issue long term.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 6.2 lifter 2

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/08/how-gm-dealers-handle-engine-valve-lifter-issues/

Just by seeing the part number change on the heads shows that Ford is already on top of the issue. I'd watch closely, but unless you're near the aforementioned time frames for the bad valves, just send it.
So basically Toyota needs to release a convertible FJ. Gotcha.
Sponsored