First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some transparency on the issue. A TSB describing the root cause, alluding to the failure rate, build dates affected, etc.

With all of the data we have saying otherwise, maybe this really is a tiny chance of each of us being affected.

Bottom line is this is a safety issue. This isn’t waffling patterns or rough edges on the MIC top. Why were they all over that and not this? Because stuff like this is really bad for their reputation. People don’t mess with safety issues.

So, whether we are overreacting or this really is as bad as it seems, have some honesty and transparency and allow us to feel safe driving this vehicle that we love.
I still fail to see how Ford saying any of that stuff would help the situation at all
Sponsored

mmmeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So someone with a blown engine mentioned a few pages back that a tech said their Bronco had zero coolant in it when it was brought in. I decided to check my reservoir (nov build date, 600 miles) and I'm a little concerned that its sitting below MIN. Is this thing burning coolant already?

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG_0840

It's tough to get a good angle, so here's some annotations:
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG_0840

faziorf

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR OBX AMB
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So someone with a blown engine mentioned a few pages back that a tech said their Bronco had zero coolant in it when it was brought in. I decided to check my reservoir (nov build date, 600 miles) and I'm a little concerned that its sitting below MIN. Is this thing burning coolant already?
There are reports that they were coming low on coolant from the factory for whatever reason:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/low-coolant-level-at-delivery.33097/

It's even on the Delivery Checklist that is being maintained. It boggles my mind that something like "low coolant" is not part of the PDI, but here we are...

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Burning oil I can understand for some new engines, given the piston rings may not seat for a bit. Burning coolant is a much more serious concern. Have you verified there’s no evidence of a coolant leak anywhere in your engine bay?

mmmeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Burning oil I can understand for some new engines, given the piston rings may not seat for a bit. Burning coolant is a much more serious concern. Have you verified there’s no evidence of a coolant leak anywhere in your engine bay?
No signs at all, parking spot is bone dry 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

IMG_0840.jpeg

IMG_0840.jpeg
IF there is a head porosity issue, that might account for the loss of coolant. Porosity issues have happened with most manufacturers that use cast heads. I was thinking this a few pages ago, but if there is a void in the head next to a valve stem, that could cause a failure of the valve like we are seeing. It might also account for the loss of coolant.

Having the vehicle go down is definitely a bad thing, but at least they are happening early so there is no question of warranty claim issues. Hopefully we figure shit out soon.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2.7 is 10/21 and we took delivery of it 12/4 and have 2800 miles on it thus far. Just did an oil change in the garage last week on it.

Lugerdog

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good point. the old castech heads on my 2004 GMC 5.3 got pitted and started eating coolant. just about blew that engine. I caught it..... Had to change the oil every 100 miles or so just to restart the timebomb

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found the actual website for the Lima Plant here:
https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage/news-and-clipsheet/plants/na/lima-engine.html

Which had a link to the "State of the Plant Newsletter" here:
https://www.at.ford.com/en/homepage...ive/2022/1/state-of-the-plant-newsletter.html

There was mention of a known valve issue in this newsletter

I sent an email with a link to this thread so they could be aware of the information gathered here. I'll let you guys know if I get a response...
No surprise but I have not received a response to my email. It just would be really nice for @Ford Motor Company to.
1) Make some acknowledgement to this issue (as it obviously was a known issue based on their own newsletter)
2) Give some information on their findings of the cause
3)If there are such findings give an estimate of what date ranges may be affected or when the above mentioned changes went into effect.

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sorry I didn’t read all 86 pages of your thread. Have these pics been posted for you mechanical sleuths? There were also few videos I’ve posted in the past of Ford techs showing the 2.7 destroyed as well but looks like they have been wiped from the interwebs. 🤔

BE6E1690-A1C4-46DA-BBBC-2F1EAC292A59.jpeg
35C414E3-11C8-4453-947B-6B5E82E84C84.jpeg
29D18427-13C9-4403-8EB1-78E6EF29CFAA.jpeg

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That October one was a sticker someone posted for reference i think
e not a blown engine

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

IMG_0840.jpeg

IMG_0840.jpeg
I don’t think you can assume it is burning/losing coolant if you don’t know if it ever had a full level of coolant present. I don’t want to point at the mechanics who are doing PDI’s as missing fluid levels. But their excuse will be that they are too busy, or forgot. Each car we buy should come with a PDI inspection checklist, that the mechanic and service manager sign off on. Just saying.
Sponsored