First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Scroll down to the bottom. It’s under complaints. The letters are in attached documents.

1650115056562.png
NHTSA has quite a large website. Where do I begin? Is there a link? I searched “complaints” but can’t seem to find it.
Sponsored

FreshKsig

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Bronco, 22 BB Bronco, 21 Mustang Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Just got back from a week long road trip to Off-Roadeo and beyond. I just said F it in some of the most remote driving our country has to offer. Over big mountains, below sea level in Death Valley, 100+ degree driving outside of Vegas and the majority of it at 80 mph+. 40+ hrs. behind the wheel and over 2k miles. I'm at 7445 miles now on a 21214 with three engines blown on that build day (one of which is 4 engines in front of mine in sequence, one 15 after). Sell it or use it I say. Could happen at any time I guess but only one way to find out (crossing fingers and knocks on wood).
IMG_2205.jpg
I’m also a 21214 and have been nervous but adopted your same attitude. Just got back from a 1500 mile road trip through central Oregon. No problems. Hit 5,000 miles.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands '07 Grand Prix GXP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like this list isn't expanding at all. That's good news, maybe they worked thru the bad batch :)

Mrpenn46

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands - Cactus Gray
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not blown but mine has a valve cover leak, parts are on order.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
in Ford Service Technicians Forum there are multiple reports of broken valves at the keeper groove
- in the failed engine replacements, many times they don't perform a full diagnostic but sometimes they look into it
valve stem w keeper groove.jpg

valve assembly.jpg
The exploded view reminds me of the cap I put on top of my 1970 VW beetle engine valve stems because the top of the valve stems were worn out. @Lucchese does part 6571 click into the keeper groove or is it to provide standoff between the spring and stem? Or would it be part 6514 that engages that groove. what is part 6571? If the valve is failing at the keeper groove, then it would be the stem that was not properly heat treated or made of the wrong steel alloy. I used to work in the O&G industry, and I recall a well that was completed in the 90's with 5-1/2" casing that was made in China. I can't recall the casing grade, but typically the best pipe has a minimum yield stress between 80kpsi to 110kpsi for use in the industry. This pipe had a catastrophic failure under pressure. The failure point exhibited brittle failure. (45 degree angle sheer failure). It appears the casing was out of spec with regard to hardness. It was too hard. It was possible some lug head thought exceeding the hardness spec was OK, and the pipe was shipped and sold. Is it possible this is what happen at LEP? Is it possible that a valve stem that exceeds the minimum yield strength may have looked good to an inexperienced tech, so they passed the valves without considering the hardness spec? I am certain this sort of failure happens in all industries, and in some cases the mistakes are recognized, but someone makes the decision to let it go and hope for the best. Sometimes they get away with their exceedingly poor decisions, and sometimes they don't. In the end, those who decide to let it go and hope for the best have no place in organizations where not doing their jobs will result in property damage, injury or death. I can't know if there are any managers in FoMoCo who make exceedingly poor decisions and minimize risks because they have gotten away with their bad decisions in the past. But I will mention just one case where managers made the wrong decision because they thought they could ignore the engineers who told them the conditions were out of spec.

NASA SHUTTLE CHALLENGER.
"Come on guys, it is just a simple o-ring".

99C718B6-B8AB-4ED4-8C9E-E2FDC9A1DB70.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like this list isn't expanding at all. That's good news, maybe they worked thru the bad batch :)
I swear the OP had a post in the past day or so that said 1 possibly 2 were incoming? Can't find it now??

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

blown engine reported - 'Bronco 6th Gen' @FB
- Bill Thorpe - January 6, ~ 2700 mi
- ref: @Mean Red GT and @Evolkidbell

maybe Mr. Thorpe will share the engine ser#, or last-8 digits of VIN
- we hope to include the engine build-date in B6g tracking

Blown Engines List - Updates
- w recent new info it appears lines 13) and 15) were prob same person
- i.e. fbf of bytheway, and charr124@BN
- not 100% sure, but prob same I believe
- so for now these two are combined, in line# 13)

- this new event w Bill Thorpe is now listed #15)

- the count stays 44

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Bill Thorpe @FB

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

blown engine reported - 'Bronco 6th Gen' @FB
- Nick Brown - April 11, ~ 7k mi
- listed #45)
- ref: @Evolkidbell, @bytheway, and @Mean Red GT

maybe Mr. Brown will share the engine ser#, or last-8 digits of VIN
- we hope to include the engine build-date in B6g tracking

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Nick Brown @FB - 1

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Nick Brown @FB - 2

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Nick Brown @FB - photo

Last edited:

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST, 2021 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn’t say I’ve panicked, but it was definitly nerve wracking being stranded on the side of a freeway with my dogs in between a guard rail and 18 wheelers for 90 minutes in 25 degree weather.

It’s all relative, but that was a big deal to me. That negative feeling has only been compounded by Ford’s unwillingness to shoulder the tow cost or even offer a courtesy car for the month+ it’s been out of comission since.

I only owned the car for 8 days when it died. Super frustrating. But yeah, I’m not panicked, I’m irritated.

I’d also advise those with Julian dates in the danger zone to drive the shit out of their Broncos and get the replacement over with if one is needed. That 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty doesn’t last forever.
You should be able to get a 100k powertrain warranty out of this. I did. It's worth asking for.
Sponsored