Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150/Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Our estimates might get better over time, but they might not either. Only Ford knows the real story and they aint talkin. I mean what are they afraid of? If all of the May-August 2.7's eventually blow it will cost them a fortune to replace, compared to doing valve jobs now. The stock is already in the toilet along with their rep.
Kind of sickening actually given that it is a safety issue.
I own 3 Fords and have only driven Fords in 30 years (ok, one POS Jimmy).
I would never buy another Ford.
So, I completely agree. I'm JD 169. 4th bronco and 8th Ford since I was 15 in 2004. I really don't want to be nervous driving this thing everyday, but damn they're making it hard. @Ford Motor Company it sure would be nice to have some reassurance and updates
Sponsored

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
There you go! Couldn't hold back eh?

Many of us here expect FoMoCo to fix a failed engine under warranty. That is not the point. Which makes me wonder if your Outer Banks will every be somewhere outside of North Dallas and beyond the safety of cell phone reception. Since you have used a computer generated image for your profile, I wonder if you even have a bronco. You haven't supported this group by adding your Julian Date to @VictoryLights 2.7 engine tracker, so I wonder why you are watching this thread at all.
@VictoryLights JD21211
Our estimates might get better over time, but they might not either. Only Ford knows the real story and they aint talkin. I mean what are they afraid of? If all of the May-August 2.7's eventually blow it will cost them a fortune to replace, compared to doing valve jobs now. The stock is already in the toilet along with their rep.
Kind of sickening actually given that it is a safety issue.
I own 3 Fords and have only driven Fords in 30 years (ok, one POS Jimmy).
I would never buy another Ford.
I agree with everything said except never buying a Ford again. There are many challenges for businesses to maintain their quality control with employee shortages across the nation. The Bronco is a success but came during the worst possible time.

Mataxis

Black Diamond
First Name
R. Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toy.Sequoia, 2020 Dodge Challenger ScatPack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To though who engine failed. What's your driving style when engine let goes? I believed my is on this engine build date list.

Bronco 2.7 Engine Code.jpg
I was on cruise control, going ~70, around 3 hours into a 12 hour drive. It was 25 degrees out. I had not been passing vehicles or accelerating quickly or anything like that. It just lost all power at the gas pedal and I drifted over to the shoulder to wait for the tow truck.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
@VictoryLights JD21211
I agree with everything said except never buying a Ford again. There are many challenges for businesses to maintain their quality control with employee shortages across the nation. The Bronco is a success but came during the worst possible time.
Please don't excuse Ford for hiding a safety issue during a difficult time. Are other manufacturers risking lives knowingly and hiding?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

To "maintain their quality control", they have to have had it in the first place!

Or, maybe you were not referring to Ford?

Farley aims to tackle Ford's warranty costs in bid to boost profit
Published almost 1 1/2 years ago - Reuters Nov 24th 2020
To attack internal quality problems, Ford has reconstituted teams that track the quality of inbound parts at its plants. These teams were previously disbanded as cost-cutting moves. Farley is pushing executives to resolve quality issues that linger beyond 30 days.

Ford's quality gap compared with GM has worsened during the past three years. Warranty claims have ballooned almost $2 billion since 2017, Credit Suisse analyst Daniel Levy said.

For the first nine months of 2020, Ford's warranty costs totaled $3.87 billion, while GM's were $1.68 billion, according to regulatory filings.

"It can be fixed," Warranty Week editor Eric Arnum said of Ford. "They just have to make the effort."
Quality is Job One None

Yet some insist "that's what a warranty is for".

Stands to reason this is why Ford service departments are so backed up.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess what I am trying to figure out here, is if you have a Lima built AA 2.7 in this Julian range, what makes you think you may somehow be "spared" since the plant essentially pointed out the updated design/material change regarding Nano valves in their "State of the Plant" brochure from January. There doesn't seem to be any debate about whether this issue exists or not as both Ford techs and owners who have had this happen all mention it being valve related.

I suppose maybe not ALL of the valves may have been bad, just some? But with it being tied to design/material issues (their words, not mine), I don't see how there could be any non-effected valves being used during that time frame. And those mentioning miles, that is a very tough metric to base anything off of. The way driver A drives their truck vs. the way driver B does can make all the difference from a time/mileage perspective.

So, I am honestly curious, not trying to troll or call anyone out. It just seems that if you tick all these boxes, chances are it may just be a matter of time and the gamble there being that you hope it's still under warranty. Regardless, not a fun topic to be discussing while trying to enjoy your new long awaited Bronco.
Based on my last extremely rough calculations, these engines may fail at a rate of 1%. It is possible there are 3 more blown engines for every 1 blown engine reported here. Only Ford Knows for Sure, OFKS. Right now, if your JD is in one of the danger zones, it is basically a crap shoot each time you start the engine until you turn it off. Failures have occurred accelerating from a stop, and have occurred while on cruise control at 70 mph. There are no warnings, no odd sounds, gasoline doesn't make a difference, break-in doesn't make a difference.

All of that said, yesterday, after driving at highway conditions for 100 km, I accelerated hard before arriving at a stop light. The Auto Stop activated, and I sat there for about 1 minute. I then smelled that acrid odor of the exhaust parts corrosion treatment offgasing. It smells kinda like struck matches. Anyway, I reached over and turned off the Auto Stop to keep the engine oil and coolant flowing in the engine while it was hot. I doubt very much this would lead to a RUD, but it just makes sense to keep turbos spinning and coolant circulating until the engine reaches a cooler equilibrium temperature. I have 1,568 km on a 21319, November 15, 2021 engine build. I am hoping Ford corrected the flawed parts issues by the time my engine was built.

I don't think we can say anyone has been spared the risk of RUD, and I really don't think anyone with a JD pre 21224 can relax. If you go off road alone, consider a Garmin inReach if you are out of cell coverage or don't go anywhere you can't walk out from.

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

16,000 miles so far ...

I'm not going to be happy with an engine replacement if mine fails for the simple reason I'll loose my engine numbers matching!!!

I'd prefer new heads, or I'd ask to keep the old engine.

I'm not worried, but aware ! Big difference.

20220316_061917.jpg

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Based on my last extremely rough calculations, these engines may fail at a rate of 1%. It is possible there are 3 more blown engines for every 1 blown engine reported here. Only Ford Knows for Sure, OFKS. Right now, if your JD is in one of the danger zones, it is basically a crap shoot each time you start the engine until you turn if off. Failures have occurred accelerating from a stop, and have occurred while on cruise control at 70 mph. There are no warnings, no odd sounds, gasoline doesn't make a difference, break-in doesn't make a difference.

All of that said, yesterday, after driving at highway conditions for 100 km, I accelerated hard before arriving at a stop light. The Auto Stop activated, and I sat there for about 1 minute. I then smelled that acrid odor of the exhaust parts corrosion treatment offgasing. It smells kinda like struck matches. Anyway, I reached over and turned off the Auto Stop to keep the engine oil and coolant flowing in the engine while it was hot. I doubt very much this would lead to a RUD, but it just makes sense to keep turbos spinning and coolant circulating until the engine reaches a cooler equilibrium temperature. I have 1,568 km on a 21319, November 15, 2021 engine build. I am hoping Ford corrected the flawed parts issues by the time my engine was built.

I don't think we can say anyone has been spared the risk of RUD, and I really don't think anyone with a JD pre 21224 can relax. If you go off road alone, consider a Garmin inReach if you are out of cell coverage or don't go anywhere you can't walk out from.
I agree đź‘Ť!

I keep a Garmin with me too.

I also NEVER used auto start stop, and maybe why mines lasted 16K so far???..

Your correct about heat soak when the engine shuts off!
People don't realize this feature is NOT helpful for your engine PERIOD.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a 21209, just crossed 7000 myself, but life circumstances leaves my Bronco parked nearly every day now. I'd almost rather it blow sooner rather than later because I have a lot of things I'd like to do. I'm not too thrilled with the idea of getting stranded off-road somewhere.

As for the argument that things can break anyway: no shit, really? this is my daily driver, thank you. sometimes I think a lot of the crowd have Bronco's as second (or third, or fifth) vehicles. I can however control how stupid I drive off-road and the likelihood of damaging a component. I can't say I can plan around an engine grenading.

EDIT:

Final comment: I've been in this situation before with a motorcycle. My Triumph 675 Daytona had the timing chain come off the crank shaft at 80mph on a Florida highway and locked the rear wheel up. It was absolutely terrifying for this to happen in traffic. It took Triumph USA six months to get me a new engine because it wasn't their "policy". I did eventually get it back, and rode it maybe three or four times before selling it and going and buying another Honda.
I grew up avoiding British motorcycles. British manufacturing suffered during the 70's, and it is pretty hard to shake that memory. I rode a GSXR at crazy speeds and often worried about the chain.

Question: if you pulled the clutch, was the rear wheel still locked up?

Last edited:

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree đź‘Ť!

I keep a Garmin with me too.

I also NEVER used auto start stop, and maybe why mines lasted 16K so far???..

Your correct about heat soak when the engine shuts off!
People don't realize this feature is NOT helpful for your engine PERIOD.
I have a 2012 BMW X5 35d, and learned about how important turbo etiquette is. I like the ASS for running around town, but need to remember to turn it off when I have been driving at highway speeds. AND, let it idle for a minute or two before shutting it off. I don't think the ASS is responsible for the RUD's, but it is important for engine longevity to keep the engine happy. Take time to warm up and cool down. Just like a race horse needs to warm up and cool down.

Reactions: Cat

Sponsored

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, even without the full participation of those on this list, we have as many NHTSA complaints as the HD TurboDiesel Rams that were investigated and then recalled.

What gives NHTSA?

Last edited:

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
16,000 miles so far ...

I'm not going to be happy with an engine replacement if mine fails for the simple reason I'll loose my engine numbers matching!!!

I'd prefer new heads, or I'd ask to keep the old engine.

I'm not worried, but aware ! Big difference.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 20220316_061917
This.

jeremy.wilson237

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Ford Super duty, Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So we are over 90 days since our engine dropped a valve. we have yet to get our bronco back. We have been waiting on a couple parts now for like a month. I gave the Ford rep an ear full last week. How am I waiting on bolts when these engines are being assembled daily with the exact bolts that I need to have my motor finished.

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So we are over 90 days since our engine dropped a valve. we have yet to get our bronco back. We have been waiting on a couple parts now for like a month. I gave the Ford rep an ear full last week. How am I waiting on bolts when these engines are being assembled daily with the exact bolts that I need to have my motor finished.
But that's what the warranty's for!!

In all seriousness, sorry to hear it's been a PITA. Based on others timeline here it sounds like your dealer sucks. Do you have a loaner or being reimbursed for car rental??
Sponsored