www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol

*Funded by General Motors.
They're too busy stroking those JD Power awards to worry about silly things like reliability.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is some data I ran across...I cannot confirm its' reliability or accuracy ----- 1 in 80 seems pretty bad to me.....Only Honda really impresses me----FYI----

1643068313169.png
Maybe if you could cite the source of this data?

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have 6000 miles of almost exclusively sport mode. No need to wait, just drive within the breakin parameters. I am finally using normal mode now.
I don't get it. Why run in Sport mode to break in?

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't get it. Why run in Sport mode to break in?
Also are we saying that if you don’t properly break in your car, this could be a cause for an engine blown? Dropped cylinder?

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It's simple folks. Why go public with a problem, until you can also include a fix.

My guess, once Ford feels like they have a handle, they'll probably do some announcement that blames covid and some third party as to why some early engines have problems.

They will then say how they're going to extend some sort of warranty for those early engines and the Blue public Will eat it up and Ford's PR will be all sunshine.

Meanwhile, there will be many people stranded, hopefully close enough to civilization, When their engine blows, cursing ford .... And yet Ford will continue on with all their great ideas and getting kudos for vehicles they have not built yet, or barely built.

With all the mess up with this release, and how bad they have treated their reservation holders, yet we have seen nothing but Ford praise.... What makes you think this cluster would be any different.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My
Engine was built nov 15 why don’t ford issue a recall so we can get our vehicles in instead of breaking down on the road and not only blowing the engine but destroying 2 turbos in the process. Seems it would be cheaper if they just issued the recall
Until the price of all warranty fixes become cheaper than a recall, it makes no business sense to do this.

And you can replace a lot of engines. So unless people start getting injured and massive lawsuits threaten to raise that $ number, a full recall just would not make sense.

And although we don't have a number, we know for a fact that there are 2.7 engines out there that are working just fine and have made it well over the 5K mark.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Until the price of all warranty fixes become cheaper than a recall, it makes no business sense to do this.

And you can replace a lot of engines. So unless people start getting injured and massive lawsuits threaten to raise that $ number, a full recall just would not make sense.

And although we don't have a number, we know for a fact that there are 2.7 engines out there that are working just fine and have made it well over the 5K mark.
I don’t know what the median or mean mileage is for all 2021 AA engine Broncos, but I don’t think we can assume that when one of our Broncos cross some arbitrary mileage like a 5000 mile mark, that they are in the clear. Bad metallurgy, eg valves have too high a young’s modulus and are so brittle they don’t deform under stress but fracture can fail anytime. Usually sooner than later but there can be exceptions. Are the failures based in X stress cycles, or do extreme temperatures, or extreme cold temperatures, or excess high or low differential pressure across the valve seat cause the failure?

Do we know bad valves are the problem, or is the engine programming too aggressive. Would de-tuning the extra 15 lb-ft of torque out save an engine? I am sure Ford engineers either know what the problem is or do they just think they know. I would think Ford would want to be sure their engineers know exactly what the issue is before sending out an engineering bulletin. It would suck to pull heads and replace valves when the problem is something else. As an engineer, I would want every blown engine in my shop and in our hands.

In the mean time, I really don’t want my nano torn apart to replace anything if that is at all possible. I will break-in mine the best I know how, and follow all maintenance requirements. Plus, I will probably change the oil based on severe service even though it is not. Sending the used oil off for analysis would be a good idea too. Unless Ford knows exactly what the issue is, Ford should want to look at the used oil too.

Gamecock2010

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is one 2.7 failure at my dealership. Had to drop my Bronco off to have some to have the drivers door and hood aligned properly (annoying but not the end of the world). Body shop is dragging its feet so been a week and i went by the dealer to check on it and the guy at the front desk asked me, "which vehicle are you checking on?". when i said my bronco he said "oh you must be the blown motor. I thought we already got you a loaner vehicle" :eek:.

Turns out, mine is still sitting in the body shop and the motor is fine, but they are out there.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
- the engine temp just got a little warmer
- we got engine ser# for line# 30 - 21181
- & now have 17 out of 21 sequence#'s

- still working two more engine ser#'s

- in OP, the table is updated, but not the graphs yet
Are all the failures 6007 AA engines? And if so, have there been some other designation, not 6007(?) that 2021 nano owners have received?

Sponsored

CGCarolinaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base (Hubby) 2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wonder if it was a line Engine Worker that didn’t know what they were doing?? Read other 2.7L are perfectly fine. Maybe a newbie that didn’t know squat?!?! Has me wondering. 🧐

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My take on this issue is this…as soon as Ford Corporate goes public with an issue with any of its products, the value of that product decreases drastically as far as resale goes. I’m perfectly fine with them fixing the issue behind the scenes. Not to mention, going public opens the company up to class action law suits. If mine has an issue, and they fix it properly, I chalk it up to the price of doing business. I love my Bronco BTW. At 2900 miles, I’m definitely in the window now.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's simple folks. Why go public with a problem, until you can also include a fix.

My guess, once Ford feels like they have a handle, they'll probably do some announcement that blames covid and some third party as to why some early engines have problems.

They will then say how they're going to extend some sort of warranty for those early engines and the Blue public Will eat it up and Ford's PR will be all sunshine.

Meanwhile, there will be many people stranded, hopefully close enough to civilization, When their engine blows, cursing ford .... And yet Ford will continue on with all their great ideas and getting kudos for vehicles they have not built yet, or barely built.

With all the mess up with this release, and how bad they have treated their reservation holders, yet we have seen nothing but Ford praise.... What makes you think this cluster would be any different.
Ford has a chance to capture me as a lifelong customer. I have always wanted to buy American vehicles but due to reliability concerns have always stuck with Honda and Toyota.

The Bronco was just too perfect for me to pass up on, so I bit. I fully expect minor issues with a new vehicle design, but valve issues on an engine that you’ve been producing for years? Wtf

If they’re smart they will do right by the people like me by being honest, transparent, and fixing the issue before I’m stranded on the side of the road or worse yet in a forest somewhere.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Completely agree. What owners of failed engines need to do though is report it to the NHTSA. It's easily done through their website. If they see enough failures, they will investigate. Then most likely cause Ford to initiate a recall based on their findings.

Subaru in recent years had an issue with some bad valve springs. They would crack and fail with very similar results to what is going on here. The NHTSA made them do a recall on the over 400,000 cars affected which is a heck of a lot more than with the 2.7 situation here.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford has a chance to capture me as a lifelong customer. I have always wanted to buy American vehicles but due to reliability concerns have always stuck with Honda and Toyota.

The Bronco was just too perfect for me to pass up on, so I bit. I fully expect minor issues with a new vehicle design, but valve issues on an engine that you’ve been producing for years? Wtf

If they’re smart they will do right by the people like me by being honest, transparent, and fixing the issue before I’m stranded on the side of the road or worse yet in a forest somewhere.
All it can take is just a supply issue with the valves. Maybe a bad batch, change in supplier, or other things, Just because they have been producing the same engine doesn't mean things haven't been updated.

My 16 miata had a bad batch of 2nd gear due to a defect in a run of gears. It happens
Sponsored