Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just hit 10k today. No issues. Just nerves. Kinda. Still won’t consider any engine mods at this point.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 35960769-65D7-4B2A-BC3A-C1410941259C
Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Reading one of the other threads it appears there's a major issue with service bays being readily available and staffing. Increased wait times. That whole skilled labor shortage thing. So if Ford did announce anything soon, dismissing a parts shortage, there's not enough trained techs and labor to timely address. Ford may very well realize this.

And ya'll thought you waited a long time to get your Bronco. The wait to get work done on your bad batch engine may be longer. Sure hope not.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Reading one of the other threads it appears there's a major issue with service bays being readily available and staffing. Increased wait times. That whole skilled labor shortage thing. So if Ford did announce anything soon, dismissing a parts shortage, there's not enough trained techs and labor to timely address. Ford may very well realize this.

And ya'll thought you waited a long time to get your Bronco. The wait to get work done on your bad batch engine may be longer. Sure hope not.
I wonder if there's any chance they'd contract some of that work out to local mechanics if it becomes a big deal? Doubt it.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
not worried about parking the Bronco for a little while.
Yeah....we might have to worry while we're driving it - but so we're 'all-good' as far as parking it

"Hyundai and Kia are telling owners of almost 500,000 cars and SUVs in the United States to park outside and away from buildings due to a possible defect that can cause the vehicles to spontaneously catch fire even when not running.
The problem is that, due to "foreign contaminants," the anti-lock brake computer control module can short circuit and possibly start a fire in the engine compartment. Hyundai issued a recall for 2016-2018 model year Santa Fe SUVs, 2017-2018 Santa Fe Sport SUVs, 2019 Santa Fe XL models and 2014-2015 Tucson SUVs. Kia is recalling 2016-2018 K900 sedans and 2014-2016 Sportage SUVs. In total, Hyundai is recallng 357,830 vehicles while Kia is recalling 126,747."

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately there is no magic mileage barrier. Too many different operating conditions to draw statistically meaningfull conclusions. Best advice is to prep a bag if you’re in a cold climate, and mentally plan what to do in a loss of power situation. That means:
1). Don’t panic
2). Shift to neutral
3). Steering at speed is no issue, brakes will work if you keep power on
4). Get on the shoulder in a safe manner (signals, mirrors, etc)
5). Leave enough room for the flatbed to pick it up

sure sucks to have to plan, but it’s better to have one and not need it than make it up on the spot.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You know . .
- these ADV Ram Air Hoods look pretty snazzy
- then occurred to me, what if Ford tries to void your warranty ?
- what if Ford says: "Your open Ram Air Hood flooded the engine w rain water, or car wash, . . that's why your engine blew-up", (w coolant & oil in the cylinders)

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 35960769-65D7-4B2A-BC3A-C1410941259C

The hood looks nice, but the Bronco is most likely a 4Cyl. so, it kind of takes away the sporty factor (to me anyway) that it gives off.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The hood looks nice, but the Bronco is most likely a 4Cyl. so, it kind of takes away the sporty factor (to me anyway) that it gives off.
Well all of them have grille mounted intercoolers, and don't have any use for ram air inlets in the hood at all, so not sure how I4 / V6 plays into it at all 😅

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well all of them have grille mounted intercoolers, and don't have any use for ram air inlets in the hood at all, so not sure how I4 / V6 plays into it at all 😅
You don't have to worry about the I4 droppin' a valve so that seems like a big advantage at the moment 😂

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

CanuckJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
so what numbers do we want to use? 50k broncos built last year, let’s be rediculous and say 20k are 2.7. If that’s the case

200 bad engines would be 1%

1,000 bad engines would be 5%.

we’re still far away from these numbers.

I’ll worry when we get closer to 10%
I hate to say it but my engine went yesterday as well, a bit of a ping-rattle and engine died and wouldn’t start. Exactly like everyone else explained. Right around 2500 miles on it, textbook. It’s at the dealer now being explored. Not to be paranoid but not happy that future issues may become evident from even a good mechanic replacing engine. Noticed a video online or another victim mentioning damage to turbos from debris, worth exploring.

fltechpilot

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Audi S3 1984 Porsche 928S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hate to say it but my engine went yesterday as well, a bit of a ping-rattle and engine died and wouldn’t start. Exactly like everyone else explained. Right around 2500 miles on it, textbook. It’s at the dealer now being explored. Not to be paranoid but not happy that future issues may become evident from even a good mechanic replacing engine. Noticed a video online or another victim mentioning damage to turbos from debris, worth exploring.
Do you have the build date of your engine?

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So sorry to hear that! Hopefully they’ll get you going in a timely fashion. If you read the first post, we’re collecting the Julian dates from the motors, build dates, etc so we can track what’s going on. If you can, let us know if you can find that out and what your dealer says. We are trying to pressure Ford into acknowledging an issue.
Also- lots of helpful info on handling this issue as well from those with prior experience.

Last edited:

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So will this be 35 if confirmed along with the one from yesterday now?
Sponsored