First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In a serious note: considering the information we currently have at hand, there appears to have been a QA issue at the Lima Ohio Engine Plant related to out of spec engine head parts, i.e.,. "Supply based and design issues negatively impacted external quality issues. . . . Nano valve supplier issue was resolved with more robust design and material changes at the supplier" as published in the "State of the Plant" Lima Engine Plant January 2022 newsletter. It appears that this letter was from the Lima Engine Plant Manager Shawn Stewart. We are relatively certain based on what was published by the Lima plant that they knew they had a problem with something related to supplier/suppliers meeting specs for our 2.7L EcoBoost Engines, (Nano engines). Shawn Stewart has admitted so much in his newsletter. I am assuming, and look to the group to correct me, that they had built engines that did not meet some level of external quality assurance indicator. I ask, did valves fail on a test stand indicating valve QA issues? Since the news letter references external quality indicators, not internal quality indicators, I propose completed engines failed some sort of test, not that they caught out of spec parts before they were built into the engines. But if I am wrong and what they are referencing was an external valve manufacture quality indicators that stopped production, then that is IMHO is what should have happened. And if that is what happened, those of us outside of the failure envelope should have reason to be hopeful. Will Ford share this with us?

Shutting down production for a time would be a good sign. The newsletter references a "cancelation of 75+ days due to shortages". An out of spec NANO valve once identified resulting in a shortage should result in NANO production stoppage. This is a good thing to read. I wonder if anyone at the Lima plant can say; "Quality is free". Because the lack of quality is very very expensive in the cost of doing something over the right way, and loss of customer loyalty. My future loyalty to Ford is most definitely going to be based on how confident I am in my Bronco between today and whenever I decide to sell it, if I do sell it at all.

I don't know the tolerance level Ford Engine Plant has for quality assurance, but any company that claims they build only quality would shut down production if any part going into their produce failed to meet internal quality assurance measures. Perhaps we would not have anything to talk about on this thread had FoMoCo shut down Nano production the instant they determined they had out of spec parts until the out of spec part issue was resolved. If they had, we should know if our engine build had the bad valves or not. What happened to these engines is a topic for discussion I think. My experience is that companies like to talk about quality until they don't. It was a buzz word for most of my career. I always thought that at Ford, "Quality is Job One" was their mantra until I found out recently that they dropped it many years ago.

In closing, if you knew your company built a number of Broncos with bad engine parts, would you consider stacking those Bronco on your lot until you could fix the problem, or would you just send them out to the dealerships to sell? I think I would park them, and then send out hammocks and backpack to the reservation holders until I could fix them. Possibly claim the issues was unrelated to an engine subject to EB. I will be interested to see if any 2021 Broncos built last year that were held back for MIC tops end up on Dealership lots with AB Engines.
Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wonder if anyone at the Lima plant can say; "Quality is free". Because the lack of quality is very very expensive in the cost of doing something over the right way, and loss of customer loyalty.
Quarterly financial results rule the world (and compensation plans). All else is a fairy tale.

"Will we have to fix it later??? Probably, but maybe we will have more profit cushion that quarter to soften the blow."

Last edited:

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think 2.7s have electric brake boosters.

And with a vacuum booster you should still have at least one assisted stop.
You are correct, part of the list is to keep accesorie power active. Nice catch.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

In a serious note: considering the information we currently have at hand, there appears to have been a QA issue at the Lima Ohio Engine Plant related to out of spec engine head parts, i.e.,. "Supply based and design issues negatively impacted external quality issues. . . . Nano valve supplier issue was resolved with more robust design and material changes at the supplier" as published in the "State of the Plant" Lima Engine Plant January 2022 newsletter. It appears that this letter was from the Lima Engine Plant Manager Shawn Stewart. We are relatively certain based on what was published by the Lima plant that they knew they had a problem with something related to supplier/suppliers meeting specs for our 2.7L EcoBoost Engines, (Nano engines). Shawn Stewart has admitted so much in his newsletter. I am assuming, and look to the group to correct me, that they had built engines that did not meet some level of external quality assurance indicator. I ask, did valves fail on a test stand indicating valve QA issues? Since the news letter references external quality indicators, not internal quality indicators, I propose completed engines failed some sort of test, not that they caught out of spec parts before they were built into the engines. But if I am wrong and what they are referencing was an external valve manufacture quality indicators that stopped production, then that is IMHO is what should have happened. And if that is what happened, those of us outside of the failure envelope should have reason to be hopeful. Will Ford share this with us?

Shutting down production for a time would be a good sign. The newsletter references a "cancelation of 75+ days due to shortages". An out of spec NANO valve once identified resulting in a shortage should result in NANO production stoppage. This is a good thing to read. I wonder if anyone at the Lima plant can say; "Quality is free". Because the lack of quality is very very expensive in the cost of doing something over the right way, and loss of customer loyalty. My future loyalty to Ford is most definitely going to be based on how confident I am in my Bronco between today and whenever I decide to sell it, if I do sell it at all.

I don't know the tolerance level Ford Engine Plant has for quality assurance, but any company that claims they build only quality would shut down production if any part going into their produce failed to meet internal quality assurance measures. Perhaps we would not have anything to talk about on this thread had FoMoCo shut down Nano production the instant they determined they had out of spec parts until the out of spec part issue was resolved. If they had, we should know if our engine build had the bad valves or not. What happened to these engines is a topic for discussion I think. My experience is that companies like to talk about quality until they don't. It was a buzz word for most of my career. I always thought that at Ford, "Quality is Job One" was their mantra until I found out recently that they dropped it many years ago.

In closing, if you knew your company built a number of Broncos with bad engine parts, would you consider stacking those Bronco on your lot until you could fix the problem, or would you just send them out to the dealerships to sell? I think I would park them, and then send out hammocks and backpack to the reservation holders until I could fix them. Possibly claim the issues was unrelated to an engine subject to EB. I will be interested to see if any 2021 Broncos built last year that were held back for MIC tops end up on Dealership lots with AB Engines.
Ford got rid of quality in 1998.

Ford is jettisoning its 17-year-old 'quality is job one' tagline for 'Better ideas. Driven by you.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found an article earlier but can't find it now. It stated that Ford was reviving the phrase, "At Ford, Quality is Job 1", but have since lost the link. I didn't find a comment from 2020 where with the title, "Ford CEO Farley Wants to Make Quality Job 1 Again." I hope it is true.

Here it is:“Quality is job 110. https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/how-fords-making-sure-quality-is-job-1-once-again/

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I hate to say it but my engine went yesterday as well, a bit of a ping-rattle and engine died and wouldn’t start. Exactly like everyone else explained. Right around 2500 miles on it, textbook. It’s at the dealer now being explored. Not to be paranoid but not happy that future issues may become evident from even a good mechanic replacing engine. Noticed a video online or another victim mentioning damage to turbos from debris, worth exploring.
Can you post your engine sticker?

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah the Bronco is truly turning into Russian roulette. If it's not failed engines with the 2.7, failed brakes with 2.3, it's electrical gremlins or front axle/diffs.

Ford is truly redefining the "1st year" cliche.
Don't be so negative. We all know that cars have issues. I do not want the perfect anything. I want to have stuff to tinker on. I am coming from Honda so I am wanting to repair lots of stuff. I also loved working on my 1989 Bronco

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe change the door chime to play that instead of the default chime sound?

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't be so negative. We all know that cars have issues. I do not want the perfect anything. I want to have stuff to tinker on. I am coming from Honda so I am wanting to repair lots of stuff. I also loved working on my 1989 Bronco
Tinker is different from brand new engine blowing up in the first month

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Tinker is different from brand new engine blowing up in the first month
I do agree. Not the same. Just trying to stay positive.

CanuckJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Can you post your engine sticker?
Dealer verified that number 6 cylinder was the issue and a new engine is needed. They pushed back on the photo of engine serial number and wouldn’t take one but I will try to get one when it’s back outside.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dealer verified that number 6 cylinder was the issue and a new engine is needed. They pushed back on the photo of engine serial number and wouldn’t take one but I will try to get one when it’s back outside.
Its your vehicle, get that picture! Please!

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so what numbers do we want to use? 50k broncos built last year, let’s be rediculous and say 20k are 2.7. If that’s the case

200 bad engines would be 1%

1,000 bad engines would be 5%.

we’re still far away from these numbers.

I’ll worry when we get closer to 10%
I have a post tracking B6G posters total mileage so far. I have 50 respondents. I’m not naive to think that’s all the 2.7s on B6G, but that should give you an idea of how many owners actively post here. The fact that we have over 30 is definitely a problem. You aren’t looking at the problem correctly.

Krazed

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An e-bike
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a post tracking B6G posters total mileage so far. I have 50 respondents. I’m not naive to think that’s all the 2.7s on B6G, but that should give you an idea of how many owners actively post here. The fact that we have over 30 is definitely a problem. You aren’t looking at the problem correctly.
I tried to update mine but I think it might have made a second entry.
Sponsored